Working as Designed Can't get desert quest fish in desert if It's hallowed.

Nakano15

Terrarian
Steam or GOG
Steam
Single Player/Multiplayer
Both
Operating System
Windows 7
Terraria Version
Controls Used
Keyboard/Mouse
I got a quest from the Angler to get a Scorpio Fish in the desert. I went to the desert on the east of the spawn to try getting It, which recently got hallowed. I throwed several lines and caught several things, includding fish and items from both the hallow and the desert fishing, and even a Divine Crate, but didn't got the Scorpio Fish. I then went to the desert to the west of the spawn, which was normal, I got the quest fish in very few attempts, like about 2 or 3 throws.

This isn't the only moment where the quest fish isn't acquireable because the place of fishing is corrupted/hallowed, though, but on hardmode that may prove to be an extra challenge since... almost every part of the world may end up corrupted/hallowed, making the fish hard to obtain, unless you create an artificial biome to get It.

This feels bugged, but I can assure you it isn't. It takes a lot longer due to the larger pool of items you can obtain from fishing in that area. This exact scenario happened during my first 1.4 run and I received the quest fish after 30 reels.

If you have the original biome, I'd recommend fishing there.

Yeah, but that really doesn't feels right. Desert is Desert.
True, but you have to remember it includes all items/fish from fishing in both hallowed and desert so the item/fish is much larger than if you were in one of those biomes by itself.

More items in a pool = less likely to get a specific one.

The Hallow is before the Desert on the fishing catch order, so you cannot get Desert quest fish in a Hallowed Desert since it is considered a Hallow.

It do seems that you can't catch some things in a hallowed oasis. the left side of my desert was caught by the crimson side of the V upon entering hardmode, so I used holy water to hallow the other side of the desert really quick to keep my desert town functioning. this meant that half of the oasis ended up as hallow. I didn't actually tried fishing on the crimson side, but as far as the hallow goes, I could catch hallow fish, and crates - divine crate too!, and flounder and rock lobster but not oysters or mirage crates. I dug a quaranteene around later, and purified the desert in that area, and then I could catch oysters too (and no hallow fish, of course).

So, I'm assuming some things just can't be found in a hallowed oasis.
I get that with a bigger item pool, things can be more rare, but out of I dunno, 50-100 reels - with sonar potion! - I never seen an oyster or mirage crate biting the hook. lol XD

Dunno if this is intentional, unusually awful RNG, or it's a bug...?

I think It's a bug, and now that you mentioned... Yeah, at least a oyster should have appeared when I were fishing in the hallowed desert. I spent most of the Terraria day fishing in the hallowed desert, were nearly getting to night when I decided to go to the other desert that wasn't yet converted, and finally got the fish by doing so.

Back
Top Bottom