Can I Use Official Terraria Music For My Channel's Intro

Can I use the official music in the intro?

• Yes! You can use it without any worries!

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Yes, but firstly you will need some permissions.

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No, I don't think you can do it...

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

SteveisNoob

Pixel Pirate
I'm thinking about starting a YouTube channel, in fact, the channel is already created, but I want to upload videos so I planned an intro. But it requires use of an in-game music track, and I'm not sure about licensing. So, I decided to ask it on the forums before starting to do something. And yes, the question also in the title, but, Can I use official Terraria music in my channel's intro?

Thread moved to the Forum Help and Feedback section, for lack of a more appropriate place.

I'm not a dev and can't give an official response, but, from a pure legal standpoint (disclaimer, I'm not a lawyer and nothing I say should be taken as legal advice), the short answer is no. The Terraria music and sounds are not, to my knowledge, released under any kind of copyleft license or for public use, they are strictly 'all rights reserved', and use of the music in your intro does not fall under fair use.

That some people have uploaded music to youtube does not mean that they are allowed to do it. My advice would be to look for public domain or copyleft licensed music to use, instead of the proprietary Terraria music.

I'm thinking about starting a YouTube channel, in fact, the channel is already created, but I want to upload videos so I planned an intro. But it requires use of an in-game music track, and I'm not sure about licensing. So, I decided to ask it on the forums before starting to do something. And yes, the question also in the title, but, Can I use official Terraria music in my channel's intro?
If you're planning on monetizing your videos with the "terraria ost" on the intro then you're going to have a big problem with that in terms of copyrights.
(don't use the whole ost when making your intro, at least 6-7 seconds of it will do:dryadwink:)

If you're planning on monetizing your videos with the "terraria ost" on the intro then you're going to have a big problem with that in terms of copyrights.
(don't use the whole ost when making your intro, at least 6-7 seconds of it will do:dryadwink:)

That is incorrect. Not making money from using copyrighted work doesn't stop the use from being infringement. Your second point would be relevant if the copyrighted work was being used under the terms of fair use, however using copyrighted work in a youtube channel's intro does not fall under fair use.

That is incorrect. Not making money from using copyrighted work doesn't stop the use from being infringement. Your second point would be relevant if the copyrighted work was being used under the terms of fair use, however using copyrighted work in a youtube channel's intro does not fall under fair use.
I see, have always thought giving credits on the description would do the job because I really haven't crossed any problems regarding using copyrighted music in the past years of making videos.
*EDIT*

Credits that promotes the composer/devs/producer's product and notifies the viewer of the usage of their product is for entertainment purpose only.
Anyways, I'm not going to argue with that since I'm not good with arguements.:dryadwink:

I see, have always thought giving credits on the description would do the job because I really haven't crossed any problems regarding using copyrighted music in the past years of making videos.

This is widely held misconception. It comes from copyleft licensed works, such as those released under Creative Commons Attribution and similar licenses, where giving credit is the only requirement to use the work. However, this is not the case for copyrighted works that are not released under such licenses, those you have to have explicit permission to use without infringing.

Most of the time, one isn't going to get called out on using copyrighted work in non fair use conditions, especially in small doses, but that doesn't stop it from being infringement. It is similar, in a way, to eating a grape or two at the supermarket; one most likely won't be caught or punished, but it still isn't legal.

Thread moved to the Forum Help and Feedback section, for lack of a more appropriate place.

I'm not a dev and can't give an official response, but, from a pure legal standpoint (disclaimer, I'm not a lawyer and nothing I say should be taken as legal advice), the short answer is no. The Terraria music and sounds are not, to my knowledge, released under any kind of copyleft license or for public use, they are strictly 'all rights reserved', and use of the music in your intro does not fall under fair use.

That some people have uploaded music to youtube does not mean that they are allowed to do it. My advice would be to look for public domain or copyleft licensed music to use, instead of the proprietary Terraria music.
Thanks Jeckel. Do you think it will work if I ask Crowno or D-Town, because I really don't want to have issues with licensing.
Edit: I also need the official musics, unless I find a good source of copyleft music which is a very much work for me...

Last edited:
Thanks Jeckel. Do you think it will work if I ask Crowno or D-Town, because I really don't want to have issues with licensing.

I don't know, but I would think a PM to Loki or Cenx would be a better place to start, though I would not get your hopes up. They had to pay for the music to be composed, so I wouldn't count on them allowing you or anyone else to use it on other projects for free.

Edit: I also need the official musics, unless I find a good source of copyleft music which is a very much work for me...

Anything worth doing is worth doing right, and that generally means putting some work into it. That said, there is a lot of free, public domain, and copyleft music out there of all kinds that can be found with google searching.

I don't know, but I would think a PM to Loki or Cenx would be a better place to start, though I would not get your hopes up. They had to pay for the music to be composed, so I wouldn't count on them allowing you or anyone else to use it on other projects for free.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right, and that generally means putting some work into it. That said, there is a lot of free, public domain, and copyleft music out there of all kinds that can be found with google searching.
I will try to find something free, thanks for helping :)

I wonder if I'm allowed to upload remixes to Spotify then
I think that if they sound sufficiently different and you credit the original song that you should be fine, but I don't really know how it all works.

I wonder if I'm allowed to upload remixes to Spotify then
There are a good many remixes on YT and Soundcloud that I know of, I don't see why you couldn't as long as Spotify allows that.

Just don't claim it's original music by you or try to sell your mixes, you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom