Items Changing How to Get Biome Keys

11clock

Terrarian
You currently obtain biome keys as very rare drops from enemies in their respective biomes. This can make it annoying to get your hands on the loot in the biome chests in the dungeon. I propose a more streamlined way of getting the biome keys.

All of the biome keys are located in the Temple. Each key is in a chest in a room decorated after the biome that the key represents. For example, the frozen key is in a room with snow and ice scattered around, representing the Tundra. This is very similar to Treacherous Mansion in Luigi's Mansion 2. This change would make the keys much easier to obtain without relying on RNG or AFK farms, fit into the game's natural progression (you unlock both the Temple and Hardmode Dungeon after beating Plantera), and also make the Temple feel like a callback to all of the biomes you have visited over the course of the game.

This simplifies the method extremely, not sure if I totally agree. Something as simple as increasing the drop rate would be a more sufficient change in my opinion.

This simplifies the method extremely, not sure if I totally agree. Something as simple as increasing the drop rate would be a more sufficient change in my opinion.

The idea is to avoid needing to farm them at all, and have them be something you just get naturally. You still need to survive the dangers of the Hardmode Dungeon to get the loot, anyways.

Content shouldn't be locked behind RNG, and Terraria has a bad habit of this as-is.

I think I saw something happen on badgers YouTube video (of his 1.4 stream) and someone guessed if the biome torches helped towards getting the biome keys and red said shhhh, so I think it may help with getting biome keys, just a theory, anyone able to confirm this?

I just had another idea to make the keys still feel earnable instead of giving them away in the jungle temple.

I propose that the key that Plantera drops is a reusable key that not only opens the Temple, but ruins located in the other biomes as well. The Temple would have both the jungle key in a side room and the Golem boss. The ruins in other biomes are much smaller scale than the Temple and mainly serve as barriers for getting the biome keys (they would not have their own music and enemies and whatever, just be small structures).

This way, you would need to seek out the locations of the biome keys around the world. Perhaps there could be an item to help you locate them as well?

I think I saw something happen on badgers YouTube video (of his 1.4 stream) and someone guessed if the biome torches helped towards getting the biome keys and red said shhhh, so I think it may help with getting biome keys, just a theory, anyone able to confirm this?
Yes, torches help, gnomes, and luck potions. I actually was farming the desert key and the frozen key and got them both in 20 min.

Yes, torches help, gnomes, and luck potions. I actually was farming the desert key and the frozen key and got them both in 20 min.

While it's nice that there are faster ways to get the biome keys now, I still don't like the method of obtaining them in the first place. They can increase the drop rate and provide means to increase it, but it's still a very boring way to get biome keys (farming isn't my idea of "fun").

I propose that the key that Plantera drops is a reusable key that not only opens the Temple, but ruins located in the other biomes as well. The Temple would have both the jungle key in a side room and the Golem boss. The ruins in other biomes are much smaller scale than the Temple and mainly serve as barriers for getting the biome keys (they would not have their own music and enemies and whatever, just be small structures).

This way, you would need to seek out the locations of the biome keys around the world. Perhaps there could be an item to help you locate them as well?

What do you think about this approach instead of the one in the OP? Hiding them around the world would encourage exploration over enemy farming in one spot until you get a drop, and an item to help you locate them would keep you from having to search every inch of the world for them. The only question is where the hallow key would go, since it's not a present biome on world gen. Perhaps on a sky island?

Torch luck has since been removed, because it actually decreased the rng chances for putting the wrong torches in the wrong places, Red didn't have a good enough arguement to keep it.

Luck potions and keeping gnomes nearby as a lucky radius item + water candles to promote the chances of encountering hostile mobs should be fine.

You still need to survive the dangers of the Hardmode Dungeon to get the loot, anyways.
What dangers? Dungeon enemies only spawn if you're in front of dungeon walls. Make a tunnel to the chest while removing the walls and the only enemies that will spawn are cavern ones. I did this on my master mode world just yesterday.

Torch luck has since been removed, because it actually decreased the rng chances for putting the wrong torches in the wrong places
Negative torch luck was removed. Positive torch luck is still a thing. Do you have a link to proof otherwise?

You currently obtain biome keys as very rare drops from enemies in their respective biomes. This can make it annoying to get your hands on the loot in the biome chests in the dungeon. I propose a more streamlined way of getting the biome keys.

All of the biome keys are located in the Temple. Each key is in a chest in a room decorated after the biome that the key represents. For example, the frozen key is in a room with snow and ice scattered around, representing the Tundra. This is very similar to Treacherous Mansion in Luigi's Mansion 2. This change would make the keys much easier to obtain without relying on RNG or AFK farms, fit into the game's natural progression (you unlock both the Temple and Hardmode Dungeon after beating Plantera), and also make the Temple feel like a callback to all of the biomes you have visited over the course of the game.
This is a good idea but they also need to make sure that terraria naturally generates every biome chest in the dungeon because when I was killing random monsters one of them dropped a crimson key. Then I tried to go unlock a crimson chest in the dungeon I found that there was no crimson chest in my dungeon rendering the crimson key totally useless

Last edited:
What dangers? Dungeon enemies only spawn if you're in front of dungeon walls. Make a tunnel to the chest while removing the walls and the only enemies that will spawn are cavern ones. I did this on my master mode world just yesterday.

Negative torch luck was removed. Positive torch luck is still a thing. Do you have a link to proof otherwise?

You are assuming that most players will think to remove the walls in the first place. You aren't expected to cheese the game in such a manner. (If anything the devs should probably patch this. Make dungeon walls and backwalls as strong as the jungle temple.)

You are assuming that most players will think to remove the walls in the first place. You aren't expected to cheese the game in such a manner. (If anything the devs should probably patch this. Make dungeon walls and backwalls as strong as the jungle temple.)
It's how the game mechanics work. It's not 'cheesing'.

Back
Top Bottom