Can’t seem to get Compass?

CoStAs 1

Terrarian
So, I’ve started a new Expert playthrough on a Large World and I’ve just beaten Skeletron. I should be going for the WoF soon, but now that I have access to the dungeon and found the Mechanic, I decided to build a statue farm for rare drops. Namely, Money Trough, Compass, Diving Helmet, Jellyfish Necklace and Skull. Although I had troubles at first because I was using dart traps, and some statue spawned mobs don’t drop loot when killed by traps, but I’ve bypassed it using Lava to kill the mobs, and I’ve gotten every single thing I wanted except for...the Compass. I don’t know why, none of the hundreds of Undead Vikings I spawned have dropped it, and I can’t get it from underground mobs like Mother Slime either. I’ve read that it has a 1/200 chance of dropping from statue-spawned Undead Vikings, but after many hours of farming I’ve managed to get Money Trough and Shark Tooth Necklace from Blood Zombie and Drippler statues, which have a much lower drop rate. Is there a known bug that makes Compass unable to drop? Do statue-spawned Undead Vikings even drop it? Or am I just really, really unlucky? Any help is much appreciated.

So, I’ve started a new Expert playthrough on a Large World and I’ve just beaten Skeletron. I should be going for the WoF soon, but now that I have access to the dungeon and found the Mechanic, I decided to build a statue farm for rare drops. Namely, Money Trough, Compass, Diving Helmet, Jellyfish Necklace and Skull. Although I had troubles at first because I was using dart traps, and some statue spawned mobs don’t drop loot when killed by traps, but I’ve bypassed it using Lava to kill the mobs, and I’ve gotten every single thing I wanted except for...the Compass. I don’t know why, none of the hundreds of Undead Vikings I spawned have dropped it, and I can’t get it from underground mobs like Mother Slime either. I’ve read that it has a 1/200 chance of dropping from statue-spawned Undead Vikings, but after many hours of farming I’ve managed to get Money Trough and Shark Tooth Necklace from Blood Zombie and Drippler statues, which have a much lower drop rate. Is there a known bug that makes Compass unable to drop? Do statue-spawned Undead Vikings even drop it? Or am I just really, really unlucky? Any help is much appreciated.
I am pretty sure that lava also is considered a trap. You need to personally damage the spawned enemy at some point for it to be eligible for drops (Summons count for this purpose).

I am pretty sure that lava also is considered a trap. You need to personally damage the spawned enemy at some point for it to be eligible for drops (Summons count for this purpose).
I mean, I’m pretty sure I got the other drops through the lava trap, but I guess it’s worth a shot, thank you!

Really? I've never heard of that... Sounds right, because out of all my grinding from my cavern mob grinder, I've never gotten a compass. Huh!

This might be a bug in game code. I had exactly same problem (but in Small World and not in Expert mode): couldn't obtain specifically Compass after killing lots of Piranhas, Snow Flinxes etc. Tried to wire Undead Viking Statue to a timer, killed ~500 vikings (using minions and sword, not traps), got several Hooks and Viking Helmets. Then I decided to create a new world (medium, non-Expert), moved my character and mini-farm there and... got a Compass in several minutes.
One thing possibly worth noting is that the world on which this problem was encountered is quite old: it was generated in September 2016. Terraria version 1.3.5.3 on 64-bit Windows 7.

Back
Top Bottom