tModLoader Chad's Furniture-and-More-Mod

Seeing how long he has been absent now and just going by my general feeling, I don't think he'd be upset if someone ports it and properly credits him and leaves it at that but just out of principle I'd personally feel hesitant to touch his creation in this way. It seems like he doesn't really care about it anymore but still, would feel weird to just go ahead with this without him knowing.

@IDGCaptainRussia @ShadowTiger
I wonder too...
Chad'sFurni is one of my favorite mods, and I certainly would like to see it ported. although it's not the only old mod mod I would like to see ported, where it seems the initial creator does not cares about it anymore.

Can you code? Can you help with porting it? If you can, or you know someone who knows and is interested, we can give it a try.
thinking more, worst case scenario, the mod would just get deleted from the mod browser, but it still could exist as an "unofficial" ported version which can be used.
hopefully it would not come with more severe punishment than that, such as having all your uploaded mods deleted, or forum ban or anything like that.

or we can try to ask around more first, such as asking mods and devs for their opinion on the topic. shall we try pinging some?

I would suppose that at some point we'd have to wonder whether or not the author would have specifically barred anyone from using or recreating their intellectual property without permission or not.

Sometimes it's just an afterthought that they would've never left specific instructions for or against it. Sometimes people just want to contribute something to the community, and all of their efforts go into the creation of the mod, rather than even thinking to touch upon the legalities and whatnot.

So, for all we know, Sir Chad is all for the releasing of his items for the benefit of the public. I didn't see anything specifically demanding his stuff be credited if used, so maybe he's fine with it?

tl;dr - Which direction are we more inclined to lean in: He wants it locked down, or he wants it released or recreated publicly.
Yeah that's the key question here. Atleast in Dark Assassin's case he specifically says on his about page to not decompile, recompile, or otherwise alter his mods without his permission.

Neither Chad nor LuiAFK expected their mods to live past their own time and thus made no contingency plans. But they have, and now it's up to us what we should do with them.
EDIT: @Sora_92 I think your a worthy successor to take over this mod imo, your Wacky NPCs made is great and shows your just as able as Chad was. Atleast, from a sprite side.
Edit #2: >>Terrarian<< yeah I think he'd want his work to live on too.

I'm likely being a massive hypocrite given how much I bashed 1.4 LuiAFK... But I guess I was just salty over that mod, not it being ported.
Edit #3: @Sora_92 If SGAmod is anything to go by, I can code on-par with some people in Starlight River's team, however my experience with 1.4 is limited at best, and tiles are already my weak point.

I assume Chad's won't require too much coding knowledge to port and manage, but it's outside my comfort zone...
Actually, ask @Rijam about it, guy's the best runner up I had and he has plenty of experience in this kind of thing, he can back you up spritewise too.

And as for the mod getting removed, I'd say your probably safe, they never removed Mining Crack's 1.4 port of LuiAFK, after all.

Last edited:
@IDGCaptainRussia
thank you for your compliments~
that being said, I think what we need here first is not spriting skills, but coding skills to port it.
I can try to tinker with it, but without an actual coder, I probably can't port it.

so, let's try to make a team, of people who are interested in porting this - and maybe some other cool older mods - and let's see what we can do.
if we keep these mods as-is (besides the porting itself) though, again, I think it's people coding skill we need the most. since it's not like there's any sprites to make for these, because they already have plenty. and expanding upon it would be complicated without, again, the initial creator's permission.

Haven't checked on tMod in a hot minute so excuse my ignorance. Is the creator of Chad's dead? What's the reasoning behind him not porting and or updating it to 1.4?

Okay, it's been a while we talked about the porting of it, but, a little update...
So, very soon after our conversation back in november, @MidnightAnimal09 offered to help with coding.
He got the mod's files, and run them through T-modporter, which left in about 2 500 errors, which we had no idea what to do with back then.

So, for a while, we were just looking at it, and tried to fix a few stuff, but without much success, and I suppose he's been busy too, so there was no real progress besides T-modporter.
then tried to get help, but the person offering help turned out to be quite busy too. well, anyway, as for one, we're still looking for help.

But, at that point, I decided, if I actually want it ported, the best approach is that I try to port it, instead of trying to wait for others. ...now, I'm no coder though, so... it's not always going smooth. well, that was about 2 weeks ago, and at this point, I would say I ported about 50% of the mod, but I'm having trouble with the various complex furniture. especially those that try to call in other sprites for extra fancy stuff, like wall-clocks (because of their animated pendulum thing), or complex things that have no example-mod counterpart to observe, such as dressers. lanterns with fire effect also look like an absolute nightmare to fix, maybe I'm just doing something wrong... and animated furniture are also a pain, although managed to get some to work - yay~! - the animation is misalighned... or how to make kitchen counters properly merge with each other, and stuff like that.

oh, but, more blabbering. so, I'm trying the whole in a sort of reverse(?) approach, as I had no idea what to do with the 2 500 errors. so, I made a brand new empty mod, and started adding in furniture one-by-one first, and so it allows to understand the errors and codes better. it's also a great way to learn more about furniture (or tile in general) coding. now I can make fancy things too, such as wall mounted furniture, or stuff hanging from the ceiling. which is great, so I went and tried adding some new stuff like those to my mod too XD

now... as for one, I would like to ask if anyone who knows more about coding, is interested helping fixing some furniture? XD

and I'm also wondering, what to do after? - or even before it's all fixed. - if no one's interested in helping, I can try a "primitive" approach and add back the other, complex furniture with parts of their codes turned off, and we can fix them later, once a coder is interested in helpin, or something. (or once I figure out how to fix them XD)

but the main question there is, how to share it? as the mod is not mine. If I upload to drive and share the link in a new forum post - or in this thread - will that be okay? With properly explaining credit goes to the original creator, who is Chad, not me. Or would it be okay to upload to the mod browser at some point, even though we don't have Chad's permission, as it doesn't seem possible to reach out to them.
What would be a good way to share the mod, so players can use it again? Because it's awesome, and I think it was made for players to use, and not to just end up forgotten...

