Weapons & Equip Can we expect BASIC equipment management ever?

polymorpher

Terrarian
Seriously games even in the early nineties had the decency to put your armor back on when you picked your corpse up. I love expert hardmode but i am forced out of it because i have to eqip and sort 50 items every single time i pick my items back.

Yes I can build the elaborate traps, and employ the various cheese strategies to die less and have the game play itself. Thats not the point.

I obviously don't want my first five hotbar items to be arrows, pigmy neclace, greed ring, shiny stone and gel. Nor does anyone else on the planet.

For the love of everything holy can we at least get inventory management ammenities that have been industry standard for the last 15 years?

Putting the helmet, sword and gun back where they were isn't that hard - I promise. I can write the code for you myself.

I was so thrilled when the favorite item system was introduced. Only to find out you have to favorite your entire inventory every single time you die. Dos nobody who develops this even play games with inventories. Its so bizarre.

I mean come on. You went and did a Smart Cursor and dedicated pet and grapple slots. But putting the pets and grapples back in is a no-no?

I know I'm edgy, but I've been holding my breath for this obvious fix since 2011, so forgive me some frustration.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I love expert hardmode but i am forced out of it because i have to eqip and sort 50 items every single time i die.
If you are in hardcore, than you kinda have to drop everything. If it bothers you so much, why not make a softcore character? They don't drop items other than coins upon death.
Yes I can build the elaborate traps, and employ the various cheese strategies to die less and have the game play itself. Thats not the point.
I want to know what the relation between this and inventory systems, please.
For the love of everything holy can we at least get inventory management ammenities that have been industry standard for the last 15 years?
Last 15 years? That's a bit of an exaggeration. Especially when you include Minecraft having the same penalty of this by dropping your entire inventory on death in survival mode, and I see no one complaining too much about it.
Putting the helmet, sword and gun back where they were isn't that hard - I promise. I can write the code for you myself.
While I agree with putting armor back on being useful, how the heck do you put the gun and sword back? When you fight a lot of mobs, you usually get a bunch weapons. Would picking up the first weapon auto equip it? Where would it auto equip out of any of the hotbar slots? Would it constantly cycle through every weapon you pick up? That would be very annoying, in my opinion.
Only to find out you have to favorite your entire inventory every single time you die. Dos nobody who develops this even play games with inventories. Its so bizarre.
Again, softcore does exist, and you do not drop your items if you play a softcore character.

In my opinion, no support for this suggestion. There is a lot of things that can go wrong by attempting to add this, and there are existing alternatives that can solve the problem to a degree. But that's just one man's humble opinion.

Don't pretend you can't read. I have no problem whatsoever with dropping the items. Its picking them up that becomes a huge chore.

"Especially when you include Minecraft having the same penalty of this by dropping your entire inventory on death in survival mode, and I see no one complaining too much about it. "

Yeah, you see no one complaining and me not complaining as well. False equivocate with someone else please.

This is not a new issue under the sun.

If I remember correctly, even Planescape Torment had it right.

"How the heck do you put the gun and sword back?"

Well guess what, that prestine new body with an empty inventory has brilliantly spotless slots to put things on. Even if you ignore the free tools you spawn with. That can be auto discarded upon picking up their replacements, but thats a whole other story.

"Again, softcore does exist, and you do not drop your items if you play a softcore character. "

Again, try not to play dumber than you are - its just silly.

Its not too much to ask to have a usable weapon anywhere in the hotbar after you pick your stuff back, which is far from the case right now.

To be fair, mediumcore is a setting that has aged pretty badly. In a game where you progress mostly with items you carry. Then the impact hits hard when you died, and since you're starting from point zero again. It can be difficult to obtain your gear back before the game closes.

It could be more bearable with this option added. But it won't solve the main problem I have with mediumcore.

Mediumcore works the way it does by design. It is fairly equivalent to Minecraft's default death mechanics.

Softcore exists as an option, as does mediumcore and hardcore (permadeath). People were just pointing that out, no need to be so rude.

Every game is not required to have the same 'industry standard' mechanics. That would be incredibly repetitive and boring if that were so.

I can write the code for you myself.
There is a third-party modding system for Terraria. You can make this happen, if you wish, even if the developers are not interested.

I know I'm edgy, but I've been holding my breath for this obvious fix since 2011, so forgive me some frustration.
So you waited 8 years, to the announced end of development, to bring this up? If this bothers you so much, why stay silent for so long?

Don't pretend you can't read.
Again, try not to play dumber than you are - its just silly.
There is no call for you to respond to people this way. It is disrespectful and not acceptable.

If you can't accept constructive criticism and others pointing out alternatives, then don't post. You don't get to just shout down people who disagree with you.

Last edited:
Its picking them up that becomes a huge chore.
Well, that's the design of them dropping in the first place. You have to pick them up because your character dropped them when they died.
Well guess what, that prestine new body with an empty inventory has brilliantly spotless slots to put things on.
That was not what I was talking about. There is no dedicated slot for weapons. That was what I was referring to. Some people have weapons in the last few slots with building supplies at the end, sometimes they have weapons in the first few slots. How would you equip weapons into the hotbar that has no slot specifically for a certain weapon.
That can be auto discarded upon picking up their replacements, but thats a whole other story.
Again, that was not what I was talking about. What if your hotbar was filled with potions, or in fact, more than one weapon? Maybe you have a Chlorophyte Claymore for close range combat and a Terra Blade for long range fighting. Which would be auto discarded? What happens when you have your Terra Blade, then you pick up your Claymore, would all that progress for a Terra Blade be wasted like that because it is discarded? And what if you are a melee character, and you pick up a magic weapon, would it just simply replace the weapon you are carrying? Yes, it could just drop from your inventory, but that would still be very annoying, needing to pick it up again.
But putting the pets and grapples back in is a no-no?
I just noticed that you have added this into your original post. If you were to get a pet, would it override your current pet? Would it override the grapple you currently had?

The reason why I'm point these out, is because despite the fixes that this offers, to all the other players who don't play on mediumcore but instead on hardcore or softcore, who have no use for this due to one of them being perma-killed either way, and the other not dropping anything except coins, it would be ultimately useless to them and annoying to deal with.

It only helps a handful of people, a handful of people who don't seem to be a majority, no offense to those who exclusively or averagely play on mediumcore. And it would hinder and annoy players who don't play on mediumcore by having their items be dropped and replaced throughout their gameplay. That's why I don't support this.

I am sorry that I have irritated you, but please don't insult me.

To be fair, mediumcore is a setting that has aged pretty badly. In a game where you progress mostly with items you carry. Then the impact hits hard when you died, and since you're starting from point zero again. It can be difficult to obtain your gear back before the game closes.

It could be more bearable with this option added. But it won't solve the main problem I have with mediumcore.

Its pretty fun fighting the hordes naked or with ridiculous gear to get to a lava pit where your goodies are. At least they had the sense to not melt everything in lava. That is proper gameplay.

Putting armor back on and your sword in slot 4 - twenty times in 3 minutes is a bloody waste of time. It also adds zero value to the experience as the game can be completely paused when you arrange your inventory for the 500th time to its previous / usual - state.

Its about as interesting as filling your belt in diablo 2. Thats why every succesor to that game doesn't have it, and has impemented sensible management that isn't a chore instead of having the players pointlessly move potions from slot A to slot B. :) Thats why for instance terraria has a hotkey for this and doesn't care where your potions are so long as you have them.

@Tunnel King
Its also rude to use logical falacies on people and purposfully ignore the main point they are making or respond to claims they never made. But you didn't see me complaining.
Just because I can circumvent the issue by playing an easier mode, doesn't mean this is a sensible implementation of an inventory system.

- I guess its a surprise that regular players don't follow the company announcements :) How odd.

@Animus Viral
"Again, that was not what I was talking about."
Oh my god we feel the same now :) Isn't that ironic.<3

Last edited:
That is one high horse.
Seriously games even in the early nineties had the decency to put your armor back on when you picked your corpse up. I love expert Hardmode but I am forced out of it because i have to equip and sort 50 items every single time i pick my items back.

For the love of everything holy can we at least get inventory management amenities that have been industry standard for the last 15 years?

Thank you.

Don't pretend you can't read. I have no problem whatsoever with dropping the items. Its picking them up that becomes a huge chore.

Its also rude to use logical falacies on people and purposfully ignore the main point they are making or respond to claims they never made. But you didn't see me complaining.
Just because I can circumvent the issue by playing an easier mode, doesn't mean this is a sensible implementation of an inventory system.

- I guess its a surprise that regular players don't follow the company announcements :) How odd.

I understand the inventory woes─I've had them, like, twice─but I think you'll have better luck with suggesting if you don't talk to or about people like they're an asinine dunce, because they're not, and the devs are what determine what gets into the game, not you.
Little late for that now, though, Squanders-A-Lot.
Also,
I know I'm edgy
EscenceUhuh.png

Its pretty fun fighting the hordes naked or with ridiculous gear to get to a lava pit where your goodies are. At least they had the sense to not melt everything in lava. That is proper gameplay.

Putting armor back on and your sword in slot 4 - twenty times in 3 minutes is a bloody waste of time. It also adds zero value to the experience as the game can be completely paused when you arrange your inventory for the 500th time to its previous / usual - state.

Its about as interesting as filling your belt in diablo 2. Thats why every succesor to that game doesn't have it, and has impemented sensible management that isn't a chore instead of having the players pointlessly move potions from slot A to slot B. :) Thats why for instance terraria has a hotkey for this and doesn't care where your potions are so long as you have them.

@Tunnel King

@Animus Viral
"Again, that was not what I was talking about."

Like J. Bame said, it sounds like you really need to try softcore. I know that's not what this post is about, but its glaringly obvious you're not having fun lol. On a side note, this is exactly the reason I don't play medium core lol.

I have an idea to fix this issue for you, whilst not being intrusive onto how others play the game such as the other ideas.

What if there was an option to "save configuration" of your inventory, and load it later, putting everything (aside from things you don't have anymore since the config) back into its places!

Sidenote: materials that were not in your inventory would probably default to any blank spaces.

Would be cool if this could possibly make it into 1.4; I see it as a suitable thing that all platforms would appreciate.

Last edited:
Perhaps it could be bound to a key, too, and have multiple named configs.
(I am taking inspiration for this idea from NEI's load inventory state buttons.)
(Except the part where those ones spawn in items)

You are the first person I've ever heard of who plays mediumcore, it's the worst difficulty setting because of the style of game Terraria is. Your inventory is meant to be held and not just dropped, especially considering how entering the underground in hardmode or the post-plantera dungeon means that you most likely physically won't be able to get them back (everyone carries their best gear on them at all times). The reason Softcore is better is because it doesn't have this issue unless you forgot to deposit your money, and Hardcore is better because the entire point of the mode is that if you die, you don't get any second chances.

You are the first person I've ever heard of who plays mediumcore, it's the worst difficulty setting because of the style of game Terraria is. Your inventory is meant to be held and not just dropped, especially considering how entering the underground in hardmode or the post-plantera dungeon means that you most likely physically won't be able to get them back (everyone carries their best gear on them at all times). The reason Softcore is better is because it doesn't have this issue unless you forgot to deposit your money, and Hardcore is better because the entire point of the mode is that if you die, you don't get any second chances.

Hardcore is about complete safefty, it involved a minimal risk taking. Its an experience I've taken my needed 100s of hours from.
Softcore makes everything irrelevant with barely any punishment.

Medcore is great. It allows you to experiment and be agressive, and then challenges you even further when you've failed.
Early mid game, you can recover you just have to react to enemy movement properly.
Late game you have a stockpile of arsenal, you can have fun trying to go deep naked to get the body, or you if you really died in a terrible spot - use the multitude of much older gear you keep around, is otherwise useless once upgraded. The wall clipping enemies are part of the fun in hardmode. Even if you carry gear that cant kill them fast, keeping them at bay is pretty fun.

I've also discovered a number of enemies that don't run off to despawn when you die, but thats fun too. Taking my musket out of the chest took 3 deaths, finding the bullets another 3. and I was able to kill it in the next 3.

Hardcore is about complete safefty, it involved a minimal risk taking. Its an experience I've taken my needed 100s of hours from.
Softcore makes everything irrelevant with barely any punishment.

Medcore is great. It allows you to experiment and be agressive, and then challenges you even further when you've failed.
Early mid game, you can recover you just have to react to enemy movement properly.
Late game you have a stockpile of arsenal, you can have fun trying to go deep naked to get the body, or you if you really died in a terrible spot - use the multitude of much older gear you keep around, is otherwise useless once upgraded. The wall clipping enemies are part of the fun in hardmode. Even if you carry gear that cant kill them fast, keeping them at bay is pretty fun.

I've also discovered a number of enemies that don't run off to despawn when you die, but thats fun too. Taking my musket out of the chest took 3 deaths, finding the bullets another 3. and I was able to kill it in the next 3.
In my near 1200 hours of Terraria experience, I can easily say that mediumcore is the worst mode. It is simply not fun to spend hours perfecting 5 different accessories and multiple weapons for the perfect modifier and then get knocked into a pit of lava by a chaos elemental, meaning you now have to enter the hallow with nothing but a single minishark and your molten armor from earlier in the game. Terraria's fundamental design is just not meant for mediumcore (or hardcore, but at least you know what you're getting into by picking that), because an explosive trap one shots an endgame player and gives almost no warning whatsoever. It is not fun to have your armor from 3 moon lord kills and just as many celestial event completions just snapped out of existence from a nearly invisible pressure plate or being killed in an arena so high up in the sky that you basically can give up hope on getting them back because your infinite flight mount is now up there. Also, did I just hear you say it's fun to be spawncamped? You are the only person I have ever heard of who actually likes being spawncamped. Third, mediumcore basically ONLY benefits the hoarder playstyle and not the "sell everything you don't need, get best reforge, get all the ammo you would ever need" playstyle. The "Experiment and be aggressive" playstyle is actually something that Expert Mode does a million times better, and not just on softcore. Softcore is how the game was meant to be played, just look at literally every single non PC console before 1.3 (they did not have any options for mediumcore and hardcore, possibly still true, I just don't have enough knowledge of non-PC, ), this is also proven with the fact that in multiplayer, mediumcore and hardcore get special chat colors and NOT the default one that softcore gets. The only way I can justify mediumcore is if you play the extremely specific playstyle it benefits.

TL;DR Mediumcore only benefits a single type of playstyle, and Terraria is the type of game that you're supposed to be playing in multiple ways, not just one.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean to come about that way. I was actually trying to make a joke out of how it just got washed away. Perhaps I may make a thread about it. Or maybe not. Who knows.
Thanks for telling me. I didn't realise it came across that way.

• Haha
Reactions: Bry
Back
Top Bottom