**REPORTED** Celestial Pillar bug

Discussion in 'PC Bug Reports' started by Oleg34518, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Oleg34518

Oleg34518 Official Terrarian

when playing in an expert world, a celestial pillar spawned in the ground, there wasn't any cave there: 105600_2015-08-11_00002.png this glitch is unfair, I wasn't able to dig to it from the surface.
    please make them spawn on the highest block.

2. Oleg34518

ok, this seems to happen with other pillars as well: 105600_2015-08-11_00003.png

3. Tulula

Tulula Skeletron

Not ran in to this personally myself but is very strange. Is the map itself a 1.3.XX generated or an older world? Just curious, if it is 1.3.XX then im lost for words. I can only assume there is a maximum height they can spawn at and your surface is just too high... Really annoying though I imagine.

4. TiberiusTheWise

TiberiusTheWise Official Terrarian

This is intended. At least sort of. The pillars slowly sink into the ground over time. So if you wait forever to kill them, you're more or less screwed until they hit the bottom of the world. I think this may have been a self-destruct mechanism so if you spawn the pillars before you're ready, you don't get stuck with them forever.

Tulula likes this.
  5. Tulula

Tulula Skeletron

This kinda makes some sense, also a solution to an accidental event trigger. Having said that though if this is the case there should be a visual trigger to let you know this is happening. A message "You are unworthy" maybe :/

6. TiberiusTheWise

I believe they start sinking as soon as the even starts. I think it's just really, really slow

7. Oleg34518

Oh thanks for letting me know, a message "You are unworthy..." would have helped me.
    I'll see if the Pillars sink forever.

8. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pumpking

Hogwash. The devs would never allow the pillars to slowly sink until they're removed from the map. Or force players to dig the pillars out in order to hit them. It'd frustrate the hell out of players.
    I destroyed them at least a hundred times and have never ever see them sink. This is a bug for sure.

9. Oleg34518

I could only counter this bug with Lunar flare, witch I didn't have at that time.
    (tried Solar Eruption, too slow, I got killed many times)

10. GC_dzbanek

GC_dzbanek Steampunker

You didn't watch it carefully. It's very slow, but it happens indeed. Just make a test:
    As soon as pillars spawn, grab some unusual blocks (like obsidian or sth), and go to nearest/easiest pillar. Build one block thick wall up until You reach pillar, then expand it for two blocks in every side. If You did it, don't complete the event - just play on this world, but don't destroy pillar which is subject of experiment. First visible sinking changes should occur after 1-2 hours.

11. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pumpking

I believe that it happens, the OP provided proof of that. What I don't believe is that it was intended. This is a bug that needs fixing.

GC_dzbanek likes this.
  12. TiberiusTheWise

Then what if a player kills Lunatic Cultist on a fluke and is severely underequipped for Celestial events? They'd be SOL if the pillars didn't have some sort of self-destruct.

13. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pumpking

You don't accidentally kill the cultist. If you can take him on then you can take the pillars on. You may die plenty of times, doesn't matter. As long as you don't close the map you'll eventually get them.
    If the devs thought the pillars needed a self destruct they'd self destruct, not slowly fall through the map for a hundred ingame days, completely ruining a player's game time due to these celestial enemies being a complete pain in the arse all this time.
    I can't fathom why anyone would think this is intended behaviour.

I also have doubt the pillars would even disappear when they reach the bottom. They might just stay there forever, not allowed by the game to leave the screen.

Oleg34518 likes this.
  14. TiberiusTheWise

The wiki discusses the behavior as if it were intended. And I may have read somewhere else on the forums that it's intended.

15. Leinfors

Leinfors Quality Assurance Staff Member Moderator Re-Logic

Please stop arguing about whether this is intended or not; I've seen no word from the devs that it is or not, and would like to see an official source stating otherwise. In the mean time, I'm looking into this myself.

Oleg34518 and Gotcha! like this.
  16. Leinfors

Leinfors Quality Assurance Staff Member Moderator Re-Logic

Are the individuals encountering this bug finding it in single player, multiplayer, or both?

I've been informed that this is not an intentional behavior, so this is going to Bug report territory for sure.

Oleg34518 likes this.
  17. Oleg34518

Wait, did someone report this already?

18. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pumpking

I think he meant the individuals inside this thread, but there's only you. :)
    Although I have seen someone else making a post with this bug a while back, not necessarily in the bugs section though.

Anyway, you'd better fill Leinfors in with your information then. :)

19. Oleg34518

Guys you should see this: Celestial Tower scroll down until you see "Pillar Spawning Mechanics"
    or wait... yes I've seen the Towers floating above the ground.

20. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pumpking

You're aiming at this no doubt:
    1. If all steps have been run 15 times and failed, give up and just spawn at a settled point: (x0, y0 - 40), in which case the Pillar will always spawn at -80' Underground at a fixed x coordinate.
    I guess someone has been digging inside the game's files in order to find that out. Interesting.