NPCs & Enemies Change obtainment method for some weapons

Baconfry

Terrarian
Katana: dropped by King Slime (25%)
A thematically appropriate reward from a boss that also drops the critical strike-themed Ninja set.

Pulse Bow: crafted from Shroomite Bar x18
Pulse Bow always seemed out of place as a rare reward from the Traveling Merchant, especially because it seems to be Shroomite-themed. It makes sense as a craftable item considering that it's not even that good.

Orange Zapinator: crafted from Gray Zapinator, Illegal Gun Parts, Soul of Fright x20
An arguably overtuned item for early Hardmode. This solves the issue of the Gray Zapinator becoming unobtainable, re-tiers the Orange Zapinator, and also breathes some purpose into the most useless boss soul.

Bananarang: 100% drop rate from Clown (but only drops 1 at a time)
Let's be honest: without the wiki, no one will find out that this stacks to 10 unless they're playing Journey mode. This change gives a more consistent feeling of progress.

Beam Sword: replaces Titan Glove on Mimic drop table
Titan Glove: dropped by Rock Golem (50%)

Flamethrower: replaces Dual Hook on Mimic drop table
Dual Hook: drops from Wall of Flesh (independent 33% drop chance)
Mimic drop table has always been weird, with 1 magic weapon amongst a whole bunch of accessories. With this change, Mimics would drop a melee, magic, and ranged weapon.

Beam Sword and Flamethrower were chosen to become Mimic drops because they are obscure and kind of :red:ty, but not so :red:ty that you wouldn't be happy to obtain them if they dropped really early in Hardmode. Flamethrower doesn't even need a stat adjustment.

Rock Golem was chosen as the new recipient of Titan Glove because it's a strong enemy that feels like it should drop something good, but doesn't.

Chik: crafted at Iron/Lead Anvil instead of Mythril/Orichalcum Anvil
Chik was meant to be a weaker RNG-free alternative to Gradient, Amarok, and Hel-Fire, but thanks to the anvil requirement it usually ends up being obtained later than any of those three.

Slap Hand: dropped by Skeleton Merchant (12.5%)
Who even goes underground during a Blood Moon? The Slap Hand is obviously a joke item, so it can join the other joke items like Happy Grenade and Ale Tosser.

Uzi: dropped by Dune Splicer (1%)
Gatligator: dropped by Sand Shark and all variants (1%)
The Underground Desert currently doesn't offer enough rewards in early Hardmode to be worth visiting, especially during a Sandstorm. Meanwhile, the Gatligator and Uzi are very strong guns with obtainment methods that don't make much sense. Two plus two equal four.

Only thing with this is that Gatligator is quite a bit weaker than Uzi by a decent margin - lower DPS, very inaccurate, and no innate pierce with Musket Balls. The only thing it has going for it is being more ammo efficient, which means basically nothing when the good early hardmode ammo are easy to produce en masse.

And this isn’t really an issue with Uzi because you could get it underground, but Gatligator would be a rare drop limited to an unreliable event. There’s no way to force a sandstorm in your world unlike other events, and since they’re so much rarer now, sometimes you can have to wait way too long for one (I’ve spent three hours *in a bed in the desert* waiting for a sandstorm before).

I like everything else on here. Traveling Merchant definitely deserves to sell less high tier weapons.

The Underground Desert currently doesn't offer enough rewards in early Hardmode to be worth visiting, especially during a Sandstorm. Meanwhile, the Gatligator and Uzi are very strong guns with obtainment methods that don't make much sense. Two plus two equal four.
It seems kind of weird to have 2 machine guns be rare drops from the same biome, not to mention the desert is also where you get dark shards for the onyx blaster.

I like how you added a new purpose for souls of fright, however you also took away the only other weapon they can craft :dryadsad:
But I do like a lot of these new methods.
Flamethrower was the reason why I called it the most useless boss soul lol

It seems kind of weird to have 2 machine guns be rare drops from the same biome, not to mention the desert is also where you get dark shards for the onyx blaster.
You've got a point. Gatligator is a weird one and people tend to disagree about how good it is. I've been thinking about it for a while and I think it could be moved to Mythril and Titanium Crates to keep it vaguely aquatic-themed. It would be among the better weapons you could get without engaging in combat, while also being justifiably worse than a gun that rarely drops from a big nasty death worm that appears in massive swarms during a sandstorm.

Slap Hand in prehardmode let's goooo

Getting both the Uzi and the Gatligator from the same biome, during the same event, is pretty weird imo. I'd rather just have both enemies drop the Gatligator, and the Uzi can just stay as a reward for those crazy enough to go to the HM jungle early on

I don't think the Orange Zapinator is strong enough to be a post-mech item (even your tier list has it in A-). The weapon is more of a fun item than something meant to be meta, which fits the rest of the Travelling Merchant's items. It's fine as is imo

Something I did in my mod is change the Flamethrower to be made with a Slime Gun, Illegal Gun parts, and Iron Bars, which basically moves it all the way to the start of the game (with stat nerfs ofc). It makes sense for a Slime boss to drop a Gel-based weapon, and really one of the biggest issues with the Flamethrower is how annoying it is to get ammo for it; now that issue becomes a balancing factor

I think it'd be too... easy if the Wall of Flesh could drop a hook that can last you all the way to Late Hardmode, if not the end of the game. I agree with making the Mimic's loot pool smaller but i dont know if Wall of Flesh needs more powerful drops

Rock Golems dropping the Titan Glove makes a :red: ton of sense and I really want that enemy to serve a bigger purpose than oneshotting you in Master Mode, full support

Slap Hand in prehardmode let's goooo
Unironically yes. Consider that it was changed to deal 1 damage at one point and almost nobody noticed. The idea of Slap Hand becoming good in preHM is too funny to pass up. Plus, what bosses are people going to use it on?

We could reduce its stats to be more in-line with preHM weapons but it's way funnier to leave it this way.

The other weapons could also receive stat changes to reflect retiering, such as a fire rate increase for Orange Zapinator, range decrease for Dual Hook, whatever. If anything I'm surprised how easy it is to rearrange most things without changing their stats at all.

These do seem like good ideas. Perhaps, as an additional change, the King Slime could drop the Slime Staff, as a pre-hardmode counterpart to the Queen Slime dropping a summoning weapon.

Back
Top Bottom