Console Cats! Cats! Cats!

Do you support this?

• Yes!

• No.

• Not sure.

• Not really...

• OMG CATZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!!1!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!

Results are only viewable after voting.

FiendishCatz

Eye of Cthulhu
Cat lovers (like me) haven't got a chance to get cats in Terraria that you can love (the only cat things are the Unlucky Yarn and the Meowmere which, you know, the Meowmere is epic but the Unlucky Yarn... meh). So why not introduce...

Cats, Cats, Cats!
Cute cat animals that you can tame and look after!:passionate:
(Needs sprites though.)

First of all, let's talk about pets in Terraria.
They just fly around your head, invincible, and they don't really have the "pet" feel if you know what I mean.
You don't look after them, it doesn't have all the loving, taking care of elements...
Why not add those?

Cats
Cats will spawn rarely in the Forest and Jungle biomes, with many different fur colors. They have 50 health, no defence, and will run away when hurt by the player. Hitting them will also make them untameable, so... be careful! They share the same AI as the Unicorn, Wolf, Headless Horseman and Hellhound enemies whilst running away. Normally, it will walk around like a Critter.

Killing Cats is cruel. Period.;( (They don't drop anything.)

Taming
Unlike normal pets, which you summon, cats are tamed (similar to in Minecraft).

Cats can be fed and tamed by feeding them these items:

Any non-quest fish will have a 20% chance of taming them each time.
A Cat Treat will have a 50% chance of taming it.
An Enchanted Cat Treat will have a 90% chance of bringing tears of joy to the cat's eyes. :passionate:And taming it.

o_O So how do you obtain Cat Treats, you may ask?
They are sold by the Goblin Tinkerer for 65 Silver Coins each. What sheer joy.
You can obtain Enchanted Cat Treats by crafting together (does that make sense?) a normal Cat Treat and 5 Pixie Dust.

Cat Treats look like a yellow-white cat head. They have the
Rarity_color_2_big.png
rarity and have the tooltip "It's cat treat flavored!" (Sprite please?)

Enchanted Cat Treats share the look of Cat Treats except with an animated shine going from the top-left corner to the bottom-right corner of the item. They have the
Rarity_color_4_big.png
rarity and the tooltip "We are not worthy, o mighty cat treat" which, may I add, sounds really weird? (Sprite please?)

If cat taming is unsucessful, a message will read "The cat wants more!" If it is successful, it will read "The cat seems to love you now!"

Now that we've got that covered... what exactly do cats do when they are tamed? Dig? Fly? Eat radios? I hope not for that last one would result in a very sick cat...
When a Cat is tamed, it will share the Unicorn AI as it follows you around, not going through blocks, and taking damage from enemies and traps.
It still has 50 health when you tame it, but its max life can be increased by 5 by feeding it a Cat Treat, and by 25 by feeding it an Enchanted Cat Treat.
You can increase its max life up to 150 pre-hardmode, up to 200 hardmode, and 250 post-moonlord.
Feeding it a non-quest Fish will heal it (not increasing its max life) by 5 and increase it's Hunger by 10.

Yes, you heard me, HUNGER! When you mouse over a tamed Cat, it will show the life as well as its Hunger. If its hunger drops to zero, it will become very slow and lose 3 health every 1 second. Keep your cat fed! Also, if your cat enters water when under 75 max life, it will fall under and drown. Cats above 75 max life can swim.

Growth
When a cat is tamed, it will be a small, defenceless kitten. As you increase its maximum life with treats it will grow bigger, and once it reaches 100 max life, it will be able to fight by your side. It will run towards enemies and hurt them. The damage it does varies on its max life (its damage is its total max life takeaway 99.) and if it reaches under 10% of its max life it will give up fighting and run away until it recovers. They will regenerate 5 life every 4 seconds.

When a cat is under 100 max life, it will always run away from enemies, since its claws are not sharp enough and it doesn't have enough fighting skill.

