tModLoader Chad's Furniture-and-More-Mod

The thing is that this mod... is technically open-source. You can unpack it using tModLoader's extract feature.
While it is probably best to get the owner's consent before making fan-made updates, judging by his away time, I suspect he probably won't be able to answer anyone who offers.
If you want to take it, take it! If he vanished he won't be here to claim that the mod is his.

If you want to take it, take it! If he vanished he won't be here to claim that the mod is his.
Hey man, I ain't got no coding knowhow. I was just putting it out there that anyone could take a deep dive into the mod's source and update it themselves if they feel desperate enough.

Hey man, I ain't got no coding knowhow. I was just putting it out there that anyone could take a deep dive into the mod's source and update it themselves if they feel desperate enough.
Ooh, ok. I don't know how to code also, but I really want that to be updated. Other people already said that it's there to be taken by anyone who wants to be the new owner.

Ooh, ok. I don't know how to code also, but I really want that to be updated. Other people already said that it's there to be taken by anyone who wants to be the new owner.
That's definitely not how this works though. The stuff he made is still his intellectual property and as long as he has not labelled it as open source specifically himself, it cannot just be taken and used by anyone, don't do that. I know people like the mod and wanna see it ported to 1.4, but that doesn't give people permission to just use his work without permission.

That's definitely not how this works though. The stuff he made is still his intellectual property and as long as he has not labelled it as open source specifically himself, it cannot just be taken and used by anyone, don't do that. I know people like the mod and wanna see it ported to 1.4, but that doesn't give people permission to just use his work without permission.
Yes, it does. Just because it hasn't been updated since 2018. If the owner isn't here to update it, he will probably not be here to say "It's mine". Let's hope someone takes it.

Yes, it does. Just because it hasn't been updated since 2018. If the owner isn't here to update it, he will probably not be here to say "It's mine". Let's hope someone takes it.
It doesn't matter that someone tells that it's here to be taken. It's the creators intelectual property, no one has right to just take it. It doesn't matter if he is inactive for a long time.
Only he can decide that.

It doesn't matter that someone tells that it's here to be taken. It's the creators intelectual property, no one has right to just take it. It doesn't matter if he is inactive for a long time.
Only he can decide that.
But @IDGCaptainRussia said
"2 years, yeah

This is one of the reasons you make your mod open source and permissible, ESPECIALLY if it starts to get popular, that way in case you vanish, someone who wishes for it to continue can pick up the pieces."

So, it isn't really needed to have Chad's consent. It will be better for the community, and that's what every modder wants: people to feel happy. If he wanted to have any authorship of his mod, he would be asking us to pay for his ideas or inventions. Remember that mods aren't an obligation of anyone and they exist with the only purpose of entertaining people for free. Furthermore, there's not any rule saying that we must ask him to take his mod, and, also, if we do it, he will probably never answer, otherwise he would be doing his business here with the mod and all this conversation would not exist.

"2 years, yeah

This is one of the reasons you make your mod open source and permissible, ESPECIALLY if it starts to get popular, that way in case you vanish, someone who wishes for it to continue can pick up the pieces."

So, it isn't really needed to have Chad's consent. It will be better for the community, and that's what every modder wants: people to feel happy. If he wanted to have any authorship of his mod, he would be asking us to pay for his ideas or inventions. Remember that mods aren't an obligation of anyone and they exist with the only purpose of entertaining people for free. Furthermore, there's not any rule saying that we must ask him to take his mod, and, also, if we do it, he will probably never answer, otherwise he would be doing his business here with the mod and all this conversation would not exist.
It doesn't matter what he said. He can say that about his own mods. Any modder can make whatever decisions about their own mods, but not others.
It doesn't matter if it was abandoned, if it was free etc. It's still intelectual property. Intelectual property without owners consent should not be "taken over" in any case. No matter if it's free or not, or owner is inactive or not. It's his work, and his work only. He is the owner. And unless he tells specifically "go ahead, do whatever you want", no one can touch it.

And look again at the quote of IDGCaptainRussia. He did not say that anyone can take others work if they are inactive. Only a suggestion that creators should make their mods open source.

What Sapharan said. It's irrelevant if Chad has been inactive for 2 days or 10 years, the mod and everything in it is his intellectual property and as long as he does not explicitly allow someone else to use it, it remains fully under his control what happens to it. Everything else is absolutely irrelevant, so please do not encourage people to make unauthorized use of his work.

"2 years, yeah

way to take what I said out of context.

