tModLoader Chat Source - Shows the source of messages in the chat

direwolf420

Terrarian
icon.png
Chat Source
icon.png

Download via Mod Browser ingame! Available on both 1.3 and 1.4 tModLoader!
Steam Workshop page: Workshop

For those who need to know which mod writes stuff to the chat!

situation.png

Shows the source of messages in the chat. Clientside, toggleable via config.

Example:

fixed.png

Before:

Code:
"Your world has been blessed with Cobalt!"
"Player got 10 tier 1 Reversivity coins and now has 70 in total."

After:
Code:
"Your world has been blessed with Cobalt!"
"[AlchemistNPC] Player got 10 tier 1 Reversivity coins and now has 70 in total."

Notes
- Some stuff like ore spawn announcements in multiplayer will show no mod associated because those messages are serversided
- "[Terraria]" prefix for vanilla messages is by default disabled
- Toggle "Display Name" and "Internal Name" of a mod via config

Localization:
If you want to add support for different languages, you are welcome to contribute localizations here: Github
List of localization contributors:
* Russian: GodBybrid

Source code: Github

Last edited:
Very useful QOL thing but is there or have you considered implementing a way to modify the prefixes yourself on a mod by mod basis? Some mods have pretty long and obnoxious names that take up half the screen.

It only shows the "internal" name of the mod aka [CalamityMod], not [Calamity Mod (No Calamity Music)]. I will add a setting or something else that will show the "display" name of the mod later today, as some mods have very mismatched internal vs display names.

Edit:
New Update added a chat command:
To view the display name of a mod you don't know, type in chat for example "/CSmodname RecipeBrowser"

Edit #2 3 years later:
Apparently that feature doesn't exist anymore for whatever reason?

Last edited:
That's actually pretty amazing! I am definitely adding this to every play-through I have. It reminds me of that "What mod is this from?" mod, which is also incredibly useful.

Thank you for this! <3 My full endorsements, and a metaphorical box of cookies in your mailbox.

Back
Top Bottom