Can't connect to OWN SERVER (but some people CAN?)

DJFlare84

Mechanic
Okay so this is really odd.

I once had a Terraria Server not TOO long ago. I had one that I played on with friends after 1.2 came out and we had a blast.

I've recently tried to start up my server again but I'm encountering an odd issue.

I'm not using T-shock or anything. Just the standard Terraria Dedicated Server hosting program, which is WONDERFUL, by the way, because it allows automatic port-forward and worked in the past.

But that's the problem. It worked in the PAST. Absolutely nowhere, out of the blue, and for no god-bleepin' reason it will not work anymore.

I normally host the server on my laptop, and then play the game on my desktop (because the laptop is not used for much else). This worked in the past just fine but now I cannot connect to the server being hosted on the laptop. One of my friends cannot connect to it either.

I -CAN- connect to the server if I host it on the Desktop, but that same friend can't connect to the desktop server.

I re-tried hosting it on the laptop and asking a DIFFERENT friend to connect to it. He was able to connect just fine.

So how is it that Friend-1 AND myself are unable to connect to my laptop's server, but Friend-2 can get in just fine?

What kind of weird set of circumstances would make that happen?

If the laptop and the desktop are on the same network then you try to connect to the laptop's LAN IP.

As for why one person can connect and another cannot, no clue. Best guess is the first friend is doing something incorrectly.

Please remember that when using other machines on your network you must use the LANIP and not the LOCALHOST command to join. Most commonly, the ip starts with 192.168.x.x. You can figure this out by going into the command prompt and typing IPCONFIG.

Back
Top Bottom