Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like everyone will be hard at work when they begin developing the game, it's nice to have an update for it too. At least we know what's going on with the game now.

Well, despite all that's happened, I'm personally just glad the we can get any news at this point. It certainly is a bummer that we have to wait longer, yet. But it's certainly great to see how much care Re-Logic puts into their property. It's that kind of mindset that makes the difference between a good developer and a bad one. Hopefully the recent changes means nothing but good news going forward. I am very much looking forward to this game with all the hours I've put into Terraria! Good luck to both teams going forward!

Honestly Ive given up on this game after reading all this, because when it was announced in 2015 and them saying it was going to be done at the end of 2015 and then saying it was delayed til 2016 and now saying it wont even be likely of a 2017 release makes me not even wanna play anymore to be honest.. Ive waited for this game and now to just hear ''We will be starting fresh'' 2 and half years down the drain for nothing.

Honestly Ive given up on this game after reading all this, because when it was announced in 2015 and them saying it was going to be done at the end of 2015 and then saying it was delayed til 2016 and now saying it wont even be likely of a 2017 release makes me not even wanna play anymore to be honest.. Ive waited for this game and now to just hear ''We will be starting fresh'' 2 and half years down the drain for nothing.
It isn't down the drain for nothing, they have been adapting to challenges that they have come across. Also they aren't starting completely over. Pipeworks and Relogic will be looking over the game as it currently stands and will decide where they are going from where it currently is, so they have a foundation they are working from. It has been a long time, but these things happen in game development and it is usually pretty much unavoidable for unforeseen circumstances to push back development.

Waiting does not cost any time, money or effort, while buying and playing a game does. Spending time and money on an unfinished game is going to be a far worse allocation of resources than waiting for a finished game any way you slice it. :)

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is an example of a delayed game with an overhaul or two to better fit the developer's vision, and that game ended up hitting legendary status.

Pretty good point. Resident Evil 4, for instance, had its engine scrapped, gameplay, and storyline scrapped multiple times during its development.

These are some pretty epic comparisons! :pinky: Breath of the Wild (if I may be so bold!) is an even more recently example of delays ending in a fantastic game.

Yeah, yeah, I know we're not making a Zelda game, and we're not Nintendo, but a guy can dream, right?

Last edited:
Yeah, yeah, I know we're not making a Zelda game, and we're not Nintendo, but a guy can dream, rig
Well you guys are Re-Logic, and you are making a game that will probably have more Zelda references than I have prosthetic appendages!

We appreciate the support. We're excited to be able to start sharing more information in the future. It has been a long road for Otherworld, but this type of move is exceedingly rare in the industry, and shows a complete commitment on the part of Re-Logic to deliver a experience they know will resonate with the community.

Everyone here at Pipeworks understands the tremendous responsibility we've been given, and we're ecstatic to be a part of the Terraria family.

As @Loki mentioned there will radio silence for a bit, but we're going to make sure we keep the lines of communication open and frequent as soon as we can.

We want you on this journey with us.

Last edited:
We appreciate the support. We're excited to be able to start sharing more information in the future. It has been a long road for Otherworld, but this type of move is exceedingly rare in the industry, and shows a complete commitment on the part of Re-Logic to deliver a experience they know will resonate with the community.

Everyone here at Pipeworks understands the tremendous responsibility we've been given, and we're ecstatic to be a part of the Terraria family.

As @Loki mentioned there will radio silence for a bit, but we're going to make we keep the lines of communication open and frequent as soon as we can.

We want you on this journey with us.
It's actually really nice they are giving us a heads up earning about the incoming silence. Hope it's not too long...

I'll wait ten damn years if I have to! Take your time! Look how great games like Breath of the Wild, and the Terraria 1.3 update turned out!
I have a small question regarding the resolution of the game. I can assume that it will run at native resolutions (720p, 1080p, 1440p, etc.), but my question entrails zooming.
In the original game, all of sprites are very small, as the game is zoomed out to a great extent, especially when you get up to 1080p. Will Terraria: Other World follow this same style? This has always been one of my favorite things about Terraria, the small and highly detailed sprites, giving you more viewing room as you explore, build, and take in the beauty of Terraria.
Anyways, I fully support your decision to rework the game, anything for a polished end product! The screenshot looks very interesting as well! Very nice art-style, as usual, but the biome mechanic looks really interesting!

Can't wait to hear more about not only the future of Terraria (1.3.5 and beyond), but more on TOW! Thanks for the update :)

EDIT: One more question. Will Terraria: Other World receive additional content patches after release, much like the original Terraria?

Last edited:
I feel like people are complaining for the sake of complaining now
Big news about terraria otherworld coming, and a great wave of people arrives, who complain about there not being news. What is wrong with us?

He said that a couple pages ago. Someone asked him about a 2017 release and he said "Very Unlikely". But then again, it is 8 months and a lot can happen in 8 months. I wouldn't write it off entirely, but yet I sure wouldn't place any bets on it ('17 release) happening either.

Best thing we can hope for, is a stellar release of 1.3.5, that has some sort of content that adds a good chunk of stuff to one's playthrough.

And/or for someone to make a huge content mod that isn't "Dark Souls in Terraria".
Personally, I'm fine with any extended period of wait, anything for a polished experience, it will give the community of the original Terraria more time to create some great content, such as texture packs, more mods, and adventure maps. That said, I do expect at least something pretty good from 1.3.5, things have been quiet about that update, other than adding some missing content, and some much needed QoL changes, not much else we have been teased of yet. Either way, still receiving free updates 6 years later (give or take a few months) is something that few games have ever done, and is very much appreciated. I expect the same from ToW, and other Re-Logic titles in the future.
[doublepost=1491340098,1491339799][/doublepost]
One thing I REALLY wish they would do... is make a texture pack update for Terraria.