Yes, you "technically can" take the mod and update it yourself, but you CANNOT publicly post it anywhere without chad's concent.
If you do that, your asking to have it taken down by the authority where you posted it as what you did was plagiarism, intent or not.

If you choose to update it yourself, keep that to yourself or publish it within an inner circle of friends.
I continue to share around an unofficial, illegal patched version of Tremor (I didn't make this btw) this way because Batby can bite my :red: on keeping Tremor unplayable, but I won't publicly post it on these forums for the reasons listed above.

If you REALLY want to continue his line of work, do what Pbones did: where he effectively made his OWN version of LuiAFK because that mod is in the same boat as Chad's.

Last edited:
Hmm, I think everybody here thinks I'm a modder or something. Let's clarif it a bit: I'm NOT a modder, and I do NOT know how to code. I just want someone to continue this because it is the ONLY mod I know that adds these cool things to the game. If someone thinks that my speech changed anything about his rights of owning the mod or something or that I am going to do something, YOU ARE WRONG. But, again, I just want to see this mod updated.

I want this Mod but It isn't on the new tmod loader, does anyone have a link or guide to manually install mods?

@360Chadscope aka the magnificent Chad. Would you be interested in porting the mod over to 1.4? I love your creations and I miss being able to use them. It feels as if your hard work has been left in the dust. However, I am currently working with a fantastic team that may be able to support in bringing this legendary mod back to life with plenty more original additions. What do you say?

Last edited:
@360Chadscope aka the magnificent Chad. Would you be interested in porting the mod over to 1.4? I love your creations and I miss being able to use them. It feels as if your hard work has been left in the dust. However, I am currently working with a fantastic team that may be able to support in bringing this legendary mod back to life with plenty more original additions. What do you say?
Chad's been gone for years, you could do what @miningcrack did with Luiafk and port it without his permission, as the TML devs don't seem to care.

To be honest, I think this should be brought to Tmodloader 1.4
Many of us have been waiting for this to return as it's the best furniture mod out there
Since Chad isn't here anymore, I'm 100% sure he wouldn't mind that somebody got his mod and updated it so many others could still use it as he intended to

To be honest, I think this should be brought to Tmodloader 1.4
Many of us have been waiting for this to return as it's the best furniture mod out there
Since Chad isn't here anymore, I'm 100% sure he wouldn't mind that somebody got his mod and updated it so many others could still use it as he intended to
Oooh, I know just the modder who could do this... @Sora_92 ?
I would love to do that! (although I would need a coder to help too)
But, we can't do anything with mods without the owner's permission.
...I wonder, seriously, what about all these awesome old mods where the owner seeminly left the forums and the developing of the mod? How can we even contact them to ask for permission?
Are we just going to let them be forgotten...? I wonder what mods think about it...?

I would love to do that! (although I would need a coder to help too)
But, we can't do anything with mods without the owner's permission.
...I wonder, seriously, what about all these awesome old mods where the owner seeminly left the forums and the developing of the mod? How can we even contact them to ask for permission?
Are we just going to let them be forgotten...? I wonder what mods think about it...?
Again, you either do it without the author's permission (1.4 Luiafk), or this mod isn't ported and remains on 1.3 only, period.

This is unfortunately the problem of authors not leaving permissible source code for others to pick up incase of their leave, but others picking up their work regardless of permission (but still giving full credit where due) is pretty common in other modding communities; this is pretty common in games that update very often. See the Rimworld and Stellaris workshops for example, there's alot of carrying of the touch in those.

I'd argue that Chad's Furniture is on-par with luiafk when it comes to abandoned mods people want updated, even thou there are many really old, but game changing Terraria mods that most have forgotten now because they never updated (see Dark Assassin's mods, which used to be popular back in the day but have been broken and abandoned since 2019)

I would suppose that at some point we'd have to wonder whether or not the author would have specifically barred anyone from using or recreating their intellectual property without permission or not.

Sometimes it's just an afterthought that they would've never left specific instructions for or against it. Sometimes people just want to contribute something to the community, and all of their efforts go into the creation of the mod, rather than even thinking to touch upon the legalities and whatnot.

So, for all we know, Sir Chad is all for the releasing of his items for the benefit of the public. I didn't see anything specifically demanding his stuff be credited if used, so maybe he's fine with it?

tl;dr - Which direction are we more inclined to lean in: He wants it locked down, or he wants it released or recreated publicly.

Back
Top Bottom