Can auto-spawning jungle trees grow underground?

Laluzi

Skeletron
The jungle can grow rich mahogany trees much the same way it grows grass, flowers, and large plants. The jungle also has mahogany trees underground. Hence, the title.

I've tried to confirm this for a while, but I can't get any to appear. A lot of this has to do with few potential areas in a natural jungle (tree needs two blocks clearance on either side and 24 open blocks above it, which vines would probably disrupt - probably also can't have background walls), and those 3x2 thick plants that constantly block the way. Even on the surface, the jungle seems likelier to grow those than it does trees, and a flat area will usually have to be cleared many times before a tree gets produced. Thankfully, acorns can be planted on the surface, cutting out the middleman (though those 3x2 plants can and will destroy saplings), but the same can't be said for the underground jungle.

In addition, the surface updates much more frequently than the underground layer, so plants of any kind take longer to appear.

So while I've created an artificial flat jungle with enough vertical clearance, I have yet to get any trees from it. Does anyone know for sure whether or not these underground trees are worldgen-only?

(For the record, I'm not talking about living mahogany trees, the common worldgen structure with an ivy chest in its trunk. I'm talking about trees that can be cut down with an axe.)

From what I can tell, trees post-gen can only grow (either from saplings or spontaneously) above the Underground layer. The underground Jungle trees are indeed explicitly created during World Gen, using a specific method to boot.

There is a workaround however...
Convert the area to Mushrooms. Glowing Mushroom 'trees' can grow underground. Once they grow, spray the Mushrooms with Green Solution. That turns the Mushrooms into Jungle, and the Mushroom 'trees' into Jungle trees.

There is a workaround however...
Convert the area to Mushrooms. Glowing Mushroom 'trees' can grow underground. Once they grow, spray the Mushrooms with Green Solution. That turns the Mushrooms into Jungle, and the Mushroom 'trees' into Jungle trees.
Interesting method. But are those overworld or underground mahogany trees? Because the worldgen-exclusive underground mahogany trees are very different to their overworld counterparts (they look similar to the living mahogany trees).

Interesting method. But are those overworld or underground mahogany trees? Because the worldgen-exclusive underground mahogany trees are very different to their overworld counterparts (they look similar to the living mahogany trees).
I tested just now and they turned into the Underground Mahogany Trees. @Laluzi, hopefully that gives you something to try in your world.

While I'm at it, you can get a few types of tree underground in this manner. If the area is converted to Corruption/Crimson (e.g. via Purple or Red Solution), you get underground Ebonwood/Shadewood trees. If you then spray the corruption/crimson area with Green or Blue Solution, you get Forest or Hallow trees respectively. (These underground trees look the same as their above ground counterparts.)

Brilliant. I'd tried getting natural mushroom walls that way - I don't know why I didn't think of getting the trees. As you say, this is a trick with a lot of variance. Thank you!

Ah. Seems like this didn't actually work - when I clentaminated the mushroom trees, they just popped off instead of turning back into mahogany trees.

Ah. Seems like this didn't actually work - when I clentaminated the mushroom trees, they just popped off instead of turning back into mahogany trees.
There are two variants of mushroom trees, one is the kind without branches that breaks upon conversion. The other kind has visible branches and is usually a bit taller, which is the kind you'll want to convert ;)

There are two variants of mushroom trees, one is the kind without branches that breaks upon conversion. The other kind has visible branches and is usually a bit taller, which is the kind you'll want to convert ;)
Branched mushroom trees only grow aboveground, though?

If the mushroom trees are partially underwater, they won't change. Even a little puddle will cause them to break rather than convert.

If the mushroom trees are partially underwater, they won't change. Even a little puddle will cause them to break rather than convert.
Unfortunately, that wasn't the case - they were all on dry land. Were you doing this with mushrooms that had been there at worldgen, or did you grow your own and convert them? I'd be curious to see where the difference lies.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the case - they were all on dry land. Were you doing this with mushrooms that had been there at worldgen, or did you grow your own and convert them? I'd be curious to see where the difference lies.
They were worldgen mushroom. I'll have to try self-grown mushrooms.

I did some more testing, and unfortunately yes - an artificial mushroom biome caused the mushrooms to pop off rather than change to trees. Very unusual and specific difference here.

Back
Top Bottom