Cannot connect to friends - Hangs on "Found Server" then "Lost connection"

SaggySally

Terrarian
Everytime I try to join a friend through steam the game hangs on "Found Server" and then after a bit it just says lost connection...

Every once in a while I get to "Retrieving World Data" and then straight to "Lost Connection"

So far i've tried:
  • Re-installing the game
  • Forwarding port 777
  • Disabling the firewall
  • Restarting steam
  • Restarting my computer
On version 1.3.5.3 Help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
I've seen issues where hosting through steam, and setting a password can create problems. Does your friend have a password on their server? If so, try removing the password and seeing if you can join then.

In the event that's not it lets collect some more info:

1. What operating system are you on?
2. Does the host have a firewall running?
3. Does this happen when connecting over direct IP as well? (When you go to test this remember that the host needs to forward their ports)

I've seen issues where hosting through steam, and setting a password can create problems. Does your friend have a password on their server? If so, try removing the password and seeing if you can join then.

In the event that's not it lets collect some more info:

1. What operating system are you on?
2. Does the host have a firewall running?
3. Does this happen when connecting over direct IP as well? (When you go to test this remember that the host needs to forward their ports)

1. Windows 10
    Version 10.0.17134 Build 17134

2. Yes, but other people can join.
  3. Direct IP doesn't work

If not setting a password didn't work then what about any of these:

1. Has the host tried a different port? Are you able to connect on some other port?

2. Have the host navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria and look for a file called "start-server-steam-friends.bat" Have them double click it and use that to host. Then check whether you can connect.

3. If you select host in play are you able to get in a game?

4. If one of your other friends hosts through steam, are you able to join them?

5. Are all your friends on the same version? If you and the host Verify the integrity of you game cache through steam are you able to join?

6. Are you or your friends running modded versions of Terraria or vanilla?

7. How many people are playing on the server?

8. Make sure you have .Net Framework 4.7 installed

If not setting a password didn't work then what about any of these:

1. Has the host tried a different port? Are you able to connect on some other port?

2. Have the host navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Terraria and look for a file called "start-server-steam-friends.bat" Have them double click it and use that to host. Then check whether you can connect.

3. If you select host in play are you able to get in a game?

4. If one of your other friends hosts through steam, are you able to join them?

5. Are all your friends on the same version? If you and the host Verify the integrity of you game cache through steam are you able to join?

6. Are you or your friends running modded versions of Terraria or vanilla?

7. How many people are playing on the server?

8. Make sure you have .Net Framework 4.7 installed

1. Different port gives same issue
  2. Starting the bat causes the issue as well
  3. If I host the game it works and others can join
  4. They are hosting through stream and it still doesn't work
  5. All on the same version
  6. No mods, straight vanilla
  7. 3
  8. I'm up to date on .Net

Let me add some clarification for number 4.

The goal is to see if you can connect to any other servers through steam, not just the main friend currently hosting the game. So if any other friend hosts, can you still not connect? We want to see if it's just that one particular person you can't connect to or if it's everyone you are unable to connect to.

Also, when your friend uses the .bat to host they will have access to the server log. When you try to connect does any message pop up in the black box on their end? Does it say something like connection refused and why it was refused?

I also have the same problem. I saw another user say that he opens up his console commands and once he touches his keyboard then it works but I haven't tried it.

I found the issue on one of my friends servers. If there is a person with the same name character as you, you will get the lost connection prompt. Hope this helps someone.

Back
Top Bottom