Serious Can the fish drown

Fish can drown if there is an interuption in their gills or some other problem that causes them to be unable to procure oxygen from the water. They can also drown if the water naturally doesn't contain a lot of oxygen or if there is some sort of competition for the oxygen and the water can't sustain the fish.

Fish do not have lungs, therefore they do not breathe, therefore their breathing can not be impaired, therefore they can't asphyxiate, therefore they can't drown.

I'm fine with taking non-serious thread seriously, but we do need to get the facts in order. ;)

Fish do not have lungs, therefore they do not breathe, therefore their breathing can not be impaired, therefore they can't asphyxiate, therefore they can't drown.

I'm fine with taking non-serious thread seriously, but we do need to get the facts in order. ;)
Fish still need to procure oxygen from the water to maintain bodily functions using their gills. So if there is not enough oxygen available or something is disrupting the gills, fish can in fact drown.

Funny thing is that sharks need to keep moving in order to breathe (with a few exceptions, such as nurse sharks and other bottom dwellers). It is their forward movement that cycles oxygen-rich water through their gills.

sharkman101’s username checks out lol

I think it’s safe to assume that OP does not own a shark. The most common cause of fish death for novice fish owners is ammonia poisoning, which occurs when a tank has not been properly cycled. For more details, read this article.

Fish still need to procure oxygen from the water to maintain bodily functions using their gills. So if there is not enough oxygen available or something is disrupting the gills, fish can in fact drown.
No, they can not.

Fish definitely need oxygen, I don't dispute that, but drowning specifically refers to asphyxiation via a liquid, asphyxiation refers specifically to oxygen deficiency due to breathing impairment, and breathing specifically refers to cycling air through the lungs; cycling water through the gills is not breathing. So since fish do not breathe, they per definition can't asphyxiate, or in extension, drown.

but fish will drown if there is no oxygen in the water because the water would suffocate them fish die on land because of oxygen poisoning.

The definition of drowning is to die from submersion in and inhaling water. Gills work similar to lungs, except with the ability to hold off water and take in smaller amounts of oxygen. Therefore, it is possible for a fish to drown, an submerging it in oxygen-free water would kill it by submersion in and inhaling water, only the water is lacking in oxygen content.

Back
Top Bottom