tModLoader Cave Story

jopojelly

Retinazer
tModLoader
Discord:
Anyone wishing to help this mod progress, please come by the chat.

Scope of this mod TBD, but for now, it is 4 upgradable weapons, 1 mount, and 1 wing brought over from Cave Story, a popular indie game.

Download or download directly in Mod Browser (tModLoader v0.8.1)

I am open to any coding help, the code is open to collaboration on GitHub. All the sprites are available there so have at it.

I'll just let pictures speak for themselves. Features and idea suggestions appreciated.

Curly Brace mount
Machinegun
Nemesis
Bubbline
Fireball
Booster v0.8

Last edited:
Cool mod. Some suggestions though:
* Why restrict shoot direction on some of the items?
* Cool that you fly by shooting Machinegun downwards, but should it not move you backwards when you should straigt ahead too?
* Maybe improve the graphics a bit so it fit more into Terraria (and not this game, if you don't want to make a total conversion that is).
* Are the stuff balanced?

Cool mod. Some suggestions though:
* Why restrict shoot direction on some of the items?
* Cool that you fly by shooting Machinegun downwards, but should it not move you backwards when you should straigt ahead too?
* Maybe improve the graphics a bit so it fit more into Terraria (and not this game, if you don't want to make a total conversion that is).
* Are the stuff balanced?
Basically, the answer to the first three was that I wanted to recreate the weapons as faithfully as possible. The aiming, machinegun mechanics, and graphics are all like that in Cave Story. To be honest, aiming is probably one I could go either way on, just depends where I want to go with the mod. The sprites I took from the original Cave Story, but it would be simple to use the newer ones from Cave Story+ if I wanted.

As for balance, I did all these to practice programming a bit, so balance has been an afterthought so far. I could definitely model the damages after the Cave Story damages, but I'd really like some ideas on balance issues. I would really like progression ideas and crafting ideas so that the weapons are neither overpowered or under powered when they are first obtainable.

might i suggest you take those sprites and resize them to pixilate them ? cut it by 50% then increase it back by 50% and it should fit more in terraria

well.. i suppose it also depends on what art program your using but yeah....

oh and add a dark outline if u can, doesn't need to be black but most things in teraria have it

Basically, the answer to the first three was that I wanted to recreate the weapons as faithfully as possible. The aiming, machinegun mechanics, and graphics are all like that in Cave Story. To be honest, aiming is probably one I could go either way on, just depends where I want to go with the mod. The sprites I took from the original Cave Story, but it would be simple to use the newer ones from Cave Story+ if I wanted.

As for balance, I did all these to practice programming a bit, so balance has been an afterthought so far. I could definitely model the damages after the Cave Story damages, but I'd really like some ideas on balance issues. I would really like progression ideas and crafting ideas so that the weapons are neither overpowered or under powered when they are first obtainable.

For the balance, when you do add spur, don't bother with balancing at tier 3 ;)

Hey all, I released v0.2 of CaveStory because tModLoader v0.5 is finally out, which means the masses can finally run it.

Download and try it out. Remember, just place the two files in the "...My Games\Terraria\ModLoader\Mods" folder. Make sure you update to tModLoader v0.5 first, then make sure the mod is enabled.

Terraria CaveStory v0.2

Oh yeah, for now, everything is crafted from Dirt Blocks. Obviously, this is just for the time being, but it allows instant access to everything the mod has to offer

I understand the reference, but after using the machine gun to fly I dropped back down for awhile then shot down before hitting the ground to keep my self from dying. When I did that I took over 1400 damage mid-air and died, so I was wondering if that was the result of the mechanic or a bug.

Last edited:
I understand the reference, but after using the machine gun to fly I dropped back down for awhile then shot down before hitting the ground to keep my self from dying. When I did that I took over 1400 damage mid-air and died, so I was wondering if that was the result of the mechanic or a bug.
Nope, not a feature. I've always had wings on, it seems, while testing so I never took fall damage. I'll have to work that out by the next update. Thank you for letting me know.

Beautiful i love cave story in fact it's my second favorite game next to terraria i hope to see this mod progress and become a huge success, Good Luck.

Hi there! New to modding, almost a year with terraria ^ ^
Ive a deep passion for cave story and was keeping an eye out for related stuff since I saw the Robot Hat. I went and downloaded the mod, everything seems to work fine, only, I've no idea how to actually craft the items. And, as I looked through everything, and the 0.2 at the end of the name, Im wondering; is that possible? Or if you're using a debugging kind of thing to test things out, how so?
Just seeing it in action has got me really excited and I'd be glad to know of updates :)

Also, I read that you use dirt blocks to craft it? I'm not getting anything on my end, not even when showing the blocks to the guide.

Last edited:
Hi there! New to modding, almost a year with terraria ^ ^
Ive a deep passion for cave story and was keeping an eye out for related stuff since I saw the Robot Hat. I went and downloaded the mod, everything seems to work fine, only, I've no idea how to actually craft the items. And, as I looked through everything, and the 0.2 at the end of the name, Im wondering; is that possible? Or if you're using a debugging kind of thing to test things out, how so?
Just seeing it in action has got me really excited and I'd be glad to know of updates :)

Also, I read that you use dirt blocks to craft it? I'm not getting anything on my end, not even when showing the blocks to the guide.

Try building the mod, that seemed to work for me. ;)

Hmm... Doesnt seem to work. Under Mod Sources I went to Build and Build+Reload, and then Reload under Mods. There's no errors and it looks like its actually booting it up. But I go to the guide with a stack of dirt in hand, and no recipe (aside from dirt wall and Mud block) show up. I even go through all the crafting stations and a few tables, no recipies. Maybe theres something I'm missing? Is there anything you'd like to see?

8C35A77A26ACBDB251AA160FD288EFB278F2685E

Hmm... Doesnt seem to work. Under Mod Sources I went to Build and Build+Reload, and then Reload under Mods. There's no errors and it looks like its actually booting it up. But I go to the guide with a stack of dirt in hand, and no recipe (aside from dirt wall and Mud block) show up. I even go through all the crafting stations and a few tables, no recipies. Maybe theres something I'm missing? Is there anything you'd like to see?
This is quite weird. Just to be certain: The home screen says "tModLoader v0.5" right below v1.3.0.8, right? Are you sure in the Mod page it says "Enabled" and doesn't say "reload required"? It looks like you copied in a world, I wonder if that has anything to do with it...Have you tried any other mods? The ExampleMod perhaps? Did they work?

I... have not tried the examplemod. The rest stays true though, and yeah, I copied the worlds and characters over. I'll give the Example a try and see how it goes.

The Example Mod worked just fine, after messing around and realizing I had to go inside the folder to get the actual mod out. Prior to that, I made a new world and character with the cave story mod and still no dice. In the same world I tried the example mod and it worked ok. Though... Maybe its something in the folders? I took a screenshot, https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5B0jBtxDr0WVUhYcFRCTUE2bVk Just to be sure. Cave Story was plopped into the Mod Source, builded, and loaded.

Back
Top Bottom