Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see a switch version of TOW, but that's probably way too early to determine, the hardware of each of the systems will have to be evaluated, since the game is being reworked.

I can't help thinking of the term 'development hell' for some reason.
I need to use it in a sentence.

They should name the new underworld/hell area for TOW "2016"

"Uh-oh. I'm under the cavern layer and approaching 2016!"

They should name the new underworld/hell area for TOW "2016"

"Uh-oh. I'm under the cavern layer and approaching 2016!"
Um, no, it should be : When you hear that they are going to remake TOW in a different engine, it will officially be in development hell.

Sad to hear that OW is behind schedule, but happy to hear it's being worked on and shuffled around! So progress is indeed being made. I'm looking forward towards future updates. :D

Good. Engine sucked. I always thought otherworld was going to be garbage simply because they had a hand in it. Now I actually have reason to look forward to this game.

Developer-made, yes. They already have all the assets right there, so surely they could release the 'packs to people who have purchased both games or something? Like "Buy both Terraria Games and receive a Texture Pack to make each game look like the other optionally!" type deal?

@Xylia, while things are heavily in flux right now, I think its pretty clear from the spoilers shown already that the game does not have that sort of 1 to 1 conversion potential in terms of taking textures and just copy+pasting them into the other game. Things have different shapes, the games have their own enemies and items, and the animation mechanics are entirely distinct from Terraria's.

TOW isn't just a retexture of Terraria that could be "swapped back" in terms of art. They are both entirely distinct games with their own art and animation styles which aren't interchangeable. Would it be plausible to exchange the art of some items for others? Probably. But there is nothing even set in stone that items will be of the same dimensions; perhaps a piece of furniture that is 1x3 blocks in Terraria could be 2x4 in TOW, which doesn't allow for a simple "the assets are right there" swap out. What about unique enemies and armors, which only exist in one or the other? Perhaps its just lingering misinterpretation of TOW as a reskinned Terraria, but it wouldn't be as simple as a swap out.

Edge of Space burned out in a similar way. They promised this, promised that, they'd release a few small updates here-and-there, and then they dumped their game on steam as a "Full game" and then just took the money and ran away.

But then, Early Access is a little different than a Game In Development... much less likely that a developer is going to dump a game and run unless it gets to the point it is absolutely impossible to reasonably finish it.

And I know Re-Logic ain't that kind of developer.
Yeah well considering how this is going, it would be wise to wait before placing too much trust in anything yet, considering how the antics of the Edge Of Space team are eerily similar to events thus far.

People have been complaining that there was no news for a while, and then there's an update and they start complaining that it isn't a release. First off, there was no indication from the devs that a release was imminent; people inferred that themselves. Also, there's nothing the devs can do about this. If they released spoilers, people's imaginations would likely make more of them than was intended, resulting in disappointment later on.
Also, when too much is spoiled(as was my opinion of terraria 1.3), there's a lot less that people get to discover themselves, which again lowers enjoyment. As for the reasons behind this current course of events(switching from engine to pipeworks, re-doing part of the game), re-logic can't reveal every detail, impatient as we might be to hear it. This is likely due to business restrictions and confidentiality(as loki mentioned), and so really they did the best they could.

When people complain that it isn't as finished as they wanted, that's 1. beyond re-logic's control, and 2. expected due to conjecture and assumptions made by them, not because of information given by re-logic. Also, it's better for them to be honest about the state of the game rather than be unrealistically optimistic, and we've really been quite lucky compared to a lot of other game developers.

I was part of a game community for a long time in which the developers announced a bit too much too soon and too often. Since it was a small indie studio and they consistently had trouble meeting the (fairly grandiose) goals they announced, it resulted in the community as a whole becoming extremely angry, jaded and bitter. Years later, this process is on-going, as the remainder of the community is still waiting for a content update that was announced probably 5 years ago now.

That's a pretty extreme example, but from that experience, I am perfectly happy with relative radio silence. I know you guys will deliver a quality product made with love!
Which game are you referring to?

There are mods to keep things fresh, but too many mods that add "Lots of content" are developed by people who seemingly love Dark Souls. If I wanted Dark Souls, I'd go play Dark Souls. A couple of the mods I've tried are overtuned, the bosses are ridiculously hard, and I've seen video of other bosses that have ridiculous amounts of health and take simply forever to kill. I remember seeing a couple of Chippy's videos and he's spending upwards of 5 minutes wailing away at the thing and it still has more than half of its health and meanwhile, if he gets hit once or twice, he loses a huge chunk of his health. *sigh* I don't get why people think this is fun, but yeah. I might try Calamity after I get done with Terraria Leveled, but I don't really know how far I'll be getting in that. I don't like beating on the same stupid enemy for 5, 10+ minutes. I had enough of that with Moon Lord.
While i've personally thought that many mods were too easy and added too many OP items, i agree with your point. There's a mod called statsconfig that you can use to make enemies or bosses stronger or weaker.

