tModLoader Cinnamon's Saturn Mod (working title): A Concept Thread

hypogriffh

Terrarian
So, this is a new thing. I've never really done this sort of thing, so it'll be wise to explain what exactly I'm trying to do here. Cinnamon's Saturn Mod (named after the Roman god of agriculture) is a "mod" focused around overhauling plants! Also, there's a bunch of other stuff, but it's mostly a plant-based "mod".

...You may have noticed how I wrote that with quotations. At the moment, this mod is pretty much just a big collection of concepts that may or may not be modded into the game, specifically when tModLoader 1.4 is released. So, in other words, this mod is brain-vomit. For now. Maybe.

This thread will contain all sorts of updates as they happen, releasing all sorts of weird concepts in my equally-weird brain. Feedback is highly encouraged, since I tend to miss some obvious stuff-

For now though, I'll just list a couple of the core elements of the mod.

CORE CONCEPTS:

AGRICULTURE: One major feature of the Saturn mod is agriculture. This mod intends to add all sorts of new plants, tools, potions, foods, and more, to change the basic concept of occasionally growing potion plants-- and promptly forgetting all about them-- into a more important and interesting mechanic. New planters will be added to match the new crops. New tools will be added to harvest and cultivate your crops. And of course, new plants will be added... Along with new potions to brew those plants into~

OPTIONAL HUNGER MECHANIC: Wanna be able to starve to death? Well that's kinda weird, but you can do it! Food has been made more important with a hunger bar. Of course, some people might dislike that, so it will be made toggleable in the mod configuration. Different foods provide different buffs, as well as filling your hunger bar with different amounts. Additionally, many more foods have been added, some special types may even permanently increase your hunger bar, or slow down the speed in which it goes down. Be sure to shake some trees, because you'll need lots of fruit early on!

UPDATING MISCELLANEOUS VANILLA MECHANICS: Call me a nerd, but there's nothing I love more than some neat little quality-of-life changes. Simple things like new mini-biomes, enemy variants, furniture, all sorts of stuff will be slightly tweaked to make your experience more enjoyable.

Well, that's kinda nice.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

AGRICULTURAL NERD-STUFF IS LAAAAME!

so imma add some bosses too ;)

SICK COOL AWESOME COOL EPIC POGCHAMP UPDATES:

NEW BOSSES:
This mod aims to add at least 3 Pre-Hardmode bosses, 3 Hardmode bosses, and at least 2 post-Moon Lord bosses. Due to the In-Dev nature of the project, those bosses will be released as they are conceptualized further. The final boss will be very plant-y, though.

OVERGROWTH MODE: As Grandma always said, you can't have a decently-sized mod without a new difficulty. I don't think she actually said that. Either way, Overgrowth Mode adds new boss AI, new enemy AI, and a special something... just think about the name of the mode for a bit. ;)

NEW BIOMES: Again, W.I.P, so take this with a grain of salt. This mod intends to add a new biome for each layer of the world: Everglades for the Surface, Sanctuary of the Goddesses for Space, the Overgrown Sea for the Underground, and the Char for the Underworld.

NEW LORE: TBA ;)

UPDATE #1: GARDENING MOCKUP

Disclaimer: This is a conceptual mockup put together in Unity, and may not resemble the finished product.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS A CONCEPTUAL MOCKUP PUT TOGETHER IN UNITY, AND MAY NOT RESEMBLE THE FINISHED PRODUCT

FEATURED: TILLED DIRT, CORN, WHEAT, HOE

TILLED DIRT:
You can't do any gardening... Without anywhere to garden! Use a rake on any soil to create tilled soil. Sprinkle some fertilizer on it, keep it nice and wet, and you'll have a full garden in no time.
CORN: Corn is an early-game crop with five growth phases. Corn grows best in warm climates, so the Forest is the perfect place to grow. It also requires nutrient-rich, moist soil, so be sure to fertilize and water regularly.
WHEAT: The beginning of any gardener's journey in Terraria, Wheat is an early-game crop with three growth phases. Wheat requires a warm climate, so the Forest is a good pick. One tile of fully grown wheat can yield 3-5 crops of wheat! Wheat needs a moderate amount of water.
HOE: A gardener's best friend. Made simply with 5 wood and 3 Iron/Lead Bars, this will be your gateway into the world of gardening.

UPDATE 2: POTIONS AND VANILLA CHANGES
Potions1.png

FEATURED: GREEN THUMB POTION, MIRACLE-GRO, PESTICIDE, HERB BAG UPDATE

GREEN THUMB POTION:
Consumable
5 minute duration
Increases crop yield when harvested, lower chance of pesticide damage, higher chance of obtaining seeds from crops and tall grass.
MIRACLE-GRO:
Consumable
Toss onto a patch of crops to speed up growth and increase yield.
PESTICIDE:
Consumable
Toss onto a patch of crops to kill weeds and bugs, has a small chance to damage your crops.
HERB BAG UPDATE: Herb Bags can now be sold by the Gardener (more info soon), and can give you crop seeds. In Hardmode, there is a slight chance for you to obtain rare plants from them.

That's really about it for these incredibly early stages, forum villagers. As said before, feedback is highly encouraged! Might take some suggestions too, especially for the Quality-of-Life changes. My goal is to make a mod that is fun for all players, and I hope your feedback can make that happen! :)

For now, though, this is where I get off...;)

Attachments

• RabbitSnack.png
    RabbitSnack.png
    1,002 bytes · Views: 45
  • Bunny.png
    Bunny.png
    13.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited by a moderator:
UPDATE 3: BUNNY TAMING and me forgetting how i was supposed to bump this thread because me me dumb

Bunny.png
RabbitSnack.png

FEATURED: RABBIT SNACK AND BUNNY HELPER

RABBIT SNACK:

Consumable
Give to a bunny for a 15% chance to tame it.
"Literally just a carrot with a bow."

CRAFTING RECIPE:
Hearty Carrot x1
Essence of Nature x1
Essence of Companionship x1
(Magic Cutting Board)

BUNNY HELPER:
Taming a Bunny with a Rabbit Snack will allow it to assist you in your garden! Give it a few jobs, such as:

HARVESTING: Harvester Bunnies will harvest any fully-grown crop within 20 blocks of their Rabbit Pen and drop it into a Plant Box. These bunnies will not be active at night.
PLANTING: Using state-of-the-art Carrot-On-A-Stick™ technology, you can get rabbits to plant specified crops in Tilled Soil within 20 blocks of their pen. Will not plant seeds if their Seed Box is empty. These bunnies will not be active at night.
PEST CONTROL: These bunnies will root up any weeds in your garden, and toss them into a Composter if you place one in their pen. These bunnies will not be active at night.
PLANT CARE: Special caretaker bunnies will be sure to water and fertilize plants whenever it's needed, but only if you put their supplies in the Supply Box in their pen. These bunnies will not be active at night.

BUNNY MORALE: Bunnies, much like your plants, need good care and attention to work their best. There are a few ways you can keep Morale high:
FEEDING: Bunnies need lots of food to stay healthy and strong! Be sure to save a portion of your veggies for them.
SPACE: Overpopulating a Rabbit Pen is never a good idea. Your little helpers may feel unhappy if their home is cramped, so limit the amount of bunnies to how many you need. Alternatively, just make more pens!
AFFECTION: By the way, you can pet the bunnies. You can also hold them, give them treats, or even carry up to five of them on your head, and take them exploring with you! All of these things will make your bunnies happy.
ROAMING: Sometimes, your bunnies would like to see the world outside of their little workspace. Just leave a way out for them and they'll explore on their own. They'll always hop right back home once night falls. Sometimes, they may even bring back a gift!

BREEDING:
Bunnies tend to breed a lot, but only when the right conditions are met. Here's a little guide:

FOOD LEVEL > 75%
POPULATION > 2
MORALE > 75%
7:30PM - 4:30AM

If two bunnies breed, 1-3 Baby Bunnies will arrive. Baby bunnies will hide in the Rabbit Pen until they mature. They need twice as much attention as normal bunnies, but Caretaker Bunnies can do the work for you. Unlike other bunnies, they will not be dropped from your inventory if you die. You can only carry one on your head. After 3-5 days, A Baby Bunny will change into an adult. Once that happens, you'll be able to give it Helper jobs.

Misc. Info:
  1. Bunnies can be named the first time you interact with them after taming. Renaming requires name tags, which can be purchased from the Rancher.
  2. You can tell when there's a baby bunny in your midst by little squeaks.
  3. Bunny Armor (3 Iron/Lead Bars) can be given to bunnies, allowing them to work at night.
    1. Bunnies will still require a light source however. Thankfully, you can also give them a Tactical BunHelm (1 Gold Bar, 1 Essence of Sulphur) to give them extra light.
  4. Tamed Bunnies cannot die or despawn, however they will not listen to you if Morale is below 20%.

UPDATE 4: VARIOUS CONCEPT SKETCHES AND SOME STORYLINE INFO

CONCEPT SKETCHES:
59E8E055-74EF-487B-9EB3-3948A3A3945D.jpeg

FEATURED: Apollo, The Trinity, A very tired bunny after work, The Comprehensive Guide to Survival in the Ward, O.R.A.C.L.E NPC

(skipping the important lore stuff for the Storyline section)

TIRED BUNNY: Just a fun little sketch, bunnies simply retreat to their Pen when tired.
TCGTSITW:
A magical tome that updates itself as you progress. Contains a Stats section, an Advice section, and a Lore section. Apparently written by the previous resident of your world.
ORACLE: One of the few remaining functional machines created by your predecessor. He still vividly remembers what the world was like before you, but chooses not to tell you, as it would likely upset “His creator.”

STORYLINE:
For clear reasons, I cannot go fully into detail regarding the story (as it would be a HUUUGE wall of text, not to mention spoilery as heck) but I can explain what lore is available to the player from the get-go.
SETUP:
You awoke in a realm devoid of civilization, armed with nothing but flimsy copper tools. Your memory is all but erased, and the only hint of your past is an old, massive book you woke up with.
FIRST LORE ENTRY:

“To whoever may read this, whether it be in ten, a hundred, or even thousands of years, welcome to the Ward. If you are here, that means you have done something irreversible. So, I congratulate you. Congrats on making such a huge mistake that you got thrown into your own little prison realm.

I recommend you get some food... Before you BECOME food for something else. Then again... This place doesn’t exactly let you die easily.

Enjoy your stay,
A.”

AFTER FIRST DEATH:
“I bet you’re finally starting to see the cruel catch to this little utopia. Death is impermanent in this realm. That may sound lovely to you... Just wait a few centuries for it to settle in.

Nonetheless, you should be more careful. You look pretty stupid when you just flail around and die over and over.

Yours Truly,
A.”

AFTER MAKING A HOUSE FOR ARTEMIS:
“I’m sure you’re curious about the strange girl that accompanied you when you awoke. My daughter will assist you throughout your time in the Ward. I ask that you keep her safe.

If you’re stuck, or just need some supplies, speak to her. She has some wares that will help as you progress.

Don’t kill my daughter or I’ll rip your face off,
A.”

IF ARTEMIS IS SLAIN:
“dude.

A.”

and that’s all I can reveal right now ;)

UPDATE 5: ARTEMIS

ArtemisSketch.jpg

NAME: Artemis X (no last name)
ALLEGIANCE: Apollo's Army; Chief General

DESCRIPTION: Artemis is a Precursor Adolescent sent by her father to monitor and assist the player in the Ward. Although she works primarily for her father, she cares more about messing with people's heads than assisting her father's "Great Plan." However, much like her father, she longs to see the universe outside of the Ward. It is currently unknown who her mother was, but the fall of Apollo's empire is a likely factor of her disappearance.

SELLS:

• PRE-HARDMODE:
    • Torch
    • Gel
    • Precursor Vanity Set:
      • Precursor Mask
      • Precursor Cloak
      • Precursor Dresspants
    • Rake
    • Strange Brew
    • Gelshot Cannon (After killing King Slime)
    • Dioculus (After killing EOC)
    • Plague Drive (After killing EOW)
    • Murder-Trumpet (After killing Skeletron)
  • HARDMODE:
    • Pixie Dust
    • Crystal Shard
    • Ichor (If Crimson)
    • Cursed Flame (If Corruption)
    • Soul of Light (After killing any Mech Boss)
    • Soul of Night After killing any Mech Boss)
    • Drill of the Devourer (After killing Destroyer)
    • Conjoined Core (After killing Twins)
    • Trom-BONE (After killing S.Prime)
    • Veggie Shredder (After killing Plantera)
    • Totem of the Goddesses (After killing Golem)
    • Celestial Anomaly Staff (After killing Lunatic Cultist)
    • Lovecraft's Tome (After killing Moon Lord)
  • POST-MOON LORD:
    • All Pillar Shards
    • Luminite Bar
    • Key Piece 1 (obtained for free after speaking to her for the first time after Moon Lord)
NOTABLE DIALOGUE:
  1. "Ah, you must be the new denizen here. My name is Artemis. I recommend reading that book in your pack. Father has some advice for you..."
  2. "This little town of your is starting to get quite cozy. Father says it reminds him of his early days."
  3. "That big eye was always quite the eyesore... Thanks for disposing of it, hehe~"
  4. "Did you know that the big Eater you just killed actually gained its size from devouring previous humans like you? ...Why do you look so uneasy~?"
  5. "The human brain has always been fascinating... Especially when it grows a heart and an eyeball and flies around. It's gross though, so thanks for killing it."
  6. "A fallen emperor, somehow landing into the head of some old clothier... I suppose there are lamer mortals to possess after an eternity of solitude."
  7. "The heart and flesh of the Ward... Ultimately pretty weak. Especially compared to Father, heh-"
  8. "All it took was boredom and a gullible little mortal mechanic to create those monstrosities... I wonder what she thinks of me?"
  9. "Nothing cooler than a giant plant monster. For some reason, I always imagine listening to metal whenever I see it..."
  10. "The Lihzahrd tribe has always been quirky. I suppose part of that is due to the fact that their only key out of their temple got eaten by a plant monster."
  11. "That fanatic... Don't you think he's a charmer? I'd take him around the Underworld for a bit... If he wasn't dead, hehe~!"
  12. "Cthulhu's little brother has always been such a pushover... He always used a bunch of cool flashy lasers to show off!"
  13. "Hey, <PlayerName>, I need to talk to you... It's about my father."
(note: this is subject to change, especially since there will be new bosses that will also update her dialogue and sales ;) )

Very neat ideas so far! I like the art you made for this thread. Excited to see more in the future!

Wow, these are all great ideas. But I have a question, have you realized that Artemis and the guide will spawn at the same time, what would be their relationship (maybe a friend of father's idk). Wish you good luck on your project

Wow, these are all great ideas. But I have a question, have you realized that Artemis and the guide will spawn at the same time, what would be their relationship (maybe a friend of father's idk). Wish you good luck on your project
While the Guide has no idea who Artemis’s father is, he is a friendly acquaintance of hers. He is a little spooked by her, sometimes.
I assume Apollo (the man in the Hollow Knight-esque mask) is Artemis' father.
That’s correct!

UPDATE 6: APOLLO

ApolloSketch.jpg

NAME:
Apollo X (no last name)
ALLEGIANCE: Apollo's Army; Leader

DESCRIPTION:
Apollo is the Chief Commanding Officer and the Founder of The Empire of the Five. He was cast into the Ward around 480 years before the player. After decades trapped in the Ward, he decided to utilize the hidden powers of the world to create an empire... An empire that didn't last forever.
(THE NEXT PART CONTAINS POSSIBLY IMPORTANT STORY SPOILERS, CONTINUE AT YOUR OWN RISK)
Apollo committed an unforgivable crime around 500 years ago, when he was 23. Reasons for his imprisonment are widely debated by denizens of the Ward. Some believe he killed a high-standing officer. Some believe he had an affair with the Curator's daughter. Whatever his crime may have been, it warranted the Curator, the chief goddess of the universe, to cast him into a realm with the one fate worse than death: Immortality. Many of his early days were spent in fear, rage, and depression, cursing the Goddesses who brought him here. Once his emotions calmed, he used his basic building knowledge learned by his carpenter father to build a shelter for himself. After finally spending a night in peace and quiet, he began building more and more. It calmed him. It made him happy.

He began delving into caves, fighting beasts, and exploring uncharted frontiers. He built wherever he went, leaving a permanent marker of his exploration. He built a shrine to the Goddesses at the very center of the Ward, high in the sky, where he made offerings once more. Although this was meant to be a prison, this was what he always wanted. Freedom.

But there is only so long that one man can take being confined in one spot.

Invisible borders in the oceans. A ceiling to what seemed like an endless sky. All of these were grim reminders that he really was trapped. His restlessness grew as he made countless offerings to the Goddesses to expand his new home. But the goddesses did not answer. They never did.

Eventually, the time came to bring an heir to his empire. He fell in love with a mortal farmer woman and had a child, who he named Artemis. But good things are never permanent. Nor are humans.

A group of rebels came to his wife's farm and burned it down. By the time Apollo arrived, the farmer woman was nowhere to be found. Thrown into a fit of despair and rage, he vowed to make all mortals pay for what happened, and cursed his own empire. By the time the sun rose, his empire was gone. The next night, he sealed himself within his shrine to the Goddesses, where he remained until....

You come along.

Back
Top Bottom