That alone would add so much life to the original Terraria. Make an optional texture pack that we can all download and enable that overhauls the look of the game. It'd still be the same game, but it would FEEL different because of how different everything looks. That would extend the life of the game while we wait.

There's a couple fan-made packs going on, but they have like, what, 1% of the game done? (Not blaming the artist(s)/fan(s) associated with it: it's a lot of hard work).
I am in contact with a few texture pack creators, and the only thing that we can say is, it will be done when its done (kind of like Otherworld), spriting this many textures is very difficult. But now that TOW will likely be pushed back, we have time to work on packs without TOW distracting us, were it to release soon. I definitely look forward to seeing some of these packs completed, they have huge potential. If you would like to see more, join the Terrafine, and Noveaude Pixels discord channels! I am also the co-creator of a UI pack, KATTUI. By the time Otherworld releases, there may even be some packs that will start development over there! It's still early days for planning, though.(Apologies for the off-topic discussion here, just weighing in on something that I deeply care about regarding the community).

@Xylia, do you mean developer created texture packs for T1 and TOW? To support the two different games looking like each other?

Or are you just talking about fan generated content.

Developer-made, yes. They already have all the assets right there, so surely they could release the 'packs to people who have purchased both games or something? Like "Buy both Terraria Games and receive a Texture Pack to make each game look like the other optionally!" type deal?

EDIT: @Techdude594 :

I am in contact with a few texture pack creators, and the only thing that we can say is, it will be done when its done (kind of like Otherworld), spriting this many textures is very difficult. But now that TOW will likely be pushed back, we have time to work on packs without TOW distracting us, were it to release soon. I definitely look forward to seeing some of these packs completed, they have huge potential. If you would like to see more, join the Terrafine, and Noveaude Pixels discord channels! I am also the co-creator of a UI pack, KATTUI. By the time Otherworld releases, there may even be some packs that will start development over there! It's still early days for planning, though.(Apologies for the off-topic discussion here, just weighing in on something that I deeply care about regarding the community).

You were trying to do both games at once? *blinks* huh, never knew. And yes, from what I've seen of your texture packs, they look awesome. I hope you didn't take my words as a diss at you guys or anything when I said about so little of it being done, I realize that there are thousands of items, and maybe nearly ten-thousand sprites/textures that would need to be done? Maybe more? I understand that takes an enormous amount of work. So perhaps I will check this discord thing out, though I am not sure what I could possibly contribute to it (I suck at art, lol).

Developer-made, yes. They already have all the assets right there, so surely they could release the 'packs to people who have purchased both games or something? Like "Buy both Terraria Games and receive a Texture Pack to make each game look like the other optionally!" type deal?

EDIT: @Techdude594 :

You were trying to do both games at once? *blinks* huh, never knew. And yes, from what I've seen of your texture packs, they look awesome. I hope you didn't take my words as a diss at you guys or anything when I said about so little of it being done, I realize that there are thousands of items, and maybe nearly ten-thousand sprites/textures that would need to be done? Maybe more? I understand that takes an enormous amount of work. So perhaps I will check this discord thing out, though I am not sure what I could possibly contribute to it (I suck at art, lol).
Let me rephrase here, texture pack creators, such as myself, are intending on spriting for TOW after its release. We don't even know what image format they are using yet! I do not view your comment negatively at all! As for contribution, @Zanderstorm will be creating a guide for spriting very soon, I'd recommend you check it out if you'd like to help, all help is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Regarding the first part of your comment, I'd love to see that happen, Terraria styled sprites for TOW, and vice versa! Very interesting, though the developers certainly don't have to trouble themselves, unless they want to. However, do expect to see some stuff in the upcoming months from fan-made texture packs! The future is looking good for texture packs!

I actually remember way back when Otherworld was first announced, with it being developed in part by Engine and set to release in 2015. At the time I was almost positive that the game wouldn't be ready by then, and I remember being slightly worried about Engine being behind development, as I really wasn't a fan of their work from the console versions...

Kind of wish I didn't end up being right, but I'm glad to hear that development is being put back on track again. Here's hoping things go much smoother from here on out, and I'm looking forward to seeing how Pipeworks handled the console ports of Terraria!

I'm bummed that it's been delayed even more, but excited to hear that Terraria: Otherworld is still going to happen. Hopefully there won't be any more set backs so we can see more progress on it in future Otherworld status/spoiler updates.

Would development consider a small compromise (when development starts moving forward full steam again)? Perhaps a "Happenings in T:OW Development" once per week, bi-weekly, or monthly? Small-Medium posts pending time frame and available info. Maybe a screenshot or 2?

I would rather they not do this just for the sake of it. Coming from another indie game (Kerbal Space Program), forced "update"/Devlog posts without any real reason other than to keep a schedule eventually bottoms out. Users get expectant of the content. When nothing of note is happening (or even when things are going according to plan and schedule), they scream bloody murder for lack of meaningful content. And let's not get into fueling rampant speculation and more expectations. (I have a love/hate mentality concerning the KSP community, both user- and dev-side.)

I've come to prefer the news content from Terraria/Re-Logic, Factorio, and Starsector/Fractal Softworks. (Oh, almost forgot Bannerlord...) They post when they feel the need and have actual content. (SQUAD with KSP does more boilerplate-/politi-speak, being vague about stuff, leaving users to fill in the gaps. It gets ugly sometimes...) Even when it's not directly dev-progress related, the content is still dev-process related, so they give insight to what the devs are thinking and why things are the way they are.

I prefer consuming solid news in nicely proportioned meals instead of snacking on junk and filler (and without immediate context. It's amazing how much you can forget in a week.)

(Hmm... That analogy sounded better in my head. Oh well.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom