Challenges for Players who have already passed Expert Mode

Are you interested in this kind of challenge?

• Absolutely! I look forward to participate when the challenge becomes open!

Votes: 190 71.2%
  • I probably won't pass the first few, so I may not participate. Still, Support!

Votes: 83 31.1%
  • I believe Mediumcore and Hardcore are challenge enough for everyone.

Votes: 14 5.2%
  • I do not like this idea as is, but with my suggestions, this could work.

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • I absolutely dislike this idea, for whatever reason.

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thought

Terrarian
Have you already finished Expert Mode? Tired of building giant structures? Wish for a bit more puzzle in your game? Then this is for you!

Introducing Challenge Mode! It's easy. If you wish to participate, write a post on this thread. I will send a message to you personally detailing the first challenge. Finish the first, and I will inform you of the second challenge, and so on.

The challenges: All challenges start with a brand new softcore character, in a brand new normal mode world of any size (unless specified in the challenge). Only one world may be used, although some challenges may require you obtain/destroy certain items before you enter a new world. For example, a challenge may have you start with a Broken Copper Sword instead of a Shortsword of unknown modifier. Most of these challenges would be to finish the game with certain restrictions. As such, I will define "finishing the game" here. In order to finish the game, you must defeat the Moon Lord enough times to craft Lunar tier armor. This means 36 bars, and 45 fragments of the class of your choice. These restrictions would start off by removing nonessential steps, but eventually, the challenges would remove several steps key to gameplay. The first few may include "You may not use buff potions" as the only restriction. The last few may include "You may not use a Copper Pickaxe", and you have to figure out how to continue the game. I guarantee, though, that all of these challenges are possible.

The Rewards: After certain challenges, I will give a code. This code will unlock a new banner, to brag to all, friend or rival.

Additionally, this post will include a high score list, showing the best players, with the most challenges done.

Lastly, please be fair in your self-evaluation. I admit, I have no way of knowing if you cheat. However, I trust you to be accurate. If I suspect you of cheating, I reserve the right to delete your high score, and stop sending challenges. If you have your score deleted, and post a rant below, I will not hesitate to provide the reasoning behind my decision.

Good Luck!

Leaderboard:
1. Jirachi................Challenge 42
2. Ami....................Challenge 18
3. Xman101.............Challenge 13
4. felis...................Challenge 10
5. Krambo232...........Challenge 9
6. Crazymonkeyz1.....Challenge 9
7. 00Banshee00.........Challenge 8
8. Soul103................Challenge 7
9.FSG Gaming...........Challenge 6
10. MasterBrain.........Challenge 6
Congratulations to Jirachi for being the first to complete Challenge 25!
Congratulations to Jirachi for being the first to complete Challenge 10! Also to complete challenge 10 are: Xman101, Ami
The following 145 people have started their challenge: AgentCoolHead, Just_A_Dude, GalacticVoyager, Pinky Slime, Thought, Murphmario, Atrapper, Cubicality, Potato Masher, Felis, TheBezixx, MasterBrain, FishBowl, Zorodu, shadowblade2366, 00Banshee00, Crystal The Lynx, Dreadful Man, Codiferus, Bubble, Terra Prime, Capo Kid 24, njj3400, The Flaming Toast, Khaisz, shamu1122, PulseFox, SirDiesalot1, FSG Gaming, Slips Slimely, pajrc, TheTinyDiamond, YukiYusagi, The_Robstar, zekam11, psieud, Soul103, saemj, Jirachi, Mistress of Starlight, DarthCryo04, Xman101, yugiohhero, AaroSA, excession, _firephoenix_, Krambo232, Mistermavin96, Nareto64, chrono015pc, attick, Crazymonkeyz1,Beezwax&Nectar, SANIC DA HEDHOG, movildima, Queziviat, YellowPie64, Galaxinator, Fritzanius, roozevelt79, Pixelearth, FrancisCoD, zikkosmith, robotzurg, TNK, Bob The Peanut, :red:e Dishron, lufarionite, RektGaming, Doom0, The Terraria Swag Beast, Skoots1349, Nimeni, The_Blocky_Gamer, Mineblock04122, Lord Astra, Janmega03,
MinerTurtle45, Cockroachcomics, Ripraptor, Coolwo, MegaBatcow, Scarfy Scout the Nako, Gama, Lycos Hayes, SteveisNoob, ShadowReaver, octupusmano, Drarky, MageFyre, Silenos, Theanonn, MournfulRelic, Just A Dropling, Ace: The Wild Card, Kirbynumber1, ShadowOfDarkness, AlecHero, SamIsFab, Manager, TheTawtute, Asexual Dinosaur, Dolmor, Thunderbolt33, Demon_Turtle, Dalentim, sm644me, BeyonTheGuy, lamdarkbowser, Jack Macleod, tallstar27, Specctre, Ami, Dogerium, leaf9, TheBlueTiger, Egregor, Circledline, ColinAV516, Dameonight, immolare, pbq, MadaxTheShadow, Desi, Odran, Astrex, Skydoesminecraft210, bennoble30, AnthosTheGreat, Terminator142, GeometricDominator, Arob105, EisaGaming, Mythras, McDale, Thebeatbat1139, [R&S] Sky, TheLoudGallade, tino25312, AdipemDragon, Bhultgren, Red Slime, Hedron Crab, Afro King, TheGamersPlan, Creeperstalked25
Founder: Thought
Challenge generator: Thought, with support from Cubicality
Banner generator: DarkAwesome, with support from Twigileia

Last edited:
Have you already finished Expert Mode? Tired of building giant structures? Wish for a bit more puzzle in your game? Then this is for you!

Or at least the real version of this thread would be for you. This is mainly to see if many people are interested in this.

Introducing Challenge Mode! It's easy. If you wish to participate, write a post on this thread. I will send a message to you personally detailing the first challenge. Finish the first, and I will inform you of the second challenge, and so on.

The challenges: All challenges start with a brand new softcore character, in a brand new normal mode world of any size (unless specified in the challenge). Only one world may be used, although some challenges may require you obtain/destroy certain items before you enter a new world. For example, a challenge may have you start with a Broken Copper Sword instead of a Shortsword of unknown modifier. Most of these challenges would be to finish the game with certain restrictions. As such, I will define "finishing the game" here. In order to finish the game, you must defeat the Moon Lord enough times to craft Lunar tier armor. This means 36 bars, and 45 fragments of the class of your choice. These restrictions would start off by removing nonessential steps, but eventually, the challenges would remove several steps key to gameplay. The first few may include "You may not use buff potions" as the only restriction. The last few may include "You may not use a Copper Pickaxe", and you have to figure out how to continue the game. I guarantee, though, that all of these challenges are possible.

The Rewards: After certain challenges, I will give a code. This code will unlock a new banner, to brag to all, friend or rival.

Speaking of this, anyone know how banners work, and how to make one?

Additionally, this post will include a high score list, showing the best players, with the most challenges done.

Lastly, please be fair in your self-evaluation. I admit, I have no way of knowing if you cheat. However, I trust you to be accurate. If I suspect you of cheating, I reserve the right to delete your high score, and stop sending challenges. If you have your score deleted, and post a rant below, I will not hesitate to provide the reasoning behind my decision.

Good Luck!

Now, several questions. First, are you interested in this kind of challenge? Second, where should I put the thread? I'm not entirely sure which area it goes in. Third, refer to the banners statement above. Lastly, any ideas for challenges? I have several ideas. What about yours?
Wait, how did you post this directly in PC Town Square? Never mind. But first off, two things.
1. If it is something that affects only a portion of the game (like no Copper Pickaxe), you shouldn't have to proceed super far beyond the point where you get past the problem (example using no Copper Pickaxe- eventually, not having a Copper Pickaxe won't matter because you'll have a Nightmare one or something. So, you should only need to beat an early game boss or Wall of Flesh).
2. This would probably go in PC General Talk.
Also, I beleive the mods would want you to simply reuse this thread for the "real thing".

Wait, how did you post this directly in PC Town Square?
I originally posted this in "suggestions". I have no idea how someone put it here. Hopefully, this is a sign that one of the developers thought this is a good idea and placed it so everyone can see.
Never mind. But first off, two things.
1. If it is something that affects only a portion of the game (like no Copper Pickaxe), you shouldn't have to proceed super far beyond the point where you get past the problem (example using no Copper Pickaxe- eventually, not having a Copper Pickaxe won't matter because you'll have a Nightmare one or something. So, you should only need to beat an early game boss or Wall of Flesh).
Yes. These types of restrictions will most likely be in conjunction with other restrictions. This particular restriction forces the player to search the world heavily, most likely visiting the jungle/Ice/underground Desert faster than normal, or fighting the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu with Wooden Armor. Additional restrictions added to this one could include no fighting EoW/BoC, no fishing, no Mythril/Orichalcum Pick/Drill, and only one use per Ancient Manipulator.
2. This would probably go in PC General Talk.
See comment above.
Also, I beleive the mods would want you to simply reuse this thread for the "real thing".
Probably so. I'll probably change the thread into the "real" version once I get enough support.

I like doing this stuff with weapon-restrictions, for example you can only damage enemies with spears or guns. Like the idea of different types of challenges.
Support!

I originally posted this in "suggestions". I have no idea how someone put it here. Hopefully, this is a sign that one of the developers thought this is a good idea and placed it so everyone can see.

Yes. These types of restrictions will most likely be in conjunction with other restrictions. This particular restriction forces the player to search the world heavily, most likely visiting the jungle/Ice/underground Desert faster than normal, or fighting the Eater of Worlds/Brain of Cthulhu with Wooden Armor. Additional restrictions added to this one could include no fighting EoW/BoC, no fishing, no Mythril/Orichalcum Pick/Drill, and only one use per Ancient Manipulator.

See comment above.

Probably so. I'll probably change the thread into the "real" version once I get enough support.
Hmm, I like it. Support!
Also, why not start it now? More people would see it if they saw the banners.

Hmm, I like it. Support!
Also, why not start it now? More people would see it if they saw the banners.
A) I still need to make the banners.
A.1) I still need to know how to make a banner.
B) I still need to make 23 more challenges.
C) I still need to order those 50 challenges in order of difficulty
D) I'm waiting for at least 10 positive votes.

A) I still need to make the banners.
A.1) I still need to know how to make a banner.
B) I still need to make 23 more challenges.
C) I still need to order those 50 challenges in order of difficulty
D) I'm waiting for at least 10 positive votes.
Banners, pasting sprites on a Terraria background for the image. As for the BB code to make it link? No idea.
However, I do have 1 or 2 intresting challenge ideas. I'll PM you with them.

An idea for a challenge is to fight bosses upside down, such as using the gravity globe to kill Expert Moon lord (maybe with weapon restrictions)

I would definitely like to participate! Also, is there a "support" mechanic? Because I want to support this but there is no button... or do I just write: +1 Support!

Just an update:
I have found a method to create banners.
Out of 50 challenges, 49 have been written. However, they are still out of order.
I have received the support I wanted to start these challenges.
Expected time to start: 1 week. Thanks for all the support!

Looks very interesting, though I don't think I am able to finishing the challenge without using buffs, I am poor at dodging.
Is there any chance to skip one challenge or finishing them out-of-order?
Or, is there a time limited for a challenge?

By the way:
You may not use a Copper Pickaxe
This seems easy, player could simply go to the dessert to get a Cactus Pickaxe.

Last edited:
Challenges are up! I have received the first few banners. Those who wish to participate, please leave your message here. On September 1st, 2015, at 12:00 AM GMT, I will send private messages to all participants. Good luck! Credit to DarkAwesome for banners.

i wish to enter, please let me enter!
i actually haven't beaten terraria, normal or expert. so this is my challenge, jump straight to the hard crap >:)!

Yes, I will enter!

I've done an expert play through untill failing the Moon Lord many times, but it's gonna be fun seeing how bad I am with new restrictions :dryadsmile:

1 hour to start! Post your entries now! The following people have entered: AgentCoolHead, Just_A_Dude, Galactic Voyager, Pinky Slime, and Thought!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom