• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Chinese translation mistakes and bugs

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
This is a temporary thread for posting Chinese language-related translation issues. We may revise the format for this in the future, but recommendation for submissions:

- Provide a screenshot, if possible, of the item/text/enemy/etc in question
- Explain what is wrong with the translation (bad context, grammar, etc). The more specific, the more helpful!
- If possible, provide a suggested improvement to give an idea of what would be a better alternative to our translators

Thanks to anyone who helps with this endeavor, we really appreciate it!

NanoArt

Terrarian
Please don't translate "BOSS" to any Chinese word. Just keep it as "BOSS".
Typically we use English word "BOSS" directly in Chinese (in video games) , and actually there isn't any precise translation of "BOSS" in Chinese.
Your translation "老怪" seems to be too wired for Chinese players to accept it.
[doublepost=1492623707,1492623202][/doublepost]Also, you translated "The Undertaker" (crimson pistol) as "送命枪".
This translation is so ridiculous, because in Chinese "送命" means "losing my life" rather than "bringing death". (Seems that I will definitely be killed if I use this weapon LoL)
I suggest you revise it as "送葬者".
Thanks.

copyliu

Terrarian
Fonts, you can use some free CJK fonts like Source Han Sans replace the default one(it looks like Arial Unicode MS now), Arial Unicode MS not a good choice, it's only a fallback font.
I think you can provide a full text list, then community can help for review. Terraira is a great game it contains a large amount of content

NanoArt

Terrarian
Rod of Discord
Tooltip : Teleports to the position of the mouse
Translation: 将你传送至老鼠的位置
Even in English "rat" and "Computer mouse" share a same word, here mouse should be translated as "鼠标", not "老鼠".

Attachments

UnluckyNinja

Terrarian
The characters of the default font are too rough, and the glyph type is not even consistent(some are with heavy strike, others not). To make text more comfortable for reading, I suggest that a better font should be chosen. For license fee free Chinese fonts that are also beautiful, I recommend Google & Adobe's Source Han Sans - https://blog.typekit.com/2014/07/15/introducing-source-han-sans/ , and Source Han Serif - https://source.typekit.com/source-han-serif/ . They are both free and open source CJK fonts.

fpx007

Terrarian
Well, What I'm going to say is all of the prefixes. In the game, I found that the translations are in the format of "** XX"(the ** is an adjective and the XX is a noun,or to be more specific, the ** is a modifier and the XX is a name of an item) . For example, the text "forceful copper pickaxe" is translated as "强力 铜镐" ("强力" for "forceful" and "铜镐" for "copper pickaxe"). However, this breaks the Chinese grammar rule. While an adjective is in front of a noun (to modify it) in Chinese, usually a character "" is used to connect the former two(to be more specific, the "" is used behind the adjective, just like a prefix in English). So the translation should be "强力铜镐". This mistake exists in almost all of the modifiers (in the prefix style), and they should be corrected too. So please add a character "" between all prefixes and item names (or just use suffix in a pair of bracket just like "铜镐(强力)", in which case you don't need to add "" although it it still allowed to be written as "铜镐(强力的)").
In short, it should be translated as "**的XX" or "XX(**)".

Attachments

mistzzt

Terrarian
"凶器" refers to something which killed people like some weapons.
However, It shows that the slime is the "凶器"
the slime is "凶手"(killer) not "凶器"(item which killed people)

So you should change it to "凶手"

凶手是史莱姆

Attachments

Vanish

Terrarian
  1. China uses the metric system, so it's better changing mph to kph in speed display.
  2. Sometimes abbreviations are better than direct translation and more interesting. (for instance just S.D.M.G. is better than "太空海豚机枪" which means space dolphin machine gun literally.)
  3. Elf Melter is translated into "精灵熔炉" when "熔炉" means more a furnace in Chinese, I suggest "精灵融化枪" which means a gun which can melt elves in Chinese for its original English designation or "火焰喷射器" which means a flamethrower in Chinese for its waving effect .

Attachments

Leinfors

Quality Assurance
Staff member
Re-Logic
  1. China uses the metric system, so it's better changing mph to kph in speed display.
The game is not coded to use the metric system, the numbers are based in imperial units, and they would no longer be accurate if changed to metric. We specifically intended to not convert to metric, despite the countries in question using that system, because the units would no longer be accurate.

RYH

Skeletron Prime
The text in line 2, "清除" is a verb means purge while the original text is clear.
Use "清除" as translation for "clear" is correct in some cases, like Clear(Command) or Clear the console window
However, when it was used in cell phone, it is an adj which means that there is no cloud.
Suggest: change to "晴朗"(adj., no cloud)

Edit:
Sorry for missing screenshot, but i fail to upload it... I will try it later if i can upload it to some other place and just insert the picture link.
The text was in "Clear" of "GameUI" in zh-Hans.json.
Also, in "UI", the difficulty of player (Softcore, Mediumcore and Hardcore) was translated to "软核" "中核" "硬核"
There is no "软核" or "中核" in Chinese - "核" in Chinese means "item in the center" or "nuclear".
The word "Mediumcore" was made, while English players can understand it - soft, medium, hard.
But "软" means soft(flexibile) and "硬" means hard(strong, stable) and Chinese players could not understand it: How a player become flexible/indurate?
Suggest: change to "简单" "中等" "困难"(easy, medium and difficult).

Last edited:

Leaving

Terrarian
My English is poor, so I can only say simply. I have already played this game for 881 hours in English. Right now the quality of Chinese translation is not stable. Some of it are really good while the improper ones are not rare(especially in weapons).
1.Equipped in social slot装备在社交栏
"社交" is similar to "getting along with other people". It's the most frequently used meaning of "social", but it doesn't match the context. Meanwhile, "social accessory" is translated into "装扮配饰". It's really proper.
suggestion: 装备在装扮栏
2.Mechanical Cart机械货车
货车=truck, 矿车=minecart
suggestion: 机械矿车
3.Ichor灵液
灵=spiritual, 液=liquid. In Chinese, "灵"sounds holy.
suggestion: 脓血(similar to corrupted blood)
4.Loot all强夺全部
强夺=rob
suggestion:取出全部
5.Restock补货
补=supply, "货" is a noun, similar to "goods". "补货" is usually used in transport industry.
suggestion:补充物品
6.Waterleaf幌菊
"幌菊" is one specific kind of flower. It's almost always used in professional field. When a normal Chinese sees this word, he/she just knows it's a kind of flower.
suggestion:波浪叶
波浪=wave, 叶=leaf
7.Sunplate Block日盘块, Disc Wall飞盘墙
"飞盘" is not proper to describe a block. Its meaning only matches the item "Light Disc".
suggestion:飞盘墙→日盘墙
8.Music Box(Old One's Army)音乐盒(撒旦军队)
In other music box items, music box=八音盒 while this item called "音乐盒". The two words have similar meaning but I prefer the latter.
撒旦=Satan. It's not proper.
suggestion:音乐盒(旧日军队)and change other music boxes into "音乐盒" or just change this into 八音盒(撒旦军队)
"旧日" can describe something with a long history
9.all Trapped Chests 受困的...
受困=being stuck in somewhere.
suggestion:陷阱...箱
10.Green Horseshoe Balloon 绿马蹄气球 Pink Horseshoe Balloon 粉马蹄气球
In other horseshoe balloons' names, Horseshoe=马掌, while these two are 马蹄.
suggestion:绿马掌气球 粉马掌气球
11.Nazar邪眼
邪=evil, 眼=eye. It doesn't match the word Nazar.
suggestion:贡品
12.Philosopher's Stone点金石
点金=turn something into gold
suggestion:贤者之石
13.Night Owl Potion夜猫子药水
夜猫子=someone who always stays up late
suggestion:夜视药水
14.Duke Fishron猪鱼龙公爵
猪=pig, 鱼=fish, 龙=dragon
It's really strange to put these three words together directly. Before the Chinese translation releases, Chinese players are conditioned to calling it "猪鲨公爵"
15.Excalibur断钢剑 True Excalibur原版断钢剑
断钢=breaking steel 原版=original
suggestion:神圣剑 真神圣剑
16.Sturdy Fossil坚硬头盔
头盔=helmet
suggestion:坚硬化石
17.Lightning: Color/White照明:颜色/白
"照明" is just used as equipments which give off light. "颜色" is usually used as a noun, it's improper in this place.
suggestion:光照效果:彩色/白色
18.Controls控件
控件=euipments which is used to control
suggestion:操控

Other improper translation:
1.Music Box(The Towers)八音盒(神塔)
神=godly, 塔=tower, but doesn't have "pillar" meaning at all. Players can't relate this music box to the event.
2."block" is translated into "图块" "块" "图格" in different places. Personally I suggest using "物块".
3.Papyrus Scarab甲虫莎草纸
It's directly translation
4.Abeemination憎恶之蜂
憎恶之蜂=the hate of bees
5.Everscream常绿尖叫怪
常=always 绿=green 尖叫=scream 怪=monster
6.Chain Guillotines铁链血滴子
血滴子=drop of blood
7.Exotic Scimitar外星弯刀
外星=from out of Earth
8.A lot of yoyos are translated by pronunciation and their names seem really strange.
9.Leaf Blower吹叶机
机=machine. It's not proper for a magic weapon.
10.Razorblade Typhoon利刃台风 Razorpine剃刀松 The Bee's Knees蜂膝弓
It's direct translation of single words.
11.Venus Magnum维纳斯万能枪
万能=can do many things
12.Storm Effect暴风雨影响
影响=influence 暴风雨=rainstorm. "暴风雨" means only rainstorm but this setting has effect on blizzard and sandstorm.

Last edited:

Skiphs

Terrarian
Fonts, you can use some free CJK fonts like Source Han Sans replace the default one(it looks like Arial Unicode MS now), Arial Unicode MS not a good choice, it's only a fallback font.
I think you can provide a full text list, then community can help for review. Terraira is a great game it contains a large amount of content
The characters of the default font are too rough, and the glyph type is not even consistent(some are with heavy strike, others not). To make text more comfortable for reading, I suggest that a better font should be chosen. For license fee free Chinese fonts that are also beautiful, I recommend Google & Adobe's Source Han Sans - https://blog.typekit.com/2014/07/15/introducing-source-han-sans/ , and Source Han Serif - https://source.typekit.com/source-han-serif/ . They are both free and open source CJK fonts.
With 1.3.5.2 I've changed the font to Source Han Sans. Hopefully it's easier to read.

fpx007

Terrarian
14.Duke Fishron猪鱼龙公爵
猪=pig, 鱼=fish, 龙=dragon
It's really strange to put these three words together directly. Before the Chinese translation releases, Chinese players are conditioned to calling it "猪鲨公爵"
I do think this translation is OK since that the name "fishron" is a make up of "fish" and "dragon"; besides,if you observe the boss carefully, you may see the feature of pig (certainly), fish(certainly) and dragon(it is not as apparent as the former 2 but its fins=dragon's wings and feet). In fact the name "猪鲨公爵" is not accurate(鲨=shark, but there's no feature of shark except the appearance of a fish) although we Chinese players accept that because we are used to it.
我认为这个翻译是可行的因为英文原名 "fishron" 是由 鱼(fish)和龙(dragon)组成的;另外,如果你仔细观察这个boss,你可以看到鱼(不解释)、猪(不解释)和龙(这个不像前面两个那么明显但是 公爵的鳍=龙的翅膀和爪子)。事实上,原来的名字“猪鲨公爵”并不准确(因为除了鱼的外形外并没有鲨的特征),尽管我们因为先入为主的习惯它而接受它。

奶子

Terrarian
I do think this translation is OK since that the name "fishron" is a make up of "fish" and "dragon"; besides,if you observe the boss carefully, you may see the feature of pig (certainly), fish(certainly) and dragon(it is not as apparent as the former 2 but its fins=dragon's wings and feet). In fact the name "猪鲨公爵" is not accurate(鲨=shark, but there's no feature of shark except the appearance of a fish) although we Chinese players accept that because we are used to it.
我认为这个翻译是可行的因为英文原名 "fishron" 是由 鱼(fish)和龙(dragon)组成的;另外,如果你仔细观察这个boss,你可以看到鱼(不解释)、猪(不解释)和龙(这个不像前面两个那么明显但是 公爵的鳍=龙的翅膀和爪子)。事实上,原来的名字“猪鲨公爵”并不准确(因为除了鱼的外形外并没有鲨的特征),尽管我们因为先入为主的习惯它而接受它。
但是他的外形很明显是有体现出海洋水生哺乳动物的特征,类似的有海豚,鲨鱼,鲸鱼,而他的技能里发射的“小鱼”也很明显是用鲨鱼和猪的外貌拼成的

火焰之矢

Terrarian
个人感觉“猪鲨公爵”比较符合BOSS的形象,而且听起来更霸气

felis

Terrarian
Found some in constant translations:
1.png
Snow Flinx and Mutant Flinxfin (suggest later to be 突变小雪怪鱼)

8.png
Etherian Goblin Bomber banner and Etherian Crystal (suggest both use 埃特尼亚 as the translation for Etherian)

Other possible problems:
2.png
飞行员 means pilot, Aviators should mean pilots' glasses, so suggest "ox33的飞行员护目镜".
5.png
清除 means eliminate/delete, I think it's more like sunny here, so suggest "晴".
12.png
剃刀 means razor, suggest for "薙刀".
11.png
回忆 means recall something from memories, not physically recall, so I suggest "召回"

6.Chain Guillotines铁链血滴子
血滴子=drop of blood
Actually "血滴子" is a fictional thrown weapon, mainly in Wuxia novels.
But I do agree that they are something completely different.

7.Exotic Scimitar外星弯刀
外星=from out of Earth
I think maybe "异域" would be a better translation.

11.Venus Magnum维纳斯万能枪
万能=can do many things
Maybe "金星马格南" (Venus could either be 维纳斯(the godless) or 金星(the planet), 马格南 is a commonly used transliteration for Magnum)

Last edited:
Etherian Goblin Bomber banner and Etherian Crystal (suggest both use 埃特尼亚 as the translation for Etherian)
I personally don't know any Chinese, but the Etherian Goblin Banner would probably use a different word that the Eternia Crystal. Just pointing that out. :p

Top Bottom