Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man this is beyond frustrating. Ive been a fan of terraria for sooo long but this is ridiculous. This game was announced like 2 years ago... Then after like a year they came out and said hey yea we dont really like it were basically gonna scrap it and rebuild it from the ground up. Then after another year they come out and theyre like yea its still not working out too well its far from being done so were going to switch it to a different studio to develop. This has actually reached mojang level of slow production.

Man this is beyond frustrating. Ive been a fan of terraria for sooo long but this is ridiculous. This game was announced like 2 years ago... Then after like a year they came out and said hey yea we dont really like it were basically gonna scrap it and rebuild it from the ground up. Then after another year they come out and theyre like yea its still not working out too well its far from being done so were going to switch it to a different studio to develop. This has actually reached mojang level of slow production.
This game will be amazing, believe me. Re logic makes AMAZING games, and I have complete faith that this game will come out, and when it does come out, it will be awesome.

This game will be amazing, believe me. Re logic makes AMAZING games, and I have complete faith that this game will come out, and when it does come out, it will be awesome.
I know that. I know when it comes out im going to love it but its so frustrating. Its been so long and theyre basically saying they havent made any progress. Maybe not that extreme but they are saying its another huge setback. There were so many spoilers screen shots and stuff from back in 2015 where the game looked great and absolutely playable. Here we are 2 years later and who knows what progress, if any, has been made.

To be fair, Re-Logic only made one game so far, which, while indeed amazing, they are still improving after 5 years. This is their first new game as an established company, so they are in fact setting a standard both in quality of the products and efficiency of the development process (the latter of which at this point is undeniably 'not very', regardless of whose fault that is).

Quality over quantity is an admirable strategy (and to be frank, Re-Logic is in a rather rare, privileged and enviable position to be able to follow that strategy), but people are still very much in their right to point out that developments takes a long time because of it, and they are also in their right to be disappointed by it. You don't have to share their disappointment, but at the very least try to understand it. :)

No one is more disappointed in how long it has taken than we are - it's not like we are celebrating delays. :p

Beyond the loss of "hype train" inertia, those delays cost us directly as in game development, time is essentially money on both ends of the scale. So yeah, we don't enjoy them - but we do know that this is necessary if we all want the game you guys deserve here.

That said, we just aren't going to rush it out just to do it. Efficiency is quality/time. We are focused on the numerator here first. Of course this is not as efficient as we would like - but we needed to exhaust all avenues with our prior partner before making the jump we had to make this time. That is what the reveal last year was about... unfortunately, that didn't work out like we had hoped. So we did what we needed to do to correct it. Disappointing? Sure, to everyone - us included.

Just saying - it's not like we are not aware or sharing in the disappointment on the delays. As I noted in the OP, had we known it would have taken the circuitous path it has, we would have held off on revealing the game for a while longer than we did. However, the past is the past and here we are. All of our sights are set forward towards a fresh approach and fresh team that can and will build upon the progress to date in order to get Otherworld to where it needs to be.

(People keep saying "scrapping everything and starting over" - still not sure where that is coming from. Taking a hard look at everything =/= starting from scratch ;) )

Anyway, just some perspective I guess. Ymmv. :)

(People keep saying "scrapping everything and starting over" - still not sure where that is coming from. Taking a hard look at everything =/= starting from scratch ;) )
Reevaluating the entire project as a whole typically goes hand in hand with changing most or at least a good portion of the work thus far. Its not scrapping the whole thing but its close.

Ahoy da mates.

I am new to this community, but this announcement shows me a nice transparency at the company.
I like it ~:naughty:

:D;(, Thank the lord such a good game doesn't go waste. Keep on working, may nothing goes wrong, oh one more thing. Try relax here and there, we do not want anyone be passing out in the office.

Terraria's become something special over the many years we were graced with its appearance. It's seen many struggles and overcome seemingly impossible obsticles standing tall and mighty never giving in to provide only the best. Terraria is not just a game, it's a way of life. It will never die and be with us always.
I'm proud to have been a member of the best community there is and ever will be.
~:cry: a toast to the community and the development team. Here's to many many more years. Thank you

Ahh...Not exactly the news that I hoped to get, but regardless, it's news about the current state of the game.
And I'm really glad to hear that you're showing at least some news, and I can understand it enough when things won't work the way it's implemented.
It's much better that you're making the needed changes before releasing it. I do have played pre-beta games where the devs have completely overhauled it. causing a lot of frustration on the progress. And thus I'm really glad that you guys are putting the effort in it to release it as a quality product. :D

But yeah, truth to be told, I was also hoping I could play the game in the summer for 2 whole years. Hearing that it'll likely not pass this year either does sound disappointing. But I still hold on the hopes for Terraria: Otherworld. Keep it up Re-Logic!

That said, knowing that I don't have to wait for this, I could start new projects in the meantime.

Thank you so much. I remember waiting for news of some sort about this game and we finally know why things didn't move as fast. I'm really glad you guys aren't sacrificing quality for a quick buck. And finally thank you for wanting to make this a quiality experience for the user.

I can't wait to see all the dynamics that ToW will possess! I'm sure that the whole team will make ToW a work of art and a bigger hit than Terraria was! I really can't wait and i'm super excited! Thank you for all you're doing and all you've done already.

I am so insanely excited to be able to share this news and what it means for the future of ToW. Thank you all for your continued support and patience. It takes time to make something great and we refuse to let ToW be anything but that! <3

So Cenx, after the unfortunate removal of engine soft-ware, most of the ToW progress that had been made was . . . set back. So, How do you think Pipeworks will fare against the progress of engine soft-ware?

Edit: Also, How do you think the new budget of 4.8 million dollars will effect the gameplay of ToW?

It's unfortunate that development has been so rocky, but given that unfortunate reality, I agree with your choice. Whether I look at such a dilemma as a consumer or a creator, I'd choose a good product later over a bad product now. After all, the world already has plenty of video games, it's good games we need more of. So by all means, don't release it until it's good and ready, we'll be ready whenever that time comes.

As long as you're totally reevaluating things though, any possibility of a major graphical overhaul? To be clear, the overall art direction is great, I'm all for the colorful cheerful look, and I have no problem in the least with the 2D pixel art look, in fact I prefer 2D visuals for 2D gameplay. But the one thing I was always a bit disappointed by was the resolution of the assets in the preview shots - it didn't really look like tiles/characters/etc were all that much bigger than in Terraria. Or, more accurately, it didn't look like they were much higher resolution internally, before being scaled up to giant "pixels" made of multiple actual physical monitor pixels at final display size. No matter what you play games on these days, be it a tv, desktop, laptop, or handheld device, the new versions of everything are running at higher display resolutions than were standard when Terraria first released, so I would really hope that Terraria's successor would up the base resolution of everything to match, and thus fix my only significant complaint with Terraria's graphics. Despite the excellent amount of visually unique equipment available at this point, the sprite resolutions in Terraria are so low that they really cut into the practical difference between one outfit and another, especially armors. This has always impacted my ultimate enjoyment of playing character dress-up, which is a vital part of any game that allows you to do so. Plus, it'd just be generally nicer looking if more detail were fitted into any given assets instead of seeing so many giant upscaled pixels wasting display space. I don't want realism at all, but things can still be stylized and cute while having enough resolution to actually include mouths on player sprite faces. There have been a few times I've thought about personally modding in my ideal outfit, but I always decided not to because it could never look truly good at such low resolution.

Anyway, I figure this is probably wishful thinking at this point, my assumption is that the graphical assets themselves are the one part you're most likely to keep among all the work done so far. (And giant upscaled pixels aside, the few shots we've seen do look quite nice.) Rather, it's overall game design that you really gotta rethink at this point and the graphical assets completed so far can pretty much be used either way. But on the off chance the entire visual presentation is something you're considering redoing, it'd be great if you upped the base resolution further while you're at it. If that happened, I'd be even more eagerly awaiting Otherworld than I am now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom