Other Chromebook Support

tfhotdog

Terrarian
Hi, I am new here, and I didn't know where to put this, so I put it here. I have owned the mobile, console, and PC versions of Terraria, and I would like to get it on my new chromebook. I know that just one person's request is not enough to warrant a change, but I would like to put it out there that I would buy it again if it were Chromebook compatible. Thanks!

I don't think chromebooks have hard drives so it wouldn't be possible. Even if it was then there would still be no point as it would take a long time to port it and only a very small group of people would buy it.

Chromebooks can use certain apps. There is a store for that, even.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions
My girlfriend has a Chromebook and uses the LastPass app from here. Most of the available apps are free, and you sort of get what you pay for, if you know what I mean. They tend to be web-based.

(talking about factory Chromebooks here, not ones that have been modified with a Linux installation or are rooted, or some such thing)

Chromebooks don't have hard drives in the sense that most people are used to. The internal drive is for the use of the OS and apps that you use. You can't open a 'explorer' type of window and poke around the file system. Apparently you can attach an external hard/flash drive to one. When connected to the Internet, you would have access to Google Drive (they call it something else now) and 2GB cloud storage, which you can pay to upgrade to more storage. This is where your email/photos/etc. are stored.

Apparently some newer/upcoming Chromebook models will be able to run certain Android apps from the PlayStore. This does not appear to be something that can be enabled on older models. Whether that means that some new Chromebooks could actually run the Android version of Terraria currently in the PlayStore is unknown to me, as is whether the planned 1.3 mobile upgrade will address this possibility, with keyboard/mouse controls and such.

This is already possible with modern browsers, Chrome in particular.

Most of them support technologies such as:
  • WebGL - 3D graphics
  • IndexedDB & File API - Storing informations locally
  • Service Worker - Offline capabilities
  • WebAssembly - Very high performance, close to native applications
  • Gamepad API - Yes, you can use your XBox 360/One controller inside your browser
  • WebSockets - Used for fast network communications(multiplayer)
  • Web App Manifest - You can add a web app to your desktop
There is a new kind of Web applications called Progressive Web App,
a lot of modern web sites are already PWA(Telegram web, Twitter of Trivago for instance).

The great thing is that these technologies are all public standards for the web,
Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Opera and Safari already support most of these standards.

Google dropped support for their proprietary chrome apps technology in
favor of PWAs based on open standards.

Sorry that I am necroposting. But it is so funny to hear people who either A. don't own Chromebooks or B. don't know how they work (or both) talk about Chromebooks like this. A large percentage of ChromeOS devices now support the google play store, and with version 69 Linux apps in the stable channel. The Android version of terraria is incompatible with Chromebooks, even though they can get 90% of play store apps. My Chromebook among a select few others has a touch screen, and an intel processor faster than most Android phone processors. As for hard drives, all Chromebooks have hard drives (otherwise they couldn't store the os + your files). Some cheap Chromebooks have a small amount of space like 8 gigs, while others have the standard 32gb. Terraria, in theory, should work... but is incompatible. Even if they don't make it ChromeOS keyboard/mouse supported, and just touchscreen supported, that would be awesome! But they have already said they don't plan on this. Maybe if Chromebooks become vastly more popular, it will be a reality. Until then we have the options of PC, Console, Mobile and that weird 3DS one.

Latest Android version of Terraria running on our families Chromebooks with no problems other than we can't get them to "join" over my wireless network. Posted SEPCOR to see if anyone has any idea why and how to fix

Latest Android version of Terraria running on our families Chromebooks with no problems other than we can't get them to "join" over my wireless network. Posted SEPCOR to see if anyone has any idea why and how to fix
Just following up that after @Nalawa63 posted the question here about joining local multiplayer games for mobile Terraria on Chromebook, he was able to get an answer from Chromebook Help Forums that it’s not possible right now. Some Chromebooks can play mobile Terraria right now, but multiplayer is not a current function on them. More here: https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?posts/1683271/

Back
Top Bottom