"Cheat Resistant" Player Choice Menu and Item Dropper used in my map.

Freedbot

Terrarian
Brutal Skyblock Wiring Showcase.png

Brutal Skyblock Drop Ceiling.png

Alright, where do I start? It should be obvious this isn't meant to be a tutorial. This is overly crowded and convoluted to the point where it will probably trigger the wiring experts here. That's just how I always end up making my wiring. This is just a practical example of wiring used in a challenge map. For these pictures I temporarily added more ultrabright torches for lighting and emptied the other modes' item frames to reduce spoilers. :p Everything I'm using in here is covered by DRKV's great post of useful logic circuits and Kaios's youtube projects.

The Premise: In an unrestricted custom map, it's ideal if the player can't see, cheat, or break what's "under the hood". There are ~42 blocks of margin outside any playable edge of a Terraria map. The walled off wiring here is placed above the top border. The "choice" wiring that extends into the map is designed to only accept 1 signal for the initial choice and have a 1-way output to the explosives. The titanium ore blocks type IV rockets and sticky dynamite from harming anything important. The brick walls are simply to prevent spawns from loitering in the wiring.

The Choice Circuit: Surprisingly simple to implement. The choices each get a different wire color. These lead to faulty gates that are tied together to reject any future inputs. Each color outputs to the 2 red wired explosives of the NOT chosen islands through one-way diodes. The output wires also actuate the blocks to drop the chosen mode's loot. The announcement box that all choices are wired to is an anti-cheat message set to trigger every other pulse. It should only be triggered by naughty players who place new pressure plates or switches.

Item Drop Frames: This was the part inspired by Kaios. It was pretty tricky and I had to resort to cheating a bit. I wanted to make sure the player reliably got all the correct items, but none of the item frames. I know of only 2 ways to differentiate items for filtering. Size and rarity. Anything that isn't white rarity is easy, just drop it through lava. As for white items, you have to pray it's a different size than an item frame. The antlion mandibles are smaller than item frames, so they slide through the bubble blocks just under the lava while the item frames burn. Here's the annoying bit. The fishing pole and hellforge are both white items of similar size to item frames. The only answer I could come up with was to use TEdit to hack the items with useless accessory modifiers they shouldn't have to raise the rarity. The pole is "lucky" and the hellforge is so very "angry".

The Binary "Calendar": I took the time to learn how to read time in binary and exactly how a binary counter works all so I could pointlessly mess with the player via chat. The counter goes up to 1023 days. The trigger is just a daylight sensor of course. The right announcement box fires at 28 days, the left one at 1 year.

Shameless Advertisement: My map is Called Brutal Skyblock. If you're interested read the description, hit me up on my Discord, and give it a try. Steam workshop only has Classic difficulty. See Curseforge for every difficulty.
https://www.curseforge.com/terraria/maps/brutal-skyblock
Steam Workshop::Brutal Skyblock - Classic 1.2

Anyway, I know I didn't cover all of it, so feel free to ask questions and hopefully the Terraria Forums will properly email me so I can respond. I would also gratefully welcome someone dragging me over the coals and showing me how to improve my amateur work and add cool new features.

P.S. Anyone wanting to be able to quickly and easily doodle on a picture like this, I'm using Adobe Illustrator. It's like a dumbed down Photoshop for simple diagrams.

Edit: turns out the honey physics happen to quickly. If you use the delayed intro message logic above, place the honey 3 blocks above the sensor instead of the 2 pictured above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom