Short Story Can you rate this descriptive writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantWontDo

Retinazer
I have a descriptive writing for school. I do not know if this is good, so can you guys rate it?

There is a feast on the table. It is the night before thanksgiving. The air is shivering with anticipation for the glorious day tomorrow. There is a table in the center of the room. It is old and weathered, with notches at the sides and marks on the wood. There are small carved messages, and all kinds of bumps and ridges. The table has been polished so it is shining, as if it is used everyday. But one of the legs seems very old and rotten. The leg is groaning with its effort to keep the food above it aloft. There are small patches of moss growing on the bottom of the table, hidden away from sight. It seems that the truth is that this table hasn’t been used in a long time.
It is laden with all sorts of delicacies. One of the dishes is mashed potatoes. They have a nice smooth and creamy texture, as fluffy as a cloud. Pieces of garlic and scraps of herbs peek out of the bowl. Another bowl that sits upon the table is full of gravy. Some people just use store - bought gravy, assuming that it doesn’t matter that much. But it is obvious that whoever made the gravy spent as much time on it as the rest of the dishes. There are small vegetables floating around, sure to provide a fresh flavor and a satisfying crunch. There is one savory dish that towers above all others, the monstrosity that is the turkey. The tray for the turkey takes much of the center of the table. There were pieces of stuffing and bacon scattered around, with gravy drizzled over everything. A bed of vegetables, formulated of roasted potatoes and carrots, parsnips, and charred brussel sprouts, takes up the rest of the tray, but where is the famous centerpiece of Thanksgiving, the turkey?
One side of the table is filled with food, the other is filled with food being cooked. The turkey is being slowly cooked overnight in the oven. Bruised fruits and vegetables were placed in along with it so that it could absorb their juices, so no produce was wasted. Other , unblemished fruits were set aside for dessert. The apples in the kitchen have been abandoned in a container with sugar and cinnamon, with lemon juice to prevent browning. They emanate a delicious aroma. A flurry of flour has set upon the table. A rolled up piece of pie crust sits in the middle of the flour. A long vine rests on the floor. A pumpkin has been hacked off of it to be chopped up and roasted with the turkey. The rest of the pumpkins are the lucky - or unlucky - few to be put in the pie. A sack of sugar has split open on the floor, and it is sure to besieged by the denizens of the night, mice and ants. The metal trashcan is sleek and shiny, filled to the brim with debris from the cooking, such as a ravaged package of sugar and many wilted vines. The feast is incomplete, but still looks radiant and delicious.

It's alright I guess, though I was confused there for a sec, when it first said the tray with the turkey, then went "but where is the turkey?"
It feels a bit... odd though somehow. Well, I suppose it's just difficult to describe things.

But pretty please, change the format, and break up the text a bit more. it's quite difficult to read it, when a text isn't broken up by a few enters here and there.

For the format, I had it broken up into paragraphs. I had them organized on my google doc. I copypasted and it ended up like this,
when it first said the tray with the turkey, then went "but where is the turkey?"
Yeah, I'm going to think of a better way to say this.

For the format, I had it broken up into paragraphs. I had them organized on my google doc. I copypasted and it ended up like this,

Yeah, I'm going to think of a better way to say this.
Ah, I see.
Copypasting from one place to other tends to mess up formatting, but I think you still should try to re-do the formatting in thr new place too. since this is not very pleasant to read when it's just a wall of fle... - cough - text.

and, yeah, I guess that could be changed a bit XD
but otherwise it's fine, I suppose. I'm just wondering it's a bit much. I know that I'm not good with describing things in depth though, even though I try writing short stories sometimes. I suppose that's what I get for reading mostly manga, and not much novels... XD
it's a school assigment that wants this, right? and I know there are writers that sure love to describe things, but readers' reactions might be quite often like "sure, that's cool, but I don't wanna read 2 pages about how the house looked like, I wanna know how the plot progressed!" XD lol

My teacher said to have no plot, and to focus on just the important parts. Thanks for helping me. Is it okay if I report the thread so the mods can lock it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom