tModLoader Chen's Gradius Mod

blancfaye7

Official Terrarian
Hello. I decided to share my mod here in the forums. I'm not very good at documenting, but it will improve as time passes. Without further ado...

FKqzjlB.png

Mod Version: 1.2.11
tModLoader: 0.11.8.5
The mod will be ported to tModLoader 1.4! Stay tuned!

I have always been a fan of the classic side-scrollers, so I made a mod related to it. On top of that, I want to learn C# as well.
This mod's content will focus in implementing features that came from classic side-scrollers such as Gradius, R-Type and more.
The mod will also focus to be playable on multiplayer, so please file in a bug if there is a desync issue that is detected.

This mod is on the Mod Browser, so download it from there.
If the Mod Browser is down, then you can refer to this link to download the latest release: Gradius Mod Releases

Chen's Gradius Mod Wiki is a place where you can find detailed information about the added features the mod provides.

Click the Spoiler below for a summary anyway if you're not eager to look at the wiki. The wiki is always updated, though!

Contents
  1. Options/Multiples
    • These are powerful drones in the Gradius series, and Gradius is well-known for this feature.
    • Deploy one, and the Option drone will copy some of your projectiles.
    • It is an accessory in the game, for now.
    • The accessories can be combined.
    • yGLYa6H.gif

It follows your movement pathing!
    • 7Bvm7s4.gif

It copies your projectiles!
  2. Force
    • This is yet another drone from the R-Type series.
    • It has its own set of attacks, and you can control it like in the original game.
    • Its power is based from the held weapon's stats.
    • Set a keybind in Force Action to control it.
    • For now, it is an accessory to make it accessible.
  3. Freeze Options
    • An upgrade from the normal Options, and it is a new feature that came with Gradius V.
    • Functions the same as the normal one, except it has an added action.
    • Hold The Option Action hotkey, and these options will behave differently.
    • Allow your options to be more controllable.
    • W9Tfm7S.gif

While hotkey is held down, their positions are paused even if you're moving!
  4. Rotate Options
    • Also an upgrade from normal Options, and it is a feature in Gradius III.
    • Implementation is inspired from Gradius V.
    • Hold The Option Action hotkey, and these options will revolve around the owner.
    • Switchable rotation directions by toggling the hotkey again.
    • x6FMwgI.gif

Hold hotkey to let them revolve around you! Rotation direction can be toggled by pressing the hotkey again.
  5. Needle Force
    • Functions the same as the Standard Force, except with different attack pattern.
    • Attach and detach just like the Standard Force,
    • This Force sprays a lot of bullets when detached.
  6. Option Seed
    • This type of Option can be seen in Salamander 2.
    • They are smaller and inferior versions of the regular Options.
    • They closely rotate around the player, and attack independently.
    • Their attacks are based on the ammos found in the Ammo slots.
    • They can only copy Bullets and Arrows.
    • They can be upgraded to regular options!
    • VjYLN3C.gif

They have weaker firepower, but they behave differently.
  7. Charge Multiples
    • This type of Options are featured in Salamander 2.
    • It normally functions the same as the regular Option.
    • Hold the Option Action Key to have the Multiples charge energy.
    • Release the key for a devastating special attack!
    • The longer the Multiples charge energy, the longer the duration of the special attack.
    • Be warned that the Multiples will be lost from your inventory.
    • They can later be retrieved again after the special attack.
    • 0zDHPUf.gif

They can unleash a power special attack, but be advised that the accessory will be left on the world. Retrieve it if possible!
  8. Aim Options
    • Since Direction Options from Gradius V are not really applicable in Terraria, Aim Options are based from them.
    • It functions normally as the Standard Options, but with added functionality.
    • Hold down the Option Action Key to allow the Options to shoot towards the Mouse Cursor!
    • WwPoi97.gif
  9. Search Options
    • Featured in Otomedius, the Search Options in this mod are slightly modified.
    • They can function as regular Options, but they have an advanced feature.
    • Hold down the Option Action Key to allow the Search Options to seek and pursue hostiles!
    • During their special ability, they produce less projectiles.
    • AXClUc8.gif
  10. Recurve Options
    • Derived from Spacing Options along with its functionalities.
    • Their flight path behavior is different from standard Options.
    • They stay fixed on their positions relative to the cursor direction from the player.
    • Hold down the Option Action Key to adjust the Options' distances from one another!
    • FZjsAAB.gif
  11. Spread Options
    • Customized Options, inspired from Nemesis Online's 8-Way.
    • Functions the same way as the regular Options, but has an added feature.
    • Hold down the Option Action Key to duplicate a projectile 8 times, tarvelling towards the cardinal directions!
    • Damage of the duplicated projectiles in this mode are lowered.
    • Not all projectiles are duplicated: only every 4th projectile produced are duplicated.
    • HrW3egz.gif
  12. Turret Options
    • Unique option type to this mod, inspired from Freeze Options and Terraria's Sentries.
    • Hold the Option Action hotkey, and these options will stay where they are.
    • 0GVkcNq.gif

Hold hotkey to make them stay in place!

New Enemies
  1. Moai
    • These eastern head statues are recurring enemies within the Gradius series.
    • Their weakness is the mouth.
    • When their mouth is open, attack it! Be careful that they release Moai Bubbles as they open their mouths.
    • Any projectiles can damage Moai Bubbles, but be warned that swung melee weapons cannot destroy the bubbles.
    • They will only take damage if their mouth is open, and when you're in front of it.
    • If the attack is a projectile, the projectile must be traveling towards them.
    • They spawn in the desert and the temple.
  2. Garun
    • For reference: Garun
    • These Bacterion ships are known to travel fast, and will fire bullets towards you when you're behind them.
    • They are famous for their sine wave movement pattern.
    • They will spawn anywhere in the surface and space.
  3. Zalk
    • For reference: Fan
    • These Bacterion vessels fly in groups in a series.
    • They are called Zalk in Gradius II, but their implemented pattern is based from the first Gradius game.
    • Destroy them quickly before they spray bullets when they start intercepting your position.
  4. Grazia
    • For reference: Dee-01
    • These are Bacterion turrets stationed on the ground.
    • They are common in the Gradius series.
    • They can be deployed on world floor or ceiling.
    • They will spawn anywhere near the surface and underground.
  5. Big Core Custom
    • Famous recurring boss from the whole series of Gradius.
    • They are known for the 4 front laser cannons shooting towards their opponent.
    • They are also known for their simple vertical movement.
    • It has a Custom on its name due to it still being an incomplete implementation.
    • It will spawn by a random chance in Space after Golem is defeated.
  6. Sagna
    • For reference: Jumper
    • They are known for their notorious bullet spread pattern.
    • They have an upside-down version, in which they have reversed gravity.
    • They can be found in the first Gradius game, but the behavior is inspired from Gradius III.
    • It will spawn by a random chance in surface and underground caverns.
    • R6hNM1d.gif
  7. Ducker
    • For reference: Ducker
    • Famous enemies ever since the ever first Gradius Game up to the latest ones.
    • They are bipedal ground units which pursues intruders.
    • Their implementation in this mod is a hybrid of Gradius I, III and V.
    • Like Sagna and Grazia, they have an upside-down version.
    • They have the same spawn parameters as Sagna.
    • x6et8Zl.gif
  8. Dagoom & Rush
    • For reference: Hatches, Rush
    • Pretty common enemies from the Gradius series, but in different names and variations.
    • Dagoom are hatches or hangars for Bacterion fighters.
    • Rush is one such fighter that can be deployed from it.
    • Dagoom has an upside down version of itself.
    • Dagoom spawns anywhere, and Rush only spawns from Dagoom.
    • xMaQ2eA.gif

These enemies will only spawn in Hard mode. They will also have their stats scale accordingly when Plantera is defeated and when Moon Lord is defeated.

They also have their own banners.
eMljrLn.png

All enemies in this mod also display a behavior of retaliation as commonly seen in the Gradius series if the world is in Expert mode.
Retaliation behavior is an enemy trait where the enemy shoots hostile bullets upon taking damage. Currently, there are three kinds of behaviors implemented: Spray, Spread and Explode.
Spray pattern is a single inaccurate bullet spawned towards the player. They are often faster than the normal attacks of the enemies.
Spread pattern is a group of bullets fired in a single shot. All of the bullets have the same speed, only their directions differ.
Explode pattern is a group of bullets fired in all directions in a single shot. There is room for evasion here compared to Spread pattern, and are often slower.

Added Music with music box
  1. The Position Light (Gradius ReBirth version, originally from Nemesis 3)
  2. Departure For Space (Gradius III From Myth to Legend version)
  3. Tabidachi (Gradius II Gofer no Yabou Version)
  4. Intermezzo (Gradius V)
  5. Starfield (Salamander Arcade version)
  6. Sensation (Salamander 2)
  7. Aircraft Carrier (Gradius Slot version)

New Weapons
  1. Uncanny Core Remote Rod
    • Summons a mini Covered Core as a sentry to fight for you!
    • They do contact damage, as well as release missiles.
    • It will drop from Big Core Custom.
    • cFnoaxj.gif
  2. Zelos Influence
    • A yoyo that spawns friendly Zalks on hit!
    • Friendly Zalks revolve around the yoyo temporarily.
    • They also deal contact damage and has a limit on how much they can deal before being destroyed.
    • c53IZRb.gif
      z9liOZH.gif
  3. DES Advanced Cannon
    • A cute Death Mini becomes a weapon!
    • Left click to fire laser.
    • Right click to fire missiles.
    • Iiqgh.gif
  4. Bacterian Frigate
    • Weaponize a spacecraft carrier!
    • Consume rockets to deploy allied Garuns to shoot down enemies!
    • They also deal a huge chunk of contact damage.
    • Iiqex.gif

This mod now has Mod Configurations so you may adjust some aspects of the mod however you see fit! Below is a list of what you can change.
  • Bacterion Contact Damage to NPCs - Adjust the damage done to town NPCs when Bacterion enemies make contact with them.
  • Bacterion Bullet Damage to NPCs - Adjust the damage done to town NPCs when Bacterion bullets hit them.
  • Bacterion Spawn Rate - Adjust the rate at how much the Bacterion enemies spawn in the world.
  • Option Projectiles Duplication Limit - Adjust the buffer limit of how much projectile are being duplicated.
  • Option Damage Multiplier - Adjust how much damage each Option can deal.
  • Bacterion General Contact Damage - Adjust how much damage can the enemies deal.
  • Bacterion General Bullet Damage - Adjust how much damage Bacterion Bullets can deal.
  • Bacterion General Health - Adjust enemy health.
  • Bacterion General Armor - Adjust enemy armor.
  • Bacterion Damage Reduction - Adjust damage reduction of large Bacterion enemies.
  • Post Plantera Buff Multiplier - Adjust the buff multiplier to Bacterion enemies when Plantera is defeated.
  • Post Moon Lord Buff Multiplier - Adjust the buff multiplier to Bacterion enemies when Moon Lord is defeated.
For more information, visit this page.

The content is moved because it's hard to maintain a Wiki and a main post! However, the latest version change will still be here.
Click here for the full changelog.

- Fix an exception where the smart targeting did not have safe checks.
- Fix an exception where orphaned Allied Zalks would still look for a null mother.

- Implement Bacterian Frigate, a ranged weapon that deploys allied Garun units to destroy enemies by shooting at them.
- Add Bacterion Frigate to Big Core Custom's loot table.
- Have Zelos Influence only use universal modifiers as a Yoyo.
- Improve the homing behavior capabilities of projectiles from Chen's Gradius Mod.
- Adjust all the hitboxes of projectiles, NPCs and items so that they are visually better and more accurate to what the graphics display on screen.
- Decrease the number of sprites Big Core Custom has as there were issues presented by this
- Big Core Custom will now only have the core opening animation.
- Add Ban Option Rule to the laser of DES Advanced Cannon as it does not benefit from multiple lasers.
- Improve implementation of DES Advanced Cannon missiles so that Options are able to duplicate them properly.
- Improve Options implementation so that the AI array is also carried over to the duplicates.

- Implement DES Advanced Cannon, a magic weapon inspired by Death MKII.
- Add the new weapon to Big Core Custom Loot Table.

- Integrate properly with Boss Checklist so that Big Core Custom data is properly displayed.
- Actually add Zelos Influence into the loot table of Big Core Custom.

- Implement a cooldown system for Zelos Influence to control its power as well as lag management.

- Implement Zelos Influence, a yoyo that spawns friendly Zalks.
- Decreased Big Core Custom money rewards.

- Improve Enemy AI in multiplayer. It does cost more data though, in exchange.
- Implement Uncanny Core Remote Rod which summons a Mini Covered Core sentry.
- Refactor some of the heavy-implementation in computing directions and distances.

The content is moved because it's hard to maintain a Wiki and a main post!
Click on this link to see the full details on how to make your projectiles work with the Options. You can also control other mod's behavior if you wish. It is all up to you!

Contact Us
If you encounter any bugs or you have suggestions, you can reach us in several ways.
Support Us
You can support this mod by donating. I may also reward donators with special features, but that depends. We can discuss that.

Last edited:
I NEVER expected a Gradius mod, of all things. Eager to test it this weekend.
BTW, is only Gradius content going to make it, or is there a chance of Parodius stuff to enter as well?

Mod is updated to 0.5.2
Just a sprites update and a bug fix.

------

I NEVER expected a Gradius mod, of all things. Eager to test it this weekend.
BTW, is only Gradius content going to make it, or is there a chance of Parodius stuff to enter as well?

Parodius is also acceptable. I myself couldn't hold myself back in adding R-Type content.

Mod is updated to 0.5.3

- Allow option accessories to be combined
- Fix Needle Bydo recipe to include Bydo Embryo
- Buff Force shots to be more effective

I don't know if you accept suggestions, but just in case, how about stationary moai-type enemies (using the burrowing antlion AI) that spawn rarely in the sand and attack with ripple shots instead of sand?

I don't know if you accept suggestions, but just in case, how about stationary moai-type enemies (using the burrowing antlion AI) that spawn rarely in the sand and attack with ripple shots instead of sand?

This is a great suggestion. I will work on it next. This might open up to an opportunity to implement Big Core as a boss.

----

Last edited:
Mod updated to 0.6.1

The Moai enemy now has vulnerability state to make them easier to deal with.
Links are also fixed to lead to this thread instead of discord invite links.

The next update might improve a little bit on the implementation of this enemy. Stay tuned.

Mod updated to 0.6.2

- Vastly improve Moai behavior
- Moai now displays HP Bar and damage number indicators
- Moai Bubbles can now interact properly with piercing projectiles
- Add The Position Light Music Box

Mod is updated to 0.6.3!

The main highlight of this update is about perfecting the Moai enemy. They now properly interact with melee weapons. Take note that melee weapons that deal damage on swing will not destroy Moai bubbles, and thus not a bug.

There are also a few balance support from other mods.

By the way, we are looking for spriters. Join our discord if you want to help.

Mod Is updated to 0.6.4

Garun
  • These Bacterion ships are known to travel fast, and will fire bullets towards you when you're behind them.
  • They are famous for their sine wave movement pattern.

- Implement the Garun enemy
- Update individual Option inventory sprites

I cannot update the main post: the forums are throwing me an error about it. I will update it later, but all needed info can be found in this post.

Mod is updated to 0.6.5

- Implement Zalk enemy
- Make Bacterion bullets smaller in size
- Optimize individual Option inventory sprites for better view
- Fix a bug where Option types can be mixed and matched
- Implement new coloring scheme for Options in field based on their inventory appearance

Mod is updated to 0.6.6

Changes
- Add Phantasm Arrows in the Option rule list to avoid it being copied due to buggy results
- Add Zalk attack distance to not let it attack infinitely even from a long range
- Adjust Garun stats to be more deadly
- Integrate Two Option inventory sprites to reflect changes done for the options
- Reduce life span of Bacterion Bullets to avoid lag

Just some adjustments to make the mod smoother and presentable.
I am slowly making the enemies one by one in their former behaviors as seen in the original games. I am making them as well because I will try to setup a scripted invasion. It might be one of the hardest challenges I will ever create for the players and myself!

0.6.7 will come soon. i just want to support some popular content mods with the Options. There will also be some adjustments and polishing of the base code of the enemies.

Mod instead updated to 0.7.0
- Implement Grazia enemy
- Add more Option rules to support weapons from other mods (still incomplete)
- These mods are specific to Calamity, Thorium, Spirit, Bluemagic and Crystilium for now
- Improve sync code of enemies to avoid wonky behavior in multiplayer
- Fix bug about rounding errors of floats to integers
- Fix all sprites so that the hitboxes and sprite models are correctly set up
- Improve the code in freeing projectile data used by the Options
- Add Gradius III music Departure For Space and music box

There are a lot of changes... and honestly, supporting other mods with my Options feature is a time killer. I will apply them slowly and by batches.

Mod is updated to 0.7.1

• Improve player syncing to other clients when entering worlds
  • Fix a bug where option colors are updated to all players
  • Optimize code in checking for mixing and matching options to render them efficiently unavailable
  • Fix a bug where equipping the 1st rotate option causes a frequent crash
  • Further add more Option rules to support weapons from other mods (still incomplete)
  • These mods are still specific to Calamity, Thorium, Spirit, Bluemagic and Crystilium
  • Decrease Grazia fire rate of Bacterion Bullets
  • Decrease Grazia detection range
  • Increase spawn chance of Garun
  • Fix bug where the 1st equipped Rotate Option spazzes out
Some balance changes due to how powerful and dangerous these enemies can become.
Further added more items to support the content mods... it's still a long way to go, but a lot was tested.
The update focuses more on mod stability. There were quite a few bugs that are caught in action *in the middle of the game*.

The Mod browser is down, so... We will have to wait for it to be online for the Mod to be published. Alternatively, I will make a build of this version and attach it in the main post.

There were complications when trying to implement Big Core... There were a lot of issues. I will have to complete it later, but for now, I will make Big core vulnerable to all areas like any NPC boss.

Back
Top Bottom