Childhood Games: The ones that defined you

MolochMekkane

The Destroyer
Quite simply, thread to name the game that WAS your childhood, and one that could still bring memories of good times and tears of lost innocence.
BONUS: Name a second game that was quite influential but not as much as the first.
BONUS: Name a tune from game number one that causes you to remember.
BONUS: give a note that you think is significant, mine as an example.
Alright, my turn;

Super Mario 64. I love that game, and I always will. I didn't have Ocarina or Majora's Mask or anything like that, in fact the only Zelda game I ever played as a kid was II.

Second: Super Mario Bros. 3. So much time lost trying to finish it, so many memories, just not as much as 64.

Tune: Staff Roll from Super Mario 64. The credits always make me think of truest victory.

Note: I did not have a SNES and never played one, but I had a Genesis. I love so many of the games that were on the SNES today, even without nostalgia glasses, that I wonder how different my experience would be if I DID have one back then.

Last edited:
Super Castlevania IV. Out of small collection of SNES games, this is the one I found myself always coming back to. It was so different. The music was so good. And it controlled like butter.

The game that shaped my childhood was Super Mario World. I played this game too much
A close second would be Mario Party 2, which is what got me into multiplayer games compared to things like Super Mario World.
The next influential game was the first Paper Mario, which got me into the RPG genre.
It was only recently that I started listening to video game music while I was playing the game.

Part 1: Final Fantasy 1 or Secret of Mana. I can't pick, because they each really impacted different ages (3-8ish, 8-12ish). Both of them have very fond memories, along with dozens of other games. Though I don't feel like I've lost innocence . . . I don't believe children are innocent. =p

Bonus 1: Crystalis. I just come back to this game over and over again, and if there were ever a game I wish had a sequel, it would be that.

Bonus 2: Final Fantasy 1 world map theme is probably the most memorable. Secret of Mana's Ice Continent is probably the most "nostalgic" though its not my favorite to listen to by a long shot . . . I actually get annoyed with it sometimes, but these days it makes me sad in a good way.

Bonus 3: Sooo many other games I played from the age of 3 onward that I remember forever . . . many of which I feel like I'm the ONLY person I know who has ever experienced. Faxanadu, Battle of Olympus, the NES game of the movie Willow, a Sega Genesis strategy RPG called Warsong (Langrisser in Japan, and it got half a dozen more games there too). I can honestly say that the NES and SNES eras were amongst my favorite for gaming.

Bomberman 64, for being one of the games that best took my attention and caused me to really strive to 100% it and give it everything I had.

Bonus 1: Perfect Dark for 64, too. Introduced sandbox-style multiplayer setup to me, and playing against bots because I didn't have any friends when I was younger.

Bonus 2: The ending theme/ credits for Bomberman 64

Bonus 3: When I beat the game (Bomberman 64) and was a little "shocked" at that I was actually done, only for one of my friends to hint to me that something special would happen if I collected all the golden card items from all the stages. So I set out on a quest to do just that, and being so young, some of them were ridiculously elaborate to obtain. Since the game didn't include jumping, you had to meticulously place remote bombs of differing sizes, in order to be able to bounce across them to get to otherwise inaccessible areas. It was really tricky, especially for a little kid. Though, to be rewarded for my efforts after collecting all of them was amazing and worth every minute.

Mario Kart: Double Dash
Used to play it with my best friend in elementary school and with my cousin

Bonus 1: Super Smash Bros. Melee, I'd always want to play it with my other cousins everytime I'd visit them :)

1) Super Metroid. Even now, after dozens if not hundreds of played games later it's still the best one ever.
2) The very first Zelda.
3) Literally anything from the Super Metroid soundtrack. Including sound effects. I completed the game about a few hundred times.
4) When I think of my childhood, it was a pretty long period of time with many, many awesome games that defined my tastes for decades to come. So, choosing only one or two is pretty much impossible, but these two are the ones that were first in the tidal wave of nostalgia that just rushed me.

Damn you OP, why you gotta make people sad?

1) Crash bandicoot 3 or Chip and Dale rescue rangers 2 :D
2) I have literally no idea what to put here.
3) FF8 any battle music.
4) When i was a child. (So not really that long ago) I didn't play a lot of games. But i sat and watch my brothers play games like Final Fantasy 8 and Digimon World. I enjoyed it so much to watch my brothers play games. I still played some games with my friends and stuff, but mostly watched my brothers play. :)

1) Crash bandicoot 3 or Chip and Dale rescue rangers 2 :D
2) I have literally no idea what to put here.
3) FF8 any battle music.
4) When i was a child. (So not really that long ago) I didn't play a lot of games. But i sat and watch my brothers play games like Final Fantasy 8 and Digimon World. I enjoyed it so much to watch my brothers play games. I still played some games with my friends and stuff, but mostly watched my brothers play. :)
Er, the music is supposed to be from the game you picked.

Also, thinking about adding another bonus; any power or thing you'd want from your childhood game. Not 100% on it yet.

Er, the music is supposed to be from the game you picked.

Also, thinking about adding another bonus; any power or thing you'd want from your childhood game. Not 100% on it yet.
Oh sorry! , well then it has to be the theme song from Crash Bandicoot 3 :D

It was the very thing that made me into video games: Pokemon Sapphire

I loved it so much as a kid, even though I was never good at it. I then branched to other pokemon games and other GBA games, and eventually just yeah.

All the LoZ and Pokemon games...
But to narrow it down...
(this should not be so hard...)
Pokemon Crystal.
I never actually played it, but man, watching my bro play it...
Champion battle music from Crystal
DKC 1 I did play this one, and I still love defeating King K Rool.
My brother still won't let me delete his save file on Pokemon Crystal
EDIT: Completely forgot about Lego star wars. The original one for mac was the only game that I knew what was happening in all those years ago.

Last edited:
Sonic, first game I ever completed, Doom, first FPS I ever learned how to play properly, without godmode (and would later lead to me devleoping mods for it with a large team of likeminded people), Dungeon Keeper, for not only being :red:ing awesome, but also teaching me scripting languages and how to mod, and theres also Diablo and C&C Red Alert, both of which I also modded and greatly enjoyed.

I'd like to contribute with a game that still has a warm place in my heart.

Seiken Densetsu 2, or as I knew it, Secret of Mana.

Although Final Fantasy for NES was my first Squaresoft experience, and Final Fantasy IV was spellbinding, I didn't recognize Square as anything special until Secret of Mana. Following that title, I played Final Fantasy VI, and my love affair for Squaresoft died upon completing Final Fantasy VIII. In that time, the music that plays over and over in my head are not composed by the famous and wonderful Nobuo Uematsu, but by Hiroki Kikuta in Secret of Mana.

In this title, the main character was a 15 year old boy, cast into a cruel world by a culture of superstition. I, too, was 15 at the time, and I wanted to be a hero like the boy in the game. I worked out every day, hoping to someday save the world. My hands became so calloused and strong, and I believed, naively, that I could be a hero like this boy in the game.

That same year, I played Chrono Trigger. Again, a boy my age saves the world. In the year 1996, I wanted to do so much with my life, and before long I found out that the world was not so simple.

Even today I find myself browsing youtube, listening to tracks from my favorite game titles, and sometimes I feel my throat swell up.

BONUS EDIT:

Last edited:
♦ My childhood game was Heroes of Might and Magic 3, and that is why I am so obsessed with it. (I was 3 when I first played it)
♦ My second most influential game was Command and Conquer generals. I am a fan of startegy games, and this one brought me from turn based to real time, it was quit a turn for me.
♦ The tune I love so much from HoMM3 is either Rampart theme or Tower theme, they are both so good. One is more calm, and the other more energetic.
♦ What fascinates me so much is that although I've played it for 14(and counting) years, I still manage to learn new things. Sometimes I look at the basic things like the creature animations, and get a warm nostalgic feel goose bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom