Character Creation UI Redux Mod?

Yvori

Terrarian
Hi, so I'm continually amazed that I don't find anything like this (except one mod which is outdated, buggy, and seemingly dead, adds other unneccesary features, and has UI scaling issues) but how hard would it be to make a mod that makes the Character Creation UI better? There are a few ways I want to improve it... I installed Visual Studio, got a modding instance of Terraria set up to work with Visual Studio through trial and error and outdated tutorials, got a skeleton for said mod manually made up due to the instance not being stored in the expected place... Only to then realize I was in way over my head and had no idea where to even start, since I'd never made mods with tModLoader before.

So... Consider this a mod request of sorts, if it's not hard to pull off. I wanted to try myself, but editing vanilla content seems... confusing, and I'd need to start with several much less ambitious things first.
Features this mod would (ideally) have, in order of percieved importance:
-Allowing all hairstyles to be selected during character creation, rather than needing to wait until you have the stylist if you want something other than the base 51.
-Showing RGB/HSV and/or hex values of colors.
-Allowing input of RGB/HSV and/or hex values of colors so you don't need to fiddle with the sliders to get the color you want.
-Changing the hair selection into a grid like the Stylist rather than needing to click through a hundred or more numbered options individually.
-A toggle that shows your character walking or standing, so you can see the animated hairs in action.

Honestly, any of these alone would be a massive improvement over what we have in vanilla.
Is there any reason there haven't been more mods like this? Is it really difficult to pull off editing that UI or something?

I wanted to try myself, but editing vanilla content seems... confusing, and I'd need to start with several much less ambitious things first.
Yeah, this might be a bit too complicated for a first mod. :) It's not impossible though.

Is there any reason there haven't been more mods like this? Is it really difficult to pull off editing that UI or something?
I suppose it's probably because creating UI in terraria is a bit of a pain. It has a pretty clunky "homebrew" UI framework. Older versions didn't even have that. Most parts of the main menu still use the legacy style UI, which is especially hard to mess with, since the whole thing is hard coded. tModLoader doesn't help you much either.

I suppose it's probably because creating UI in terraria is a bit of a pain. It has a pretty clunky "homebrew" UI framework. Older versions didn't even have that. Most parts of the main menu still use the legacy style UI, which is especially hard to mess with, since the whole thing is hard coded. tModLoader doesn't help you much either.
Ohhh...
Yeah, okay, that explains it a lot.
In that case, I think I'll just live without it until whatever improvements they'll probably make in Journey's End >.>

Back
Top Bottom