Game Mechanics Can you add a cool anti-piracy measure to the game?

It just could be coded into some .xnb file or just into the Terraria.exe
[DOUBLEPOST=1436227581,1436227447][/DOUBLEPOST]Or devs can do something like Game Dev Tycoon, releasing a unplayable game on some torrent page for free.

I really don't agree with this topic cause once you start throwing Anti piracy coding into games it will just make things whole lot more troublesome...the harder you fight the harder the cracker/hackers fight..just let it go.

Mandatory expert mode.

Maybe you can't remove the copper shortsword (and other tools) from your bar?

Chest statues frequently appearing wired with traps.

Just a few ideas.

These don't sound like penalties these sound like we're celebrating national talk like a pirate day.
Things for pirated game: Viruses that make your computer so slow that it can't even run terraria. Viruses are wrong you say? So is pirating games.

Never thought I'd actually see this kind of thing as a suggestion.

Ikr... when i saw this i was like this is abserd!!

and very protentially dangerous cause in all honesty there is no real way to stop piracy and there never will be..People will always find a way to cheat the system and putting anti piracy coding will only give hackers a greater reason to dig deeper into the code and do even more then just cracking a game.

These don't sound like penalties these sound like we're celebrating national talk like a pirate day.
Things for pirated game: Viruses that make your computer so slow that it can't even run terraria. Viruses are wrong you say? So is pirating games.

Are you seriously suggesting Re-Logic deliberately infect people with malware as revenge for something you can't prove actually hurt them?

This would be laughably useless.

As other people have pointed out, it's impossible in the first place. Not without a specifically modified version. When Game Dev Tycoon did it, they uploaded a modified copy of the game to torrent sites. The main game did not have the anti-piracy thingy. So it's still pirateable.

Even if you do SOMEHOW break the laws of computing (and maybe even a few real laws) and manage to create a piece of code that detects if you paid for the game or not and is undeleteable, it would take just a few days for people to work around the counter-measure and come up with a crack.

Plus, such a system could be very faulty. It could hurt people who actually have the game for legit.
[DOUBLEPOST=1436228897,1436228700][/DOUBLEPOST]
That's a one-way ticket to Ruined Business Town, population: Re-Logic.

As other people have pointed out, it's impossible in the first place. Not without a specifically modified version. When Game Dev Tycoon did it, they uploaded a modified copy of the game to torrent sites. The main game did not have the anti-piracy thingy. So it's still pirateable.

Even if you do SOMEHOW break the laws of computing (and maybe even a few real laws) and manage to create a piece of code that detects if you paid for the game or not and is undeleteable, it would take just a few days for people to work around the counter-measure and come up with a crack.

Plus, such a system could be very faulty. It could hurt people who actually have the game for legit.

Actually if you can break the "laws of computing", as you say, in such a way that that would be possible, people couldn't come up with a crack. It's just that breaking the laws of computing in that way is impossible, so things will always be crackable.

Like i said earlier in the topic...Putting anti-piracy coding will make things complicated and give even more reason to hack the game..you think cracking it is bad..wait till you piss the Pirate community off and do even more damage by digging deeper into the code.

Actually if you can break the "laws of computing", as you say, in such a way that that would be possible, people couldn't come up with a crack. It's just that breaking the laws of computing in that way is impossible, so things will always be crackable.
Well if you could break computer physics, that assumes it's possible for everyone else skilled enough to do so as well, so pirates could still counter your breakage of computing. :p

Maybe the shirt of the character can only be black (can be covered and anything like that, so it's not ground breaking, I also played the game illegal) or white
Or something like that.

Have an item that says "don't put this in lava, its a hardmode only item, so you know they pirated the game at full and not just to try it out. And if you put it in lava you are not able to get out of hell.

I feel like going anti-piracy is the complete opposite way to go here. I feel like it's best to embrace piracy, as it helps build a relationship with the consumer, funnily enough. CD Projekt Red has already done this with The Witcher 3: Link 1

This article featuing Edmund Mcmillen helps my point[he made Super Meat Boy and The Binding of Isaac]: Link 2

As mentioned, a lot of people pirate the game to test out whether or not they actually enjoy it before buying. If it's a decent, quality product, they may buy it when they have a chance. It is best to not alienate part of the fanbase simply because they cannot afford the game or it isn't available in their region. I don't think a lot of people pirate games because they simply don't give a :red:[unless they're boycotting a company, then that's a different story]. There's a variety of different reasons as to why people do it, and I feel it's best to not punish them because of it. Contrary to popular belief, people don't actually pirate that often. If you give people INCENTIVE and SUPPORT to buy your game, then people with buy your game. Terraria has done more than enough to prove it's worth and warrant a purchase.

I am willing to admit that I originally pirated the game when it first came out[I was 15 then] because I did not have the money to afford it at the time. I loved the game and was sad I couldn't get the updates. What did I do? I bought it. I own it on PC, Mobile, and PS4. You can judge me all you want for it. If in the future admitting that hurts me in the long run[such as applying for mod], then so be it. I know for a fact that had I not pirated the game and tried it out, I wouldn't be here posting today and I probably wouldn't have bought it until who knows how long later. I don't think I did that much wrong for doing so. I don't think people pirating with legitimate reasons are bad. Is it wrong to deny entertainment towards someone who very much wants it? Would you ostracize a homeless orphan for stealing an apple for their siblings that have no other means of support? Granted, it's an a lot more drastic issue, but my point still stands.

The only real solution to piracy is DRM. Nobody likes DRM.

I feel like there's a huge negative aura that surrounds pirates and it saddens me because most all people talking bad about them are completely misinformed on the subject.

Last edited:
This seems like a lot of effort just to make people who pirated the game feel bad, and apparently it's impossible too. If we really wanted to try and prevent piracy, why not make an official free demo for the PC version?

Stealing some anti piracy measures from my good ol friend Earthbound.
Enemies spawn where they shouldnt be (Walking one day through the forest and medusa freezes you randomly. MUAHAHAHA!)
Enemies spawn way too MUCH, making the game unenjoyable.
Upon the moon lord taking 600 Damage, the game freezes, aw crud. Well, you reboot the game...
All worlds are gone.
All characters are gone.
All save data is gone.
MUA HA HA! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
[DOUBLEPOST=1436294660,1436294589][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, there are multiple checks for changes in the code incase someone hacked to advance, so then it re-activates all evils.

-As you progress through the game, the Corruption/Crimson spreads faster and faster. Eventually it will claim the entire world. Upon the world being 100% an invulnerable Moon Lord spawns and one shots you, with the death message <PlayerName> didn't pay tribute to the creators.

Back
Top Bottom