These are some pretty epic comparisons! :pinky: Breath of the Wild (if I may be so bold!) is an even more recently example of delays ending in a fantastic game.

Yeah, yeah, I know we're not making a Zelda game, and we're not Nintendo, but a guy can dream, right?

Terraria is way better than BotW. Compare loot for a start. -_-

...Update 1.3.4 added the DD2 stuff and while I understand a lot of people love it, because they are DD2 players... I myself, am not. I'm not saying the update is bad, I just think that the "tower defense" they implemented in the game is... not really my cup of tea, and most of the rewards are very summoner-heavy....

Yah, Otherworld really advertised the tower defense aspect - which I don't particularly find interesting as a gameplay mechanic. It also changed a major part of the game by making it imperative to cleanse the evil - well what about loot gained from said evil?

Otherworld needs to be different enough from Terraria to pique my interest - and add something more interesting than the already very interesting formula that already exists. Tough tasks! Sucks to be a developer :happy:

But seriously to Re-Logic, thanks for holding off on releasing low quality and spending more time to in getting it right. Time is money for you guys not for us..

Waiting does not cost any time, money or effort, while buying and playing a game does. Spending time and money on an unfinished game is going to be a far worse allocation of resources than waiting for a finished game any way you slice it. :)

Bazinga.

Hey guys so happy to hear the things are moving on and i just want to include my desire.
As i can see in terms of graphics this game wont be very soft and it would require some performance so i realy hope its multiple cores and threads supported (4/6/8) it wont be a mistake if you do it. I cross fingers to see it out this year !!! Wish you the best.

Also does the work on Terraria 2 started or its just announcced ?

Last edited:
Boy, with all this circle jerking the relogic team probably could have already programmed and finished the game themselves instead of relying on other teams to do it.

Well, my hype for this game died a long time ago. Poor management has ruined the potential of this game in my eyes.

As much as I'm excited for TOW, I'm a bit indifferent in the sense that I see no reason to complain. We've already got Terraria. Anything else is just icing on the cake :)

While I've pretty much resigned myself to TOW becoming the next Half Life 3; I would appreciate it if while you guys are developing the game, you didn't put exclusive content in different versions of the game. It was annoying in Terraria, it'll be the same in TOW.

Aside from that, glad to hear you're working on development issues, hopefully I'll hear about some new previews before I check back in approx 3 months.

Yeah well considering how this is going, it would be wise to wait before placing too much trust in anything yet, considering how the antics of the Edge Of Space team are eerily similar to events thus far.

That was with the prior development team though, and now we have a new development team. It seems to me that Re-Logic was trying to avoid another Edge of Space happening by changing development teams.

I think if Edge of Space would have been handed to someone more competent, it would have done well. But instead, the people who held the rights to it decided to throw an unfinished game up on Steam just to cash in when they no longer wanted to work on it.

Thankfully, Re-Logic is not the kind of company that does stupid crap like that. They want to release the game right and good, and so this is what we get: a new development team that will hopefully work out better, but at a cost of added delays.

At least we didn't get a buggy, incomplete mess of a game that's barely worth playing, and a bunch of empty promises (like Edge of Space). I just wish EoS's developers would have sold the project to someone else or something, the premise was really cool. It just needed work to make it into a good game.

@rubeszilla : The tower defense aspect isn't what bothers me about 1.3.4 .... it's the mechanics behind it, and the lack of supporting weapons other than tons of summoner minions/turrets, especially pre-hardmode. Terraria (the original one) was NOT built with this in mind, and it shows glaring flaws, right down to the fact the game has this annoying anti-terrain exploit feature in it.

Everywhere else in Terraria, you are free to do whatever you wish with Terrain (which is, you know, THE WHOLE PREMISE OF THE GAME?!) to gain the upper hand over your foes. But NOT with the 1.3.4 content, oh no. The game will tell you to sod off if you don't have an almost perfectly flat area of at least 200 blocks on either side of the crystal. I don't know about you, but the worlds I tend to generate, I have to do an annoying amount of terraforming JUST to get the stupid eternia crystal to even work, unless I do it in the desert.... oh wait..... sandstorms. I get sandstorms like 50% of the time. Not gonna try and do tower defense in the middle of a sandstorm, you know?

And even if I went through all the trouble to flatten a large portion of the world for the crystal's liking, what do I get as a reward? yay, summoner equipment... that I'd never use because I don't play summoner!

At least Terraria: Otherworld, the Tower Defense aspect is baked into the core game, and the game would be DESIGNED around it and it should work much better. I've seen screenshots of the towers being in varied terrain, so it doesn't require huge flat expanses just to work.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom