Game Mechanics Chest loot as rare drops in hardmode

or... you know, make those items more available to begin with.

you can't fight RNG with RNG.

you can only fix RNG by removing it.

It's not really adding RNG as much as it is making items renewable instead of being available in such low quantities that you could be required to generate 10+ worlds before finding ONE of an item. I'm sure there are other solutions, but this one seems to me to be the best.

Best solution to ensure people gets items: Craft recipes.

Can't fight RNG by adding another thing which depends on RNG. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be safe.

Can't fight RNG by adding another thing which depends on RNG. Nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be safe.

Crafting recipes is also a viable alternative, but I feel like it takes away from the spirit of unique loot being unique loot if you can just make it, unless it would require expensive materials or have some complicated crafting process.

It's not really adding RNG as much as it is making items renewable instead of being available in such low quantities that you could be required to generate 10+ worlds before finding ONE of an item. I'm sure there are other solutions, but this one seems to me to be the best.

So then, what about chests in different areas containing crafting materials unique to those chests?

For example, let's say all the unique dungeon loot is replaced with "Dungeon Scraps" in locked gold chests, which can then be crafted into any of the dungeon's one-of-a-kind items. Keeps things special but lets you get what you need for your playthrough without relying on wonky RNG. Same would apply to "Cavern Scraps", "Gold Scraps", "Scraps of Shadow", etc.

Edit: I quoted the wrong ancientpower post. I meant to quote the one talking about crafting recipes.

So then, what about chests in different areas containing crafting materials unique to those chests?

For example, let's say all the unique dungeon loot is replaced with "Dungeon Scraps" in locked gold chests, which can then be crafted into any of the dungeon's one-of-a-kind items. Keeps things special but lets you get what you need for your playthrough without relying on wonky RNG. Same would apply to "Cavern Scraps", "Gold Scraps", "Scraps of Shadow", etc.

Edit: I quoted the wrong ancientpower post. I meant to quote the one talking about crafting recipes.

The problem I am addressing has to do with limited resources, not with the random nature of loot. My main reason for addressing this problem is that it can be annoying in multiplayer since you usually only have 2-3 floating islands and 0-2 pyramids, as well as a small sample of dungeon loot to go around. When you have a lot of players, it becomes hard for everyone to have equal gear.

Back
Top Bottom