okay, and here's a bit of teaser(?). there are a whole lot more stuff ported already though.
01.png

02.png

03.png

Yes, new(???) inaction figures and more! How? Well, to my surprise, there were several stuff in the mod's folder that were never added to the previous version of the mod. in fact many of these things had no codesheets, but as far as simple furniture goes, it's easy to code them, so, yeah, there's much "new" stuff too!

Okay, it's been a while we talked about the porting of it, but, a little update...
So, very soon after our conversation back in november, @MidnightAnimal09 offered to help with coding.
He got the mod's files, and run them through T-modporter, which left in about 2 500 errors, which we had no idea what to do with back then.

So, for a while, we were just looking at it, and tried to fix a few stuff, but without much success, and I suppose he's been busy too, so there was no real progress besides T-modporter.
then tried to get help, but the person offering help turned out to be quite busy too. well, anyway, as for one, we're still looking for help.

But, at that point, I decided, if I actually want it ported, the best approach is that I try to port it, instead of trying to wait for others. ...now, I'm no coder though, so... it's not always going smooth. well, that was about 2 weeks ago, and at this point, I would say I ported about 50% of the mod, but I'm having trouble with the various complex furniture. especially those that try to call in other sprites for extra fancy stuff, like wall-clocks (because of their animated pendulum thing), or complex things that have no example-mod counterpart to observe, such as dressers. lanterns with fire effect also look like an absolute nightmare to fix, maybe I'm just doing something wrong... and animated furniture are also a pain, although managed to get some to work - yay~! - the animation is misalighned... or how to make kitchen counters properly merge with each other, and stuff like that.

oh, but, more blabbering. so, I'm trying the whole in a sort of reverse(?) approach, as I had no idea what to do with the 2 500 errors. so, I made a brand new empty mod, and started adding in furniture one-by-one first, and so it allows to understand the errors and codes better. it's also a great way to learn more about furniture (or tile in general) coding. now I can make fancy things too, such as wall mounted furniture, or stuff hanging from the ceiling. which is great, so I went and tried adding some new stuff like those to my mod too XD

now... as for one, I would like to ask if anyone who knows more about coding, is interested helping fixing some furniture? XD

and I'm also wondering, what to do after? - or even before it's all fixed. - if no one's interested in helping, I can try a "primitive" approach and add back the other, complex furniture with parts of their codes turned off, and we can fix them later, once a coder is interested in helpin, or something. (or once I figure out how to fix them XD)

but the main question there is, how to share it? as the mod is not mine. If I upload to drive and share the link in a new forum post - or in this thread - will that be okay? With properly explaining credit goes to the original creator, who is Chad, not me. Or would it be okay to upload to the mod browser at some point, even though we don't have Chad's permission, as it doesn't seem possible to reach out to them.
What would be a good way to share the mod, so players can use it again? Because it's awesome, and I think it was made for players to use, and not to just end up forgotten...

okay, and here's a bit of teaser(?). there are a whole lot more stuff ported already though.
View attachment 397245

View attachment 397246

View attachment 397247
Yes, new(???) inaction figures and more! How? Well, to my surprise, there were several stuff in the mod's folder that were never added to the previous version of the mod. in fact many of these things had no codesheets, but as far as simple furniture goes, it's easy to code them, so, yeah, there's much "new" stuff too!
Well, I'm going to be honest: you could just put it in tModLoader and if Chad appears to claim his mod it's ok, you just go back, because I think that it won't happen because his intentions were to make us Terrarians happy. I don't think he is with this intellectual property thing, but that's just my point of view.
I'm looking forward to see this mod in tModLoader soon!! Good luck on porting the mod btw.

Well, I'm going to be honest: you could just put it in tModLoader and if Chad appears to claim his mod it's ok, you just go back, because I think that it won't happen because his intentions were to make us Terrarians happy. I don't think he is with this intellectual property thing, but that's just my point of view.
I'm looking forward to see this mod in tModLoader soon!! Good luck on porting the mod btw.
This, much like LuiAFK, people love Chad's additions to the game and really want to keep using them. Considering TMOD didn't take action against MiningCrack porting LuiAFK I'd say go ahead. I'd say only Chad himself can really tell you to take the mod down or otherwise. And even then he'd likely be ok with someone continuing to make sure his work is played by many.
EDIT: just realized, I already posted this lol. But, yeah you won't be seriously punished for atleast porting his work, as long as you don't claim ownership of it. (your more of a, maintainer in this regard, a system TMOD setup but didn't really do much with)

Hey, speaking of. I figured someone should just go ahead and do it at some point. And, well, turns out that I too am someone: Chad's Furniture Mod -- Ported to 1.4.3

All credit to Chad of course, I hope he's doing well out there, whatever he's up to. But if he does ever see this, I'd love to chat just to make sure he's okay with all this.

Back
Top Bottom