Items Celestial Scales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flor3nce2456

Queen Bee
So, a long time ago, I played a game called "Tales of Symphonia".

Anyhow, like any good RPG, there were mimics in the game and if you defeated them (more complicated than it sounds), they dropped one of the most useful items in the game. Note that I say useful, not powerful. I felt like it was very balanced, and think something like that would work well in terraria.

The item in question is, of course, the All Divide.

I will, however, be balancing terraria's version of it in a different way.

Lets get started.

Cursed_Scales.png

Cursed Scales
Dropped by Shadow Mimics, 0.75%
Material
Tooltip: "Skewed toward the evil"

Attempting to use this item in the beginning will not do anything.
You make it useful, you must bring it to your world's evil land and gather the evil material there.
Then go to Hallow and gather some stuff there.

You will use all this stuff to "Un-Curse" the scales.

Holy_Scales.png

Holy Scales
Material
Can be placed (3x3, cannot be placed on blocks or platforms. Tables only)
Must be activated with a right click
Will give off light and abundant sparkles when this is done.
5s Cooldown​
Tooltip: "Fair and Balanced"
Crafting:
Cursed_Scales.png
1 cursed scales
Cursed_Flame.png
/
Ichor.png
20 Cursed flames OR 20 Ichor
Dark_Shard.png
4 Dark Shards
Pixie_Dust.png
20 Pixie dust
Light_Shard.png
4 Light Shards
@ a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
When placed and activated, it will act like a campfire or heart lantern and perform it's effect in the local area. You can turn it on and off at will, but if you want its effect everywhere, you're going to need a LOT of scales.

Or DO you!?

Enter the Celestial Scales.

Celestial_Scales.png

Celestial Scales
Can be Used
Consumable
Will disappear when used.​
Tooltip: "Fiat justitia ruat caelum"
Crafting:
Holy_Scales.png
1 Holy Scales
Hallowed_Bar.png
20 Hallowed Bars
Meteorite_Bar.png
40 Meteorite Bars
Diamond.png
5 Diamonds
Fallen_Star.png
25 Fallen Stars
Ectoplasm.png
15 Ectoplasm
Soul_of_Light.png
35 Souls of Light
Soul_of_Night.png
35 Souls of Night
Soul_of_Might.png
40 Souls of Might
Soul_of_Sight.png
40 Souls of Sight
Soul_of_Fright.png
40 Souls of Fright
Blindfold.png
1 Blindfold
@ a Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil

Using the Celestial Scales consumes the item, and then ticks a flag in the world-save acknowledging its use.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the All Divide, what it does is simple: All damage is halved.
For us, that means:

All OUTGOING damage, AFTER buffs/armor/accessories/bonuses/etc. is HALVED.
All INCOMING damage, BEFORE buffs/armor/accessories/bonuses/etc. is HALVED.
HEALING IS UNAFFECTED

That's it. With the Holy scales, this effect is applied only in its local area and can be toggled at will with a 5s cool-down between toggles.
The Celestial scales' effect is applied to THE ENTIRE WORLD. When you use the Celestial scales, all Holy scales cease functioning and cannot be turned on at all.

Now, you might be wondering: "But what if I want to get rid of the effect?"
Simple.
You know how I said the Cursed scales can't really be used when you first get them?
That's because you use them to cancel out the Celestial scales.

No Refunds. :dryadtongue:

I initially considered making this an accessory, but the sprite got too big.

Last edited:
uh... no thank you, I'm not going to bend over backwards just to make all my battles last twice as long.

EDIT: Maybe it would work better if it was an accessory that only affected one person and didn't cost an arm and a leg to make. As it is now though, its pretty much useless.

Last edited:
uh... no thank you, I'm not going to bend over backwards just to make all my battles last twice as long.
Summed it up pretty much perfectly for me mate.

I second this opinion. Why half the damage YOU do to enemies? That defeats the entire purpose. And 99 meteorite bars is 297 meteorite. Thats a hell of alot of meteorite for something that hinders you. Also why the blindfold? That'll just suck considering I've only gotten 2 blindfolds ever.

All divide in Tales series are used for careful battles, so you can take things slow. A lot of strategies are involved, especially if your allies' A.I's are pitching a fit. Fine-tuning in a battle is normal for Tales.

Unfortunately, Terraria gameplay strategies are rather simplified, and you don't want a drawn-out battle. I'm sorry, but this is not one of your better suggestions.

Bloody hell that is a hard crafting recipe, and its effects are really bad, its just going to make fighting anything last twice as long.

Hmmmm.... people aren't taking this very well...
probably a bad time to post this.
Celestial Scale Lozenge.png

Will go nerf stuff momentarily.

EDIT: NERFED MATERIAL REQUIREMENT

Last edited:
Considering a lot of larger battles in Terraria are time-sensitive (IE, you have until morning, no exceptions), doing less damage in exchange for taking less damage seems counter-intuitive. Say goodbye to getting to higher waves in Pumpkin and Frost Moons. No amount of recipe-nerfing is really gonna change the fact that this doesn't appear to convey any real benefit. Yes it's 'balanced' but at the same time it's balanced in favor of inconvenience and tedium. Sorry, but I really don't see the point aside from being a reference. :\

You have the basis of a great idea here mate. How about this: Instead of lessening the damage you do, make it so enemies have a higher drop rate of items? Just trying to spitball ideas for you.

I already reported the thread to be locked so any new ideas will be a new thread with different looking item :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom