Portfolio/Multi-Topic Change Fairy Mechanism

Phantasm_17

Terrarian
The fairies on version 1.4 that hunts valuable ores and life crystals (those underground fairies) are an extremely big help to any players. Its AI pattern is like this:
- A player encounters a glowing fairy underground.
- It stays beside the player all the time unless it detects nearby treasure and it will keep its distance from the player to somehow lead it to the treasure. Wherever the player goes, the fairy will be focused on the nearest and first treasure it detects, regardless of where the player goes.
- Once it settles on the treasure or 5 mins has passed without detecting treasure, it will vanish.

However, if by chance, the player did not want to follow the fairy and proceed in another direction or way, and somehow the player happens to be closer to another treasure, would it be a good idea that the fairy will recalibrate and re-scan "any closer treasure from the player while (the player) is moving" and not stick to the first treasure it(fairy) detects?

The attached print-screen shows that the fairy is still clinging to the first treasure it found despite nearby life crystal.
Pink-fairy.png

Any comments and better suggestions will be much appreciated. 🙏
Keep playing and enjoy Terraria!

would it be a good idea that the fairy will recalibrate and re-scan "any closer treasure from the player while (the player) is moving" and not stick to the first treasure it(fairy) detects?
Yep, it's actually a good idea, I don't know if you can capture them with a bug net or you can just break the life crystal, maybe the fairy will target another treasure (this would be too op)

@Hootle The Owlet and @Moon_
According to this link: https://terraria.wiki.gg/wiki/Fairies

"On the Surface at night, Fairies can sometimes spawn near Fallen Logs, and can then be caught with a Bug Net. These fairies will not try to lead players to treasure; instead, when approached, they try to flee much like birds."

So there are two kinds of them, one is catchable on the Surface like a literal critter while the other is a treasure hunter in the underground.

And yes, these fairies still detect empty chests and have suggested that chests need to be destroyed so that they can't ever be detected again. It would really be a great idea that they can ignore empty chests on the next update. Or at least, stop detecting chests with items containing a rarity of White.
Item Rarity link: https://terraria.wiki.gg/wiki/Rarity

"To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

"On the Surface at night, Fairies can sometimes spawn near Fallen Logs, and can then be caught with a Bug Net. These fairies will not try to lead players to treasure; instead, when approached, they try to flee much like birds."

And yes, these fairies still detect empty chests and have suggested that chests need to be destroyed so that they can't ever be detected again. It would really be a great idea that they can ignore empty chests on the next update. Or at least, stop detecting chests with items containing a rarity of White.
I agree with you because is pretty useless detecting empty chests, it makes no sense. And thank you for telling me that they can be caught with a bug net, i didn't know that.

I agree with you because is pretty useless detecting empty chests, it makes no sense. And thank you for telling me that they can be caught with a bug net, i didn't know that.
Yep, no problem. Let's hope the devs might notice and consider this.

I knew the surface ones can be caught, but the underground ones can't be captured as far as I know, which is just stupid

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom