Items Changes to Crates

652Graystripe

Plantera
Crates are wickedly overpowered, even if they do only drop these things rarely. A crate obtainable at the start of the game has a chance to net you a Molten-tiered harpoon! What's up with that? Overpoweredness disguised by rarity, that's what. These are game breakers if obtained too early.

Proposed changes (Goodie Bags and Presents are here too):
Wooden_Crate.png
Wooden Crate
  • No longer drops the Anchor
Iron_Crate.png
Iron Crate
  • Only drops the Falcon Blade after BoC/EoW is defeated
Golden_Crate.png
Golden Crate
  • Now drops the Anchor, but only after Skeletron is defeated (formerly Hardmode-exclusive)
  • Drops Hardy Saddle only after Angler is rescued
Goodie_Bag.png
Goodie Bag
  • Only drops the Bat Hook after a mech has been defeated
Blue_Present.png
Present
  • Only drops the Candy Cane Hook after WoF has been defeated
  • Only drops Candy Cane gear (Pickaxe, Sword, Fruitcake Chakram) after EoC has been defeated
  • Only drops Red Ryder after Shadow Orb/Pulsating Hearts have been broken
So, that's my revamps. I originally considered some of the crates only being available after a certain milestone is unlocked, but that would kinda invalidate the other loot (bars especially) that's contained within them.

All other tiering-exclusive items (Snow Globe, Hardmode ores, etc.) still remain.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily believe this is needed. Sure some of it is overpowered, but rarity and rng balances it. The anchor is weaker than a cobalt sword and is a weapon not everybody likes to use. A 1/151 chance to get the 3rd best hook in the game is a low enough number as it is.

The fishing crate changes sound alright.
I'm indifferent about the Goodie Bag and Present chages, but I want to mention an argument someone else said somewhere ─ season items can be "overpowered" for the time they can be acquired, since they're season items ─ they're there to give you the right feeling for the season, and if someone changes their system time just to ruin their own fun, it's their loss. Note that this is not me speaking, this is just something I found worth mentioning.

I don't necessarily believe this is needed. Sure some of it is overpowered, but rarity and rng balances it. The anchor is weaker than a cobalt sword and is a weapon not everybody likes to use. A 1/151 chance to get the 3rd best hook in the game is a low enough number as it is.
I think what Gray's getting at here - and I agree with him - is that that one kid who's just really lucky and sweep through a good amount of the game before progression catches up to him, with no need for skill or tactics.

whats op by gold crate giving the hardy saddle
The way I see it is that the Hardy Saddle, being a mount, probably shouldn't be available on the first night... at least that's what I think. Gray probably has something else.

And that's the only reason you dislike this suggestion? That's pretty odd, and shows little hope that it can improve.

Molten Tier Harpoon?

Assuming we're talking Anchor, that's limited to HM anyways. IMO not really a problem at all.

Hardy Saddle is really more of a vanity/showoffy item than anything else, not much mobility. I personally wouldn't care if it was made more rare or not.

The other stuff I'm fine with. (Though again, wouldn't really make huge impact on me.)

no
The way I see it is that the Hardy Saddle, being a mount, probably shouldn't be available on the first night... at least that's what I think. Gray probably has something else.

And that's the only reason you dislike this suggestion? That's pretty odd, and shows little hope that it can improve.
no but i had to shut down the computer but now im back (from outer space) the chance to get the iron crate is relatively small and the chance of getting the falcon blade is pretty low too (1 in 16) so the chance to get falcon blade is maybe 1 in 450-600? its nice to have a good weapon on yourre first night
[DOUBLEPOST=1426357454][/DOUBLEPOST]
I'm interested. What is your reasoning?
but the present nerf is a good idea

The thing is, rarity is no excuse for being overpowered. While some people, such as yourself, may want a 25-damage weapon on their first night, others think that's hugely unfair and overpowered.

Back
Top Bottom