As soon as you tame a cat, a message will be broadcasted, saying "[PlayerName] has tamed a cat!" and a naming menu will pop up. In this menu you can enter the cat's name and hit Accept to, well... accept it. This name will be shown above the cat's head at all times.
When your cat dies, it will broadcast a message with the cat's name and the method of death. It will also drop a special tombstone that resembles a cat face. The item is a "Cute Furry Tombstone" and the tooltip is "It kinda looks like a cat, right...?" (Sprite please?)

Your cat can be told to sit by right clicking on it. It will curl up in a ball and Zs will come out of its mouth. You will also hear a purring sound. It can be told to stand again by right clicking it.

Last but not least, sometimes a cat will make the sound a bouncing Meowmere projectile makes. It will also be played when it is hurt.

So that's all! Hope you support my idea!
If you really like it, you could probably add this to a mod! I would appreciate it!
And if you're a spriter, I would appreciate some sprites for this! <3
If you don't think these lovable cats you train and look after, feel free to say so, and feel free to suggest!:joy:

Last edited:
Now, overall it's a well written suggestion. But I have a few problems. Max life-99 means that unless they have 100 life (the previously stated Max) they will do precisely 0 damage. Even if they have 100, they'll only do 1.

Just, overall this suggestion doesn't seem to fit Terraria. I'd have been much happier with a new range of cute cat summonable pets.

Now, overall it's a well written suggestion. But I have a few problems. Max life-99 means that unless they have 100 life (the previously stated Max) they will do precisely 0 damage. Even if they have 100, they'll only do 1.

Just, overall this suggestion doesn't seem to fit Terraria. I'd have been much happier with a new range of cute cat summonable pets.
Well that's the thing... it only does damage when you reach 100. And you can still increase its life up to infinity. Actually maybe infinity may be a bit too OP but aaaaaaaaawhatever.

Well that's the thing... it only does damage when you reach 100. And you can still increase its life up to infinity. Actually maybe infinity may be a bit too OP but aaaaaaaaawhatever.
Oh right. That makes a little more sense. I thought that life was capped at 100. It would be good if you could cap it at 150 prehardmode and 200 hardmode. And maybe 250 after moonlord?

Oh right. That makes a little more sense. I thought that life was capped at 100. It would be good if you could cap it at 150 prehardmode and 200 hardmode. And maybe 250 after moonlord?
So that makes 150 the max max life? And 200's the max max max life? And 250 the max max max max life? Oh goodness...

Black_Cat.png
(Black cat. obtained from unlucky yarn)
You see this? We already have a cat ingame. It may not do damage but its fun to have around because... ITS A CAT. I dont think theres any reason why we should add this when we already have this for every platform, and not JUST console.

You don't look after them, it doesn't have all the loving, taking care of elements... Why not add those?
This kinda just sounds like work? I just like having pets that follow me around. I'd like a cat-themed pet though.
Cats can be fed and tamed by feeding them these items:
I'm honestly not sure how well this would work. Entities in this game aren't really meant to be interacted with (besides npcs with their simple "click and a GUI pops up" thing).

As for the cat's functions, I'm sort of interested although I don't think it'd play out well. I do like the idea of a pet that can fight for you and be upgraded. (although thats kind of how the summoner class works.)
Yes, you heard me, HUNGER! When you mouse over a tamed Cat, it will show the life as well as its Hunger. If its hunger drops to zero, it will become very slow and lose 3 health every 1 second. Keep your cat fed! Also, if your cat enters water when under 75 max life, it will fall under and drown. Cats above 75 max life can swim.
This is just obnoxious. I don't want to feed my cat and make sure it stays out of the water.

Anyways, this is a fun idea although you seem to have based cats and their abilities off of how they work in minecraft, which doesn't translate well to terraria.

Last edited:
This Idea is kind of a 50/50, it wouldn't really fit Terraria and the drowning and hunger thing *cough cough Minecraft* are a bit much, but on the other hand this is a really cool idea! But I reckon the Enchanted Cat Biscuit (or whatever it was called) should increase it's Attack damage or something.

I think it's a good idea, but it definitely needs some work. I really like the taming mechanic, and I think the sitting and sleeping thing is cool, but the combat/health part of the suggestion just seems way too complicated. The point of pets in this game is that they follow you around and don't do anything.

Back
Top Bottom