Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was already addressed....

sorry, i didn't comb the entire topic, but i see people make that mistake fairly often.

I have plenty of positive things to say about Terraria. Though there is a point to be made that one can only do the same kind of stuff over and over again, and needs new content now and then (other than Dark Souls kinda stuff, that is).

well, what do you expect? a complete genre shift with completely different mechanics? that's not how games typically work... and besides, complaining about content seems a bit... silly, really... i've never seen any game in all my decades of gaming get so many huge updates, and all for free.

i'm also not overly fond of mods in games, personally, because they butcher the original vision of the game and it feels like someone spraying graffiti on a beautiful work of art.

So, just because I didn't enjoy it as much as others who loved it, that means my opinion is wrong, or bad?

I was simply explaining why I was so hopeful that 1.3.5 has something in it that I would really enjoy, and explaining why 1.3.4 didn't fit that criteria much.

I think overall you're reading too deep into what I said. I was merely trying to say that yeah I have hope for Terraria and T:OW but the long delays are going to be rough because I miss the days when there was new content to be had, when I wasn't getting bored of the game, lol.

Doesn't help that the Dark Souls mods are such a tease. awesome looking content that's just too difficult to really be fun.

EDIT: And also, this isn't Terraria's or Re-Logic's fault, but there really aren't very many games that I'm actually interested in lately. The video game market seems rather dry this past year or two... not much coming out that I like. Terraria's one of the few, and sadly it's difficult for me to even do a playthrough because I've seen the stuff a million times already it feels like.

wasn't saying that, but it sounded like you just wish the update wasn't there... which is odd, considering you were saying you wanted more content, seems silly to want more content in a game that gets far more than any other game i know of, all for free, only to then complain about content it gets, and to such an extent, as well.

i don't think the market is dry at all... i see tons of games that i want, but simply can't afford, more games than i can count, really.

sounds like you just have an extremely limited taste in games, which sucks, because there are plenty of fun games out there.

well, what do you expect? a complete genre shift with completely different mechanics? that's not how games typically work... and besides, complaining about content seems a bit... silly, really... i've never seen any game in all my decades of gaming get so many huge updates, and all for free.

I really don't understand how you possibly got THAT out of anything I said... that leaves me rather confused.

I didn't say I expected anything to be honest.

i'm also not overly fond of mods in games, personally, because they butcher the original vision of the game and it feels like someone spraying graffiti on a beautiful work of art.

I love mods... usually. They add lots of content, they add new fresh things, when they aren't tuned badly that is. lol. I suppose I'm spoiled by the likes of Frackin'Universe over at Starbound...

wasn't saying that, but it sounded like you just wish the update wasn't there... which is odd, considering you were saying you wanted more content, seems silly to want more content in a game that gets far more than any other game i know of, all for free, only to then complain about content it gets, and to such an extent, as well.

Uh, I never said that either. I said that 1.3.4 didn't have much in it for me. I never said I wish the update didn't exist, I never said the content didn't exist. What I WAS saying, is that I wish the rewards it offered were... spread out a bit more and not of summoners, by summoners, and for summoners. What if you're not a summoner? Then there's not much in it for you. That's the only problem I have. *shrugs*

I'm fine with the update being there, I guess I just kinda wish there was a little more... I don't know, variety for the classes outside of maybe one or two weapons in the entire update?

i don't think the market is dry at all... i see tons of games that i want, but simply can't afford, more games than i can count, really.

Tons of games, yes... but not ones I'm actually interested in. Triple-A overpriced stuff makes up a huge portion of said market, and on the Indie scene, well there's lots of anime hentai games, there's joke games, there's very short games that are priced a bit higher than I'd really want to pay, etc.

sounds like you just have an extremely limited taste in games, which sucks, because there are plenty of fun games out there.

Everybody's opinion of fun is subjective, and valid. Maybe sometime we could talk about various games on the market and I could paint you a better picture of the problems I have with the Steam Market these days, lol. I'm obviously not going to do that in this thread though.

So Loki, you stated that you guys still have all of the art and code. Will stuff that's already done have to change, or will you keep moving along, just with pipe works?

Every time I stop by here I'm a bit surprised at how the Terraria community seems to expect that Rome be built in a day, but I guess that's part and parcel with a younger fanbase.

An interesting observation, but one that I can not relate to, either from my past experiences or from the responses in this thread. Of course, there will always be some individual people that get upset by news like this, but it's by far not the majority of us, so I find generalising the Terraria community as a whole as such both inaccurate and, I'll not sugar-coat it, insulting.
For us vintage-model gamers, it can be hard to understand this mindset of fans wanting every studio to keep them informed about everything going on internally on a development project. It wasn't like that when we were kids or even young adults; that's a fairly recent development in the last 5-10 years especially. It seems like many players make themselves unhappy by expecting so much communication and hand-holding and then being disappointed when that's just not practical or even useful for many companies, especially smaller studios.

