Can you create artificial marble and granite biomes?

Without sownthing like TEdit, no. Maybe and Granite Biomes rely on their backwalls, similarly to the Dungeon and UG Desert; That means that monsters can only spawn in front of the natural backwalls. Any walls you harvest, place, or craft don’t spawn monsters.

I read somewhere that people were placing blocks and getting monsters, but nothing confirmed...

When I built my implementation of the Ultimate Mob Autofarm (DicemanX) I got marble/granite mobs spawning. Unfortunately they spawned even when the surfaces were actuated, so I ended up removing those surfaces.

So marble/granite mobs do spawn if you have a few blocks of marble/granite. The spawn rules aren't the same as with other blocks though.

When I built my implementation of the Ultimate Mob Autofarm (DicemanX) I got marble/granite mobs spawning. Unfortunately they spawned even when the surfaces were actuated, so I ended up removing those surfaces.

So marble/granite mobs do spawn if you have a few blocks of marble/granite. The spawn rules aren't the same as with other blocks though.
I'll be building a staging area with a teleporter to each biome, so it should be OK, correct?

I'll be building a staging area with a teleporter to each biome, so it should be OK, correct?
It should be, as long each biome is large enough that there are suitable spawn surfaces for mobs.

BTW undergound desert will be a thing in a future update. THAT biome requires sandstone backwalls for desert mobs to spawn, so that biome can't be artificially created except by using a tool like TEdit.

BTW undergound desert will be a thing in a future update. THAT biome requires sandstone backwalls for desert mobs to spawn, so that biome can't be artificially created except by using a tool like TEdit.
Good to know, thanks. Does the whole biome have background walls then? Or are their patches without it?

According to the Wiki, Marble mobs will spawn if you're even standing on marble blocks in the Cavern layer. I can believe that Granite would be the same, and it's clear that you don't actually have to be standing on the blocks. (I could believe a distance-weighted system.) In contrast, Underground Desert, Spider Nests, and the Dungeon are all dependent on their "natural" walls -- breaking those irreversibly removes the biome from that spot.

I've built a spider nest farm and 3 dungeon farms ( 1 for each wall type) on my current worlds, but I didn't know about the underground desert. Good thing too; my usual means of excavation is to AFK the rocket launcher with rocket IV, whic would have knocked out the UD walls too.

It should be, as long each biome is large enough that there are suitable spawn surfaces for mobs.

Actually, over on the wiki, we accidentally discovered a possible way to create Underground Deserts... I haven't tested it yet (my current game isn't advanced enough), but it turns out that when a background wall gets converted by an infectious biome (including via the Clentaminator), it gets reset to "natural" status! That should allow creation of a synthetic Underground Desert biome.

Actually, over on the wiki, we accidentally discovered a possible way to create Underground Deserts... I haven't tested it yet (my current game isn't advanced enough), but it turns out that when a background wall gets converted by an infectious biome (including via the Clentaminator), it gets reset to "natural" status! That should allow creation of a synthetic Underground Desert biome.
How would you get a natural underground desert wall though? I might be stupid, I'll go check the wiki.

You absolutely can. The presence of nearby rough marble/granite blocks causes the monsters to spawn - they don't require the block surface or background walls to spawn. I was getting my first granite monsters with only 5-20 blocks placed, though increasing the number of blocks increases the frequency of the enemy relative to other spawns.

As for the underground desert, there's no way to place a player-placed sandstone wall variant, so no, one can't create an artificial underground desert.

Back
Top Bottom