Cartoons

TheQuietBisharp

Official Terrarian
Cartoons have been around since the childhoods of even the veterans here on the forums. They will always be a part of TV and media in general. They have had their share of controversy, as with racism in Looney Toons. Some have achieved worldwide domination, like SpongeBob (except the new ones suck).

To start the conversation, what's your favorite cartoon? Do you remeber it due to nostalgia or any other reason? For me, it's a battle between Chowder, Flapjack, and SpongeBob. They were all a huge part of when I was a kid, and I feel their episodes still hold up well today. Now cartoons seem to have the context of "Random is funny", which gets old quickly.

So, have at it!

Last edited:
I've loved cartoons all my life. I grew up with some of the classics from the 80s and 90s like Thundercats, transformers and of course the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, which will probably be my all time favourite. I absolutely adored it as a kid, and though a bit cheesey and goofy nowadays I still enjoy watching old episodes. It also started me off on my huge fandom for everything ninja turtles like the movies, comics, 2003 cartoon and the new nick cartoon which I currently watch and new IDW series which I currently read, so it holds a special place for me.

Of newer cartoons I have to rate The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra series as two of the best. Really fantastic series, and I've lost count how many times I've rewatched TLA in its entirety. I also enjoy Regular Show which fits into the "random is funny" category. Its a nice easy watch you don't have to take seriously with zany fun and great characters and usually always makes me laugh. Its really the only one of that type I've stayed with and continued watching. My favourite current running cartoon however has to be Gravity Falls, I love it and can't recommend it highly enough.

I'd rate Gravity Falls and Rick and Morty as two of the best cartoons of all time.

I'd rate Over The Garden Wall the best cartoon of all time.

Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Gumball, and Regular Show are all pretty good too.

Uncle Grandpa is okay? I honestly don't understand that show enough to have an opinion.

Star Vs The Forces of Evil is pretty good from what I've seen of it.

I think I'm going to add Steven Universe as one of my favorite cartoons now. It has a beautiful art direction, fleshed out characters, and a seemingly spiritual feel to the show.

To go with the "random is funny" concept, I'd go with The Regular Show and Adventure Time.
Gravity Falls is nice too, since sometimes the episodes can be really feckin' mysterious and cool. Sometimes even slightly spoopy.
I haven't seen Over The Garden Wall yet, but it's definitely on my must-watch list.

Really the only one I watch is SpongeBob. Best cartoon ever. I watched Uncle Grandpa once tho. All I can say is WTF DID I JUST WATCH. Seriously, it makes absolutely no sense.

Oh yea and Pokémon is pretty good too.

I watch Gravity Falls a lot, but it seems a bit less funny-goofy than it used to be with a new serious undertone. I got really into Steven Universe recently, and it's taking my spot for best tv show, over Slugterra, especially since that show was cancelled.:(
I also hate spongebob, adventure time, and anything stupid, even if it knows it is.

Anybody who enjoys cartoons and likes good writing and the sort, everybody needs to take time to look at Steven Universe. Like, right now. It is easily my favorite cartoon of all time, of any I have seen. The writing is excellent, the art style is beautiful, the jokes pretty much always get a laugh, the drama is tense, and the story is so great it's not even funny. And not to mention, the characters are so well written. All their reactions and interactions feel so realistic, especially their emotions.

I know it's just my opinion, but I am gonna go out on a limb by saying that I think it's the best cartoon on TV right now.

Here's how I'd rate every cartoon on Nickelodeon:
Spongebob & Fairly Odd Parents: shows that started off good but now are crap.
Sanjay & Craig: Because all kids love toilet humor. NOT
Breadwinners: OH DEAR GOD WHY?!

I have pretty neutral feeling towards other cartoons because I'm not a big fan of TV.

I grew up on Pinky and The Brain, Freakazoid, Spongebob, and that was about it. I didn't care about television much as a kid, I still don't.

Batman: The Animated series, and all the spin-offs that came after it (Superman: The Animated Series, Justice League). Every other Batman media that came out after it feels second-rate by comparison.

Overall, it has to be Code Lyoko. It wasn't the 2D combined with 3D animation that drew me to it. It was the overall atmosphere of real kids who try to maintain their daily lives while they are constantly threatened by the Artificial Intelligence X.A.N.A. Even though I was young when I watched this, I instantly understood what made Code Lyoko stand out from other cartoons.

Jeremie, Aelita, Ulrich, Odd, and Yumi are characters that feel realistic and you feel for them as they try to protect everyone, and handle their relationships with others. In other cartoons, the villains seem to normally be treated as jokes, or their plan isn't very threatening. It is completely different with X.A.N.A. it is dangerous and makes it clear it wants nothing less than to kill the main characters especially and anyone else in order to either destroy or take over the world (It wasn't really revealed which one it was). While very few people actually die from X.A.N.A.'s attacks in the show (because on Lyoko the main characters always make it just in time) the danger and suspense that is felt is extremely real. What also makes it interesting is that X.A.N.A. doesn't have any sort of physical form (because its a Computer Program) and it remains that way. Even though we never actually see X.A.N.A. its presence is felt throughout the show everywhere which makes it more terrifying.

Once I discovered this, it was one of the few cartoons I still watched. (As great classic shows like Spongebob, Hey Arnold!, or My Life as a Teenage Robot were either fading out, or losing quality) Naturally the newer cartoons looked ridiculous. They are likely the phenomenon referred to in the original post as "Random is Funny" and naturally Random isn't funny, and it isn't fun to watch shows that are just focused on trying to be as "funny" as possible without any story and where you can't take any of the characters or situation seriously. After Code Lyoko ended, that pretty much marked the point I stopped watching cartoons. (I was 13 or 14 when I stopped. Can't remember exactly when)

I like cartoons, but for some reason it seems impossible to find any good ones on TV anymore. I used to love Disney Channels cartoons, but for some reason they decided to move all of them to Disney XD and replace every single one of them with more boring sitcoms. There's a lot of good cartoons on Cartoon Network, but I never actually get to see them because the only thing that comes on is teen titans go (which has trained me to change the channel every time it comes on). I don't even want to know what nickelodeon is doing.

Ed,Edd N Eddy
That show had one of the best slapstick humor i have ever witnessed!

Batman: TAS (And the spin-off's like BatmanBeyond and TJL)

Batman the Animated series & All the Spinoff were excellent

Courage the Cowardly Dog-Show
Also had a excellent slapstick humor

Kids Next Door

007 + a Treehouse + Kids = Kids next door

Spider-Man: The Animated Series
and for last, but not least...X-Men: The Animated series

EDIT: i meant the old spiderman cartoon,not that CGI-Thingy

How could you go wrong with Spiderman and the X-Men? Those were the alternatives of Batman: TAS & CO. but with Marvel Characters

That was the Sh*t back in the day...ATLEAST for me...

Last edited:
Ed,Edd N Eddy
That show had one of the best slapstick humor i have ever witnessed!

Batman: TAS (And the spin-off's like BatmanBeyond and TJL)

Batman the Animated series & All the Spinoff were excellent

Courage the Cowardly Dog-Show
Also had a excellent slapstick humor

Kids Next Door

007 + a Treehouse + Kids = Kids next door

New Animated
Spiderman and for last, but not least...X-Men: The Animated series
How could you go wrong with Spiderman and the X-Men? Those were the alternatives of Batman: TAS & CO. but with Marvel Characters

That was the Sh*t back in the day...ATLEAST for me...

This pretty much sums it up for me as well actually. Except Spider-Man...

There was also that weird cartoon Mad Jack The Pirate on Fox Kids. Shame it only had one season.

How about a cartoon that never was? All that exists is the pilot episode. Amazing Screw-On Head is a steampunk/horror story by Mike Mignola, creator of "Hellboy." Rather violent, black humor. Not for children.

Screw-On Head, President Abraham Lincoln's apparently robotic chief agent against occult terror, is as dutifully humorless as classic Superman. Emperor Zombie rivals Q/Discord for arch chattiness. Monsters and allies alike are seriously creepy. And the graphical look is just what you'd expect from a Mignola-based production.

You can find it on YouTube. It's a howling shame it never made it to television.

Everyone hates the modern Spongebob, but, really, they're not all that bad.
Spongebob was a good cartoon I watched as a youngster.

Nickelodeon, a once good home of cartoons, has now gone to :red: with its sitcoms, that, "Breadwinners," and, "Sanjay and Craig," show, but I hope it can recover some time.

We Bare Bears and Regular Show are actually pretty good cartoons, and they fit into the Random=Funny catagory.
VERY RARELY, Random=Funny

Yeah, those are my thoughts on some cartoons.

Back
Top Bottom