I disagree: a continuous flow of information to and from game studios, especially small ones, helps both the companies to understand what their players (customers) want, and it also communicates to the players what their 'providers' (stupid word, I know, but it fits the bill) are doing. In fact, it's this very development in our medium that allows indie companies, like Re-Logic, to exist at all (they wouldn't have stood a chance in the first half of the last decade, let alone before that). However, that is not a development in the game industry specifically as it is in marketing in general, namely that customers have become much more assertive and critical (for a whole multitude of reasons as well as being expressed in a whole multitude of ways that I could simply not fit into this post, but one important cause is that nowadays we have access to a wealth of free information and products, mainly via the internet). The new generation is expecting much more information simply because that's how things are now. If they disappoint themselves, then sure, that could be their own fault, but in the end it's the companies that suffer from it.

Marketing, like all human concepts, evolve over time. They're not set in stone like physics, they adapt and change to the evolution of the human race.

So Loki, you stated that you guys still have all of the art and code. Will stuff that's already done have to change, or will you keep moving along, just with pipe works?

Maybe? Depends on what we decide in that full review vs what we want to see the game become. If a truck is going down the wrong road, sometimes you have to back it up a bit to make the right turn. That doesn't mean "go back home and start again" either. ;)

Sad to hear about that. I guess it's not easy finding the right people that are able to carry your vision without deviating too much, or needing constant supervision.
Good luck! I'm really liking the concept behind it and I hope it'll turn out well!

Maybe? Depends on what we decide in that full review vs what we want to see the game become. If a truck is going down the wrong road, sometimes you have to back it up a bit to make the right turn. That doesn't mean "go back home and start again" either. ;)
You're doing the right thing lads when you dump the incompetent devs that are unable to do the required work in time, or at all. Take all the time you need, even if it'll take 5 years it's totally fine. In fact, it's not that long at all as long as you feed people information and don't go silent for a year or two. For example Dwarf Fortress is being coded for like what, 12 years already? The game just keeps on giving and fuels the hype very week when Tarn writes the devlog. So yeah do what you gonna do, best of luck to your team and to pipewoks dudes, quality check should be insanely high but i believe in you all.

Hmm, would have wish something was said more about Engine. Gave a weird "we're too good for you" vibe, "ditching the old and going for new" so it seems. Sounds a bit harsh and vague for a company you guys worked so long with.

Sucks for the guys who actually really enjoyed working with you guys, feelsbadman.

Edit: Yeah, no. Found out what Engine has actually done with the game, glad they got ditched.
What did Engine do?!

What did Engine do?!

Regardless of what Engine did, Re-Logic has started to replace Engine with Pipeworks due to Pipeworks being the better of the 2 + Pipeworks is currently rewriting console and mobile so if otherworld is on those platforms so it makes sense why Re-Logic would make that choice to replace Engine

Regardless of what Engine did, Re-Logic has started to replace Engine with Pipeworks due to Pipeworks being the better of the 2 + Pipeworks is currently rewriting console and mobile so if otherworld is on those platforms so it makes sense why Re-Logic would make that choice to replace Engine
I guesss???....

Loki: just to be clear, I think most of us fully understand that this was a rock/hard place for you guys.

I don't disagree with any of the choices you've made recently, and I think you're handling all this as well as you can.

It just sucks for us, even if it IS what's best for the IP in the long run. We should be fine after our initial frustration burns out.

In my opinion, Terraria is now as good as it can be.
With modding community, every kind of content is there and (maybe im wrong but) I dont see anything significant Relogic can bring into Terraria. Ive seen some new tables or whatever, but it isnt something, that needs to be in the game. Only thing I see that would be great in Terraria, is ingame modbrowser.

By that, I want to say, I wouldnt mind, if you stopped working on new Terraria content, and moved more of your working power to TOW. I Love T1, I want to love TOW.

In my opinion, Terraria is now as good as it can be.
With modding community, every kind of content is there and (maybe im wrong but) I dont see anything significant Relogic can bring into Terraria. Ive seen some new tables or whatever, but it isnt something, that needs to be in the game. Only thing I see that would be great in Terraria, is ingame modbrowser.

By that, I want to say, I wouldnt mind, if you stopped working on new Terraria content, and moved more of your working power to TOW. I Love T1, I want to love TOW.

...Don't forget there is Terraria 2 being worked on outside of TOW.

I don't think anybody noticed that this was just a subtle way of announcing T:OW for the Switch?
I may be wrong, but I never heard any news for Otherworld and the Switch beforehand.

I don't think anybody noticed that this was just a subtle way of announcing T:OW for the Switch?
I may be wrong, but I never heard any news for Otherworld and the Switch beforehand.
They haven't confirmed it for the switch though...

I wanna be really mad, but at the same time I know that when this gets released, it'll be so worth it that I'll prolly put in 5 hours of gametime a day hahaha.

The line in question from the OP is referencing the work that PW is also doing on the Terraria 1 versions on Console/Mobile/Switch. I will edit this to make it more clear, since some folks are getting tripped up by the wording. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom