PC Can't connect to multiplayer

melzaru

Golem
Hi Terrarians, I have a friend with an issue: he can't play multiplayer. We've both tried a few things, but with no results.

So far, we know:
- He can't connect to ANY server.
- Singleplayers works.
- Terraria.exe has already been set as an exception in Window's Firewall.
- Reinstalling didn't fix it.

Any ideas are welcome.

Hello there!

Maybe you have another firewall blocking your Terraria connections? For instance, your antivirus' firewall may be active and preventing Terraria from creating connections.

If you have some more details regarding your internet connection and antivirus program let me know, maybe we can figure this out.

^What Caracol del Goce said. Maybe the port is blocked.

To unblock specific ports, follow these instructions:
Control Panel > System and Security > Firewall > Advanced settings > Inbound Rules > New Rule... > Port > TCP, Specific local ports: 7777 (or whichever port your server is using) > Allow the connection. > Make a name.

Hi,

Welcome to PC Support Section.

In order to further assist you, please verify the following information below before proceeding. Please, we remind you that Terraria has certain requirements in order to function properly on your system. If you fail to check these requirements you may encounter errors or issues.

In order to further assist you, please consider posting your System Specifications. You can obtain this information by Right-Clicking My Computer on your system. You will get basic information about your Processor and RAM. If you wish to get a full detailed list, you can use third party software to determine your specifications.

Available Third Party Software
System Requirements
  • Processor: 1.6 Ghz (Single Core)
  • Memory: 512 MB
  • Hard Disk Space: 200 MB
  • Video Card: 128 MB Video Memory, Shader Model 1.1 Support
  • DirectX®: 9.0c or Greater
Game Dependencies(MUST Install)
Troubleshooting Your Problem with TerrariaServer.exe
In order to figure out what your problem is with the game, we require that you run the Terraria Server Client (TerrariaServer.exe). This will display any errors or successes on launch. Should there be any errors from the program itself, use the command prompt and copy the error to display it here.
  1. Right click within the Command Prompt.
  2. In the drop-down menu, select Mark.
  3. Once you made a selection, Right Click or Press Enter to copy.
  4. Paste your results in your thread.
If you have trouble with the above instructions, your system might be showing "Not Responding" or your System may need to be rebooted to start clean.
Frequently Asked Questions

Q: My world has corrupted somehow and will not load properly, what can I do?
A: You may have corrupted the world by using modded clients, computer shutdown before the world could complete the save, or system failure within Terraria that caused the problem. You can try attempting to load your world using TEdit (Download).

Q: My game is not launching, or I get errors regarding XNA/.NET Framework!
A: You can attempt to make sure you have all Game Dependencies first, then try attempting this solution:

If you don't feel like sifting through all that, it's basically to do with the framework permissions.

This is how you change the right to use Framework/XNA:
  1. Right-Click the specific directory (Listed Below).
  2. Select Properties.
  3. Select the Security Tab
  4. Click on Advanced Option
  5. Select the Owner Tab
  6. Click on the bottom button to Edit.
  7. On this window select the Administrator in the row and make sure to select the Checkboxes below.
  8. Hit Apply and close all the windows.
  9. Try running the game again.
Do the above for all of the following FOLDERS:

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_32:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Xact\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\assembly\GAC_MSIL:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Avatar\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GamerServices\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Input.Touch\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Net\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Storage\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Video\v4.0_4.0.0.0__842cf8be1de50553

Can you try a dedicated server to confirm? I think its just port forwarding you have problems with. Try this address: t.jteeria.net

First of all, thanks a lot for the replies.
I think I should have given more details, because it led to wornd answers (my bad):
- I run a server and other players can connect to it, he's the only one unable to connect.
- His system can run Terraria perfectly (and so does mine).
- He can't connect to any server, no matter who hosts it, so I guess is something related to the Firewall.

First of all, thanks a lot for the replies.
I think I should have given more details, because it led to wornd answers (my bad):
- I run a server and other players can connect to it, he's the only one unable to connect.
- His system can run Terraria perfectly (and so does mine).
- He can't connect to any server, no matter who hosts it, so I guess is something related to the Firewall.

Joining a server shouldn't be difficult, however, it can be a program that prevents outgoing connections. Parents specifically can install various rules and features to prevent anyone from accessing websites, or even connecting to unwanted locations and addresses. Would need far more detail to determine the issue. Starting with any applications running in the background, those near the clock, etc.

As Marcus the overly-professional PC support helper said (yes, I want a Moderator/Administrator to change his title to something like that), it may be a rule set by your friend's parents. Have them try temporarily taking some rules from the router off, then see if he can connect. Scamcast routers on Medium security block protocols necessary for multiplayer. This would be confirmed if he can't connect to Steam's servers or ANY multiplayer server at all. This happened to me, which is why I couldn't play on the Dankarria server, connect to Steam, play multiplayer on Minecraft, or Maplestory for a long time.

As Marcus the overly-professional PC support helper said (yes, I want a Moderator/Administrator to change his title to something like that), it may be a rule set by your friend's parents. Have them try temporarily taking some rules from the router off, then see if he can connect. Scamcast routers on Medium security block protocols necessary for multiplayer. This would be confirmed if he can't connect to Steam's servers or ANY multiplayer server at all. This happened to me, which is why I couldn't play on the Dankarria server, connect to Steam, play multiplayer on Minecraft, or Maplestory for a long time.

That is all dependent on the whether the router's login information was already changed by his parents in the first place. If that is the case, there is no way he can get in without getting himself in a lot of trouble.

Last edited:
That is all dependent on the whether the router's login information was already changed by his parents in the first place. If that is the case, there is no way he can get in without getting himself in a lot of trouble.
1. You quoted your own post, so it was sort of confusing at first. Then I realized you must have been talking to me.

2. Which is why I said "ask THEM" to do it, not to do it himself.

3. The login's info BETTER have been changed, otherwise the username will be admin and the password is password. Prime target for hackers.

4. While you and your parents are doing that, mel, make sure the encryption is WPA2. That is the highest security encryption right now. It should keep novice hackers at bay, and make master hackers' jobs a bit harder.

Edit: So many grammatical fixes!

My friend doesn't even know how to do that, neither do his parents. Any other ideas?
A hacker attack could be possible, although rare (and stupid), there's nothing worth in his PC.

That is all dependent on the whether the router's login information was already changed by his parents in the first place.

My friend doesn't even know how to do that, neither do his parents. Any other ideas?

Considering that either your friend or his parents could not have changed the router settings or created rules, and default router security is not likely to block your connections to other servers (because if so, you'd have problems even when connecting to websites), I'd think we're facing ISP increased security or your friend's antivirus firewall.

Increased ISP security is less likely, because of several reasons, which leaves us to deal with the firewall.
Now, what kind of firewall rule makes a machine unable to connect to any Terraria game server? Certainly one that blocks your Terraria game, preventing it from connecting to the internet. Do you live close to your friend's, or can you skype with him?

This checklist I came up with could help your friend with his connection problems:

1. Open the Windows Firewall advanced settings (Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Advanced settings [blue text to the left of the window])
2. Go to the Outbound Rules section. You will notice the restriction rules will appear first, with a particular red icon.
3. Make sure Terraria.exe is not in the list.
4. If it were in the list, there's your problem. To fix it, just select every rule that prevents Terraria.exe from connecting to the internet and go to the right side of the settings window and either delete or disable the rule. Notice that if you delete the rule, it is possible that a new firewall window will pop up asking to allow/deny internet access for Terraria.exe again. I'd recommend just disabling the rule.

If after doing this your friend is still having problems, consider doing a similar process to his antivirus firewall. If you're not sure how to proceed, tell us what's his antivirus and we'll gladly help you fix the settings.

Cheers!

A hacker attack could be possible, although rare (and stupid), there's nothing worth in his PC.
Here's a rough walkthrough:
First of all, RTFM, or Read The Freaking Manual. It should have come with the router. It will provide the default WPA2 encryption key, as well as the default username and password. Having an unprotected password is VERY DANGEROUS!!!!
It makes you very susceptible to hacker attacks, no matter how unlikely! Hell, it's not a hack, the "hackers" can just walk right in; you've left the front door wide open!
Follow the manual's instructions on stting up a security password, and use WPA2 encryption. Make sure the encryption key is secure; don't use abc123 or something like that. check on https://howsecureismypassword.net/ and type in a password you would like to use, and it will tell you how secure it is by telling you how long it will take to crack. For instance, a password that is "MyWTFTrainGoesWTFWTFWTFChuggaChugga" would take 9 tredecillion years for a computer to crack. The world will end by then.
After setting that up, connect to the wireless router and input the encryption key in the prompt. You should now be protected from most attacks.

This checklist I came up with could help your friend with his connection problems:

1. Open the Windows Firewall advanced settings (Control Panel, Windows Firewall, Advanced settings [blue text to the left of the window])
2. Go to the Outbound Rules section. You will notice the restriction rules will appear first, with a particular red icon.
3. Make sure Terraria.exe is not in the list.
4. If it were in the list, there's your problem. To fix it, just select every rule that prevents Terraria.exe from connecting to the internet and go to the right side of the settings window and either delete or disable the rule. Notice that if you delete the rule, it is possible that a new firewall window will pop up asking to allow/deny internet access for Terraria.exe again. I'd recommend just disabling the rule.

That was one of the first things I tried, Terraria was already set as an exception for private and public networks.

Do you live close to your friend's, or can you skype with him?

Hell no, but I can share screen trough Skype.

First of all, RTFM, or Read The Freaking Manual

Trust me, there's no manual. Anyways, I know how to do that :D

MyWTFTrainGoesWTFWTFWTFChuggaChugga

Sir, you deserve a like for that.

That was one of the first things I tried, Terraria was already set as an exception for private and public networks.

And does your friend have an antivirus? Remember both firewalls may be active and have different rules.
Also, don't hesitate to make your fried call his ISP if the problem persists!

Cheers!

This sounds like the same problem i have. I try and join on a terraria server of a friend via hamachi and i just cant get a connection, even if is completely disable my firewall.

Back
Top Bottom