Terraria: Otherworld Changing of the Guard: An Update from Otherworld

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to come browse the forums and see if there's any type of news among the other threads. Good to see the devs still haven't made any progress and still have nothing worthwhile to tell us.

I'm going to be straightforward here. The last time I was this disappointed was post-opening cutscene for Sonic '06.

I decided to come browse the forums and see if there's any type of news among the other threads. Good to see the devs still haven't made any progress and still have nothing worthwhile to tell us.

I'm going to be straightforward here. The last time I was this disappointed was post-opening cutscene for Sonic '06.
On the contrary, the devs made a LOT of progress. That progress just turned out to not be fun, so they threw it away and started over. Overwatch came out of a similar situation.

On the contrary, the devs made a LOT of progress. That progress just turned out to not be fun, so they threw it away and started over. Overwatch came out of a similar situation.
We're currently on the 3rd start of Otherworld. At this point I'd expect them to at least have something hobbled together from recycled assets from previous builds, made concepts for several NPCs and enemies, some weapons, environments and possibly improved upon the leveling system and quest system they proudly presented us nearly 2 years ago.

"Something hobbled together" doesn't sound like the best start for a game. Besides, we don't know what they have internally. There's no point in showing us anything further until they have a roadmap for what that thing is going to be. Making a good roadmap takes time, and we're currently stuck in the middle of that process.

This is why media and entertainment companies shouldn't leak anything about a product's existence until about 3-6 months before it's release. Too much insider information is ruining our ability to actually enjoy any of it.

I'm really just waiting for them to say that it'll be released like 2018/19. Won't be before that anyway. They should make like a subscription bot that announces any new spoilers/info on T:OW so people don't stop by this forum once a week in hope that something's happened, like I do right now.

I'm really just waiting for them to say that it'll be released like 2018/19. Won't be before that anyway. They should make like a subscription bot that announces any new spoilers/info on T:OW so people don't stop by this forum once a week in hope that something's happened, like I do right now.

Same here about once every week or two just to see hoping against all hope. This was one of the games that I was arguably the most excited about.

Sadly almost 2 years later I have zero expectations. Which in the long run is really going to work out for them. Because I won't have any preconceived notions or expectations. And I can go into it fresh like I did with Terraria. Nothing to live up to because they done burned down that Forest. Lol.

Ya forgot to Flag your Sarcasm with one of these: > :p < or equivalent. `;)

Still, i'm not getting the Barkeep to show up in my new game after defeating EoC so i'm getting worried I missed out on the Turret Fun. Honestly, there is a distinct shortage of Turret Options in Terraria... ToW could address this imho.
we will never know they will show up, probably they will I mean that portal won't close because we did have crossover with DD2 anyway, it doesn't mean they won't come back and do it again. All we will know they help T:OW to make defs tower in that game, so possible chance we will meet the heroes and DD2 EG.

Heroes of the Storm too. Long ago the Devs experimented with "Artifacts" as a System Mechanic for the game but it just didn't work out & got scrapped. HotS still eventually became an Epic Game. ToW can too. :dryadgrin:

And 2 months is such a small amount of time. You don't really expect to hear from the developers that often do you?

If you review the Otherworld updates posted back when development was trucking along, there were upwards of five updates in a single month and I don't think that pace bothered anybody. But more to my point, if they could post good news multiple times a month when there was good news, it's just as fair to update us with some regularity when things aren't so good. Customer relations should be a two-way street, but all too often the traffic of information is only flowing along the good news lane. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but it bothers me.

Ok. I think it's about time to speak up again.

This whole situation shows rather poor management and planning on the part of relogic. The fact is that relogic should have never contracted an outside studio to develop T:OW and they should have just done it all themselves. Now because of that they have lost plenty of time, money, and trust from it's customers. Now, this isn't the first time I have said this and the response I got was "Well, if just our team worked on it then there wouldn't be anymore updates to Terraria". Who freakin cares? You guys made you butt loads of money off of Terraria already. The only reason to keep providing updates to Terraria is to show that you are good people... but all of that gets thrown out the window when there is such a poor mismanagement like this. It's an absolute disaster. You guys were at one point hoping to have T:OW released before the end of 2015 and even stated that as your goal, but also openly stated that there is no promises and it will not come out until it's complete. I get that. But now a year and a half later, and having to scrap one studio because they sucked and a bunch of annoyed customers, this all just seems like one huge joke and I have absolutely no faith in relogic or even that T:OW will even be a good game at this point.

What relogic should have done and just stayed with doing everything in-house. You know the age old saying "If you want something done right then do it yourself". I am confident to say that if relogic didn't screw around with other studios and continuing to update the original Terraria then we likely would have had T:OW already. So much WASTED time.

Someone with more experience needs to takeover management of relogic to keep them from making anymore ridiculous mistakes.

I'm not saying that the updates to Terraria are a bad thing in and of themselves, but given the choice, (and assuming it turned out good,) I'd rather have bought a fresh, new Otherworld by now rather than having a trickle of free updates to creaky ol' Terraria. I had a good, no GREAT time with Terraria, but at this point, truly improving it would take more than just adding new furniture every six months, that sort of stuff is nearly irrelevant to what I actually want. It needs a fresh sequel with big changes, which is why I've wanted Otherworld so much. And since Terraria did so well, I would have thought that making a sequel with an actual budget behind it and better production from step one would have gone a lot smoother. But somehow, more experience and more money had the opposite of the expected results... In any case, I don't know enough about how things are at Re-Logic to say if doing it in-house would have been better or worse, or exactly what went wrong to get us to this point, I don't share your certainty in that regard. I just know that Terraria updates are a poor replacement for having a real sequel/follow-up instead. At best, they're better than nothing at all.

With that said, my personal theory is that we're only still getting these updates at all is because Otherworld is soooo behind. I bet that had it gone as planned and released in 2015, that would have pretty much been it for original Terraria. And had Otherworld been merely less late, and released in 2016, then that would have marked the end of Terraria updates. And if I want to be really cynical, I'd guess that Re-Logic isn't still updating original Terraria to this day because they're good people, but merely to keep customer interest on life support until they finally have a new game to sell us. (And at this point I wouldn't be shocked if that's the mythical, whispered-of Terraria 2 instead.) Either way, I know I'm repeating myself, but this consumer would rather see all development resources devoted to eventually getting us an entirely new game sooner, at the cost of additional Terraria updates now.

That theory is incorrect and I will leave it at that.

The two things are wholly unconnected and always have been. :)

I have to say that for myself, seeing the admins online on this site sometimes is enough, because then I'm assured that they still care enough for their games to keep the *community* "alive". Even if not informative, a comment from one of the devs or just an admin in the Forum makes me pretty happy and satifies me, even if that sounds weird.

while developer getting prep time, but a virus attack their computer. Don't worry dev team unlesh the protector S.H.E.I.L.D data programing or known as anti-virus lets take look inside the data...

46788581.jpg

Have you ever heard of Breath of the Wild? That game was announced in 2014, I believe. It only just got released in March. And you know what? It was called one of the greatest games of all time. Maybe you should just be more patient and let the developers do what they need to do.

I'm going to be straightforward here. You really have no right to tell these wonderful people how they have done nothing over a course of two(?) years, they obviously have been working hard to make this game the best it can be.

Last edited:
That theory is incorrect and I will leave it at that.

The two things are wholly unconnected and always have been. :)

Assuming this is a response to my preceding post, the response is much appreciated. Even if it's just to tell me I'm wrong, and communicating as little information as possible in the process, any official response is better than absolute radio silence.

Incidentally, I can only assume you're in a difficult spot, being expected to keep us forum malcontents appeased without being able to relay any actual information in the process. It's a battle fought with communication and they won't give you any ammo. Well, here's hoping that whatever the exact reason behind the absolute update embargo is, (I still would think even in a situation like this some sort of updates would be possible,) it ends sooner than later.

As the time being, developer open their email check their mail, then accidently unlesh the virus again accept its a troll virus

maxresdefault.jpg

As we say "curse you virus infecting our dev's team computer"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom