NPCs & Enemies Change the Angler NPC's quest reward system

Do you think this is a good idea?

• Total voters

Elk

Terrarian
I feel like this is drastically needed as the amount of useful items the Angler can give you for completing a quest just keeps getting larger and larger.
Here is (directly off the wiki) all his quest rewards, and I think how it is currently made to work is a bit infuriating. Anyone who's tried to make the cell phone knows what I'm talking about.
Fuzzy Carrot On completing 5th quest
Angler Hat On completing 10th quest
Angler Vest On completing 15th quest
Angler Pants On completing 20th quest
Golden Fishing Rod On completing 30th quest or with 1/250 chance on every quests after 75th quest.
Hotline Fishing Hook 1/100 chance for every quest after 25th quest in Hardmode only
Fin Wings 1/70 chance for every quest after 10th quest in Hardmode only
Bottomless Water Bucket 1/70 chance for every quest after 10th quest in Hardmode only
Super Absorbant Sponge 1/70 chance for every quest after 10th quest in Hardmode only
Golden Bug Net 1/70 chance
Fish Hook 1/60 chance
High Test Fishing Line 1/40 chance
Angler Earring 1/40 chance
Tackle Box 1/40 chance
Mermaid costume 1/40 chance. All 3 pieces awarded at once
Fish costume 1/40 chance. All 3 pieces awarded at once
Fisherman's Pocket Guide 1/40 chance
Weather Radio 1/40 chance
Sextant 1/40 chance
Coralstone Block 1/30 chance. 50-150 blocks at once
Sonar Potion 1/15 chance. 2-5 potions at once
Fishing Potion 1/15 chance. 2-5 potions at once
Crate Potion 1/15 chance. 2-5 potions at once
Bunnyfish Trophy 1/30 chance
Goldfish Trophy 1/30 chance
Sharkteeth Trophy 1/30 chance
Swordfish Trophy 1/30 chance
Treasure Map 1/30 chance
Seaweed Planter 1/30 chance
Pillagin Me Pixels 1/30 chance
Compass Rose 1/30 chance
Ship's Wheel 1/30 chance
Life Preserver 1/30 chance
Wall Anchor 1/30 chance
Ship in a Bottle 1/30 chance
Silver Coin 12-99 coins, the number increases with number of quests, double onExpert Mode
Gold Coin 1-10 coins, the number increases with number of quests, double on Expert Mode
Apprentice Bait 1/3 chance
Journeyman Bait 1/10 chance
Master Bait 1/30 chance
Theres such a large number of things you can receive from him, and if you get multiple of a useless item it can become a pain.

My suggestion would only effect these items
and it would have an entire drop pool with one of each of these items in it. The way it would work is every time you hand in a quest to him, you will receive either one of these items from the drop pool, or some amalgamation of bait, potions, money, coralstone blocks or the milestone rewards (ie angler gear.)
If the item you receive is one of the unique items in the list above it would be taken out of the drop pool, each unique item you receivewould make the drop pool smaller until there is nothing left in it, at this point it would simply reset. The hardmode items of course would only be added to the drop pool once you enter hardmode and items that require you to have completed X amount of quests would only be added into the pool after X amount of quests were fulfilled.

As an example of how this would work, lets say you received the ship in a bottle for completing a quest, you then couldn't get another ship in a bottle (on that character) until you had received every other one of these items from the Angler at least once.

I feel like this would reduce a massive amount of frustration and luck when trying to get specific items from him.

For example, whilst trying to get the Fishermans pocket guide (as the last item I needed to complete the Cell Phone) I received 3 sextants, 2 seaweed planters, 2 angler earings, 2 tackle boxes, 2 mermaid costume sets, 2 fish costume sets and 2 treasure maps (along with plenty of bait and potions.)
I feel that this current is a bit unfair as if there is one item you are trying to get from him, you very well could get 10 fish costumes before you got it once.

There are still a couple items that I want from him, yet I just keep getting fish costumes...
Any constructive criticism would be appreciated

Last edited:
I think that would be good, and it would definitely help people out trying to get things. Finally getting the hotline fishing hook is an awesome feeling, and I don't need another.

Agreed. I still haven't managed to get the Bottomless Water Bucket or the Super Absorbant Sponge like I've been wanting yet. It also took me forever to get the Sextant I needed to finally finish my Cell Phone.

This system would be really good. I can't get these three items needed to make Cell Phone, I spend so much time on fishing and then I get rubbish... The game should check what items you already get and then remove them from your reward list, and when you get all items your list resets. And I have an additional suggestion. That is getting coins on every quest, but with this system: more valuable item - less money, less valuable item - more money.

I am all for this, on my last character I got the bucket, 2 sextants, 4 fishing guides, 2 hotline rods, the sponge, and 3 fish hooks before I finally got the last part to make the cell phone. I have no issue farming or grinding out stuff, but I think the fish finder items need a guaranteed drop, or the above suggestion.

YES PLEASE
I've been cheesing it to get the fish finder ingredients, but I gave up after the lag got so bad I couldn't even throw items at the other players.

After spending forever trying to get the Angler's contributions to the Cell Phone, I finally just decided enough was enough and edited them in. I mean, after some 100 quests and getting just about every non-functional item (except the trophies, ironically enough), this seems like a rage-quit saving improvement. Either this, or make more milestone placements.

I think there's a thread somewhere that suggests the angler gives tokens as a reward and if you have enough tokens you could trade them in for a reward of your choosing. I really like that idea.

That aside, I completely agree that this random reward system could use a change. It would have been incredibly frustrating to get all of my characters a cellphone if not for my fishing trick.

What if you wanted multiple sets of an item?
Don't get me wrong, support all the way, but it would be cool if there was an alternate way to get more than one, maybe it could reward you with a coupon or something...
Idk, But Support! :D

I feel like this is drastically needed as the amount of useful items the Angler can give you for completing a quest just keeps getting larger and larger.
Here is (directly off the wiki) all his quest rewards, and I think how it is currently made to work is a bit infuriating. Anyone who's tried to make the cell phone knows what I'm talking about.
Fuzzy Carrot On completing 5th quest
Angler Hat On completing 10th quest
Angler Vest On completing 15th quest
Angler Pants On completing 20th quest
Golden Fishing Rod On completing 30th quest or with 1/250 chance on every quests after 75th quest.
Hotline Fishing Hook 1/100 chance for every quest after 25th quest in Hardmode only
Fin Wings 1/70 chance for every quest after 10th quest in Hardmode only
Bottomless Water Bucket 1/70 chance for every quest after 10th quest in Hardmode only
Super Absorbant Sponge 1/70 chance for every quest after 10th quest in Hardmode only
Golden Bug Net 1/70 chance
Fish Hook 1/60 chance
High Test Fishing Line 1/40 chance
Angler Earring 1/40 chance
Tackle Box 1/40 chance
Mermaid costume 1/40 chance. All 3 pieces awarded at once
Fish costume 1/40 chance. All 3 pieces awarded at once
Fisherman's Pocket Guide 1/40 chance
Weather Radio 1/40 chance
Sextant 1/40 chance
Coralstone Block 1/30 chance. 50-150 blocks at once
Sonar Potion 1/15 chance. 2-5 potions at once
Fishing Potion 1/15 chance. 2-5 potions at once
Crate Potion 1/15 chance. 2-5 potions at once
Bunnyfish Trophy 1/30 chance
Goldfish Trophy 1/30 chance
Sharkteeth Trophy 1/30 chance
Swordfish Trophy 1/30 chance
Treasure Map 1/30 chance
Seaweed Planter 1/30 chance
Pillagin Me Pixels 1/30 chance
Compass Rose 1/30 chance
Ship's Wheel 1/30 chance
Life Preserver 1/30 chance
Wall Anchor 1/30 chance
Ship in a Bottle 1/30 chance
Silver Coin 12-99 coins, the number increases with number of quests, double onExpert Mode
Gold Coin 1-10 coins, the number increases with number of quests, double on Expert Mode
Apprentice Bait 1/3 chance
Journeyman Bait 1/10 chance
Master Bait 1/30 chance
Theres such a large number of things you can receive from him, and if you get multiple of a useless item it can become a pain.

My suggestion would only effect these items
and it would have an entire drop pool with one of each of these items in it. The way it would work is every time you hand in a quest to him, you will receive either one of these items from the drop pool, or some amalgamation of bait, potions, money, coralstone blocks or the milestone rewards (ie angler gear.)
If the item you receive is one of the unique items in the list above it would be taken out of the drop pool, each unique item you receivewould make the drop pool smaller until there is nothing left in it, at this point it would simply reset. The hardmode items of course would only be added to the drop pool once you enter hardmode and items that require you to have completed X amount of quests would only be added into the pool after X amount of quests were fulfilled.

As an example of how this would work, lets say you received the ship in a bottle for completing a quest, you then couldn't get another ship in a bottle (on that character) until you had received every other one of these items from the Angler at least once.

I feel like this would reduce a massive amount of frustration and luck when trying to get specific items from him.

For example, whilst trying to get the Fishermans pocket guide (as the last item I needed to complete the Cell Phone) I received 3 sextants, 2 seaweed planters, 2 angler earings, 2 tackle boxes, 2 mermaid costume sets, 2 fish costume sets and 2 treasure maps (along with plenty of bait and potions.)
I feel that this current is a bit unfair as if there is one item you are trying to get from him, you very well could get 10 fish costumes before you got it once.

There are still a couple items that I want from him, yet I just keep getting fish costumes...
Any constructive criticism would be appreciated
I Agree In my Fisherman Run i ended up Having atleast Ten tacklebox's but i couldnt get the angler earing

Two years after the start of this thread and this is still an issue! I've put hundreds of hours into the game and not once used an inventory editor, but I'm considering it after failing to get the sextant so many times. I want to have the cellphone before I go into Hardmode, but I haven't gotten a single sextant despite receiving 4 fish hooks, 3 golden bug nets, 6 testing lines, 4 earrings, 8 tackle boxes, 2 pocket guides and 4 weather radios. I won't even say how many decorative items I've gotten.. They have milestones for the Angler Gear, Golden Rod, and even that bunny mount! There ought to be ones for the accessories as well.

I do like this system but would it be permanent or would it be like after getting every unique item once it then goes random (like you could receive a hotline fishing hook twice before receiving a fish costume?

Agreed. I still haven't managed to get the Bottomless Water Bucket or the Super Absorbant Sponge like I've been wanting yet. It also took me forever to get the Sextant I needed to finally finish my Cell Phone.
That is always the first thing I get.

Back
Top Bottom