Character files are empty

Eksia

Terrarian
First post here so please bare with me:

Terraria version: 1.4.5
Mouse and keyboard

Sorry if i forgot any details but hopefully thats enough to asses the situation.

Not two hours ago i was at my parents house helping them do some work, and my friend at my house logged onto my character to open up our multiplayer world. He logged off and saved and exited like i normally would and he went to work. Literally 40 minutes later i tried to log on and my character is gone. The character files were empty. I checked the trash bin as ive read to do online, and low and behold theres my character. Altho the issue being even if i restore the files my character is still gone. Except the funny thing is when i open terraria theres a fresh character, 100 health 20 mana with no name, and it wont let me click play on it. But its there and i never made him, i only had one character. I read somewhere that occasionally the game will save your character in the trash bin? idk. went on steam and it looked like when i went in properties on terraria the cloud back up was on, which i didnt know. Anyway i put 45 hours on that character in the last 4-5 days, lots of nostalgia since i havent played in years so have been non stop playing, and this one really feels like a kidney punch, am like on the edge of just not even creating a new character......Any help would be much appreciated, altho i believe everything i saw online said there just wasnt a fix. which boggles my mind how this has been happening to people since like 2015 and theres no fix. Please god help me i do not want to start over.

Also, side note, the map is still there as i created a new character just to check.
And also sorry for spelling and grammar, am about to head to work and am in a hurry.
Please let me know if there is any more information which may be necessary to assess the problem.

Please tell me someone knows of something i can do :(

Characters/maps seem to get corrupted sometimes if you don't shut down the game properly. Just in case: You(r friend) should exit through the options if you aren't already; don't press Alt+F4.
Having your PC go on standby while the game is running is also a bad idea. If you (or your PC through standby) force a game shutdown while it's saving, bad things happen. Properly shut the game down when not playing.

Anyway, that doesn't exactly explain why backup characters and worlds often don't seem to load either. In my opinion the devs should be looking into these corruption issues and backup failures, if they aren't already, since they seem to happen way too often.

Can't really help you other than to advice you to create a new character and use an inventory editor to give back your items.
At least your map is still intact, since broken maps is where the most hurt lies. And from now on: make manual backups.

Characters/maps seem to get corrupted sometimes if you don't shut down the game properly. Just in case: You(r friend) should exit through the options if you aren't already; don't press Alt+F4.
Having your PC go on standby while the game is running is also a bad idea. If you (or your PC through standby) force a game shutdown while it's saving, bad things happen. Properly shut the game down when not playing.

Anyway, that doesn't exactly explain why backup characters and worlds often don't seem to load either. In my opinion the devs should be looking into these corruption issues and backup failures, if they aren't already, since they seem to happen way too often.

Can't really help you other than to advice you to create a new character and use an inventory editor to give back your items.
At least your map is still intact, since broken maps is where the most hurt lies. And from now on: make manual backups.

100% will be constantly making sure i have a backup. Ive tried getting more details from him on how he shut the game down, ive always saved and exited from the home screen. i turned off the cloud sync as i believe thats a little grey area where some issues arise for some users. I havent thought about inventory editors as ive never modded the game, but honestly that may be the only way i go back at it. Im gonna have to get down to how exactly he closed. but at the end of the day cant be mad at him i suppose, i did let him open the map sadly. thankfully still have the map, you are right that one wouldve hurt way worse. Is there a specific inventory editor i should use? or will a simple google search find me what i need?

also thanks so much for a quick response. Have spent the last thirty minutes trying literally anything i can think of to make the files work and nothing

Back
Top Bottom