• For issues you find with the Switch and Console releases, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to Pipeworks and get a hotfix in the works.
  • For issues you find with the Mobile 1.3 update, please follow this link and give as much detail as possible. This is the speediest way to get info to DR Studios to look at your issue. Also, some troubleshooting hints here.

Choose a class, any class!

What class or playstyle do you suggest?

• Melee

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Ranger

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Mage

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Summoner

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Other/Mixed

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters

Cjjedik

Steampunker
At some point soon(ish?) I plan on taking on expert mode on the Xbox one version, with a new character and world. I usually pick a specific class and use only that class's armor and weapons throughout the playthrough. For example, I'm currently playing as a mage, so I have a variety of magic weapons like the magnet sphere, the toxic flask, and the leafblower, and I'm using spectre armor. However, in this case I'm also using a summon on the side. I have a good amount of experience in the game, having playing mixed class in 1.1 on the 360 (before I knew there were classes), melee in 1.2 on the same system, my current playthrough as stated above, and more that I can't remember~:confused:.

For my expert mode playthrough, my current idea is to play as a summoner and use ranged weapons as my primary on top of my minions, as I've never used either class and I want to try ranged weapons. For example, something like bee armor, wasp/imp staff, molten fury and a boomstick could be a late pre-hardmode setup.

My question for you is, what class do you think I should use? I am open to possibly playing differently than I usually do, but that depends on someone convincing me ;)

Thanks for reading (And suggesting :gslime:)

Tsintzask

Official Terrarian
Ranger is a lot of fun, imo. You can pair it with summoner if you want, especially since summons are intended to be used along with normal weapons, rather than replace them.

Cjjedik

Steampunker
Thanks, I might try that. I have really liked the looks of the ranged weapons I've seen in my playthroughs, so it's likely I will use them in some fashion.

Btw do you have a preference as to the type of ranged that you use? As in bows, guns etc.?

Tsintzask

Official Terrarian
Thanks, I might try that. I have really liked the looks of the ranged weapons I've seen in my playthroughs, so it's likely I will use them in some fashion.

Btw do you have a preference as to the type of ranged that you use? As in bows, guns etc.?
Personally I prefer guns because the endgame weapons are great. My favorites through an entire playthrough would be the minishark line, the onyx blaster, and the piranha gun.

TheWorfer27

Retinazer
When I do a playthrough, I'll have 1-2 minions but still play as a class. None of my gear is summoner, but it doesn't hurt to summon a non-peircing minion on the side.

Cjjedik

Steampunker
I play melee, with summon weapons. I call it "Assisted Melee", because the minions help me fight. :naughty: :dryadnaughty:
IIRC That’s what I’ve used in some of my more recent play throughs, all pre console 1.3.

Personally, I use melee, recently with summons and I have been using mixed for Wall of Flesh and hardmode boss fights.
My first time playing the game I kinda defaulted to melee armor due to its high defense, but used whatever weapons I thought were cool. Once I realized class play throughs were a thing I just started using full melee and have been until my two most recent characters.

When I do a playthrough, I'll have 1-2 minions but still play as a class. None of my gear is summoner, but it doesn't hurt to summon a non-peircing minion on the side.
Indeed, that’s basically what I’ve been doing as well since I read about it here :happy:
Btw are non-piercing minions a minority or majority overall? So far I’ve just used whichever minion I had on hand/the best I could get at the time, but I didn’t think of the piercing damage frames.

Storm Diver Ω

Skeletron Prime
I usually played ranged, with a single minion (to kill monsters while I build) and a back up melee weapon(Because why not?)

Top Bottom