tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead wouldnt giving the existing pets a use be more feasable? He did say he is limited by spriting.
That could work too. I know spriting is limited but he also said that if it can be accomplished then there are some possibilities of other things. I just wanted to see if this has some potential. If so, I'd dig a bit harder at finding a spriter or maybe even learn myself.

IMO Cavalry is most OP. Dat movement speed on active ability. It's as much horizontal velocity as the vertical velocity getting hit by a Launching enemy generates.

I was looking at the air-based classes, and none of them really fits the kind of play style I'm looking for. I'm wondering if there would be a possibility for a Range/Melee (the specific combination I've been playing on a character I decided to gift a class scroll to) or more generalist flyer. I don't have a specific source, but there are a lot of sources (including Biblical) that depict angels as using melee weapons - particularly swords - and bows aren't uncommon either. So, that's sort of what I had based a character around.

My ideal class would be something like this (very rough concept);

Valkyrie - Starts with a Spear

+5% melee damage, -20% magic and minion damage.

On boss kill: +4% melee and ranged damage, or +.5 seconds air time, +.4 (6.4%) max horizontal flight speed, and increased handling while flying.

Special: Has wings with base air time of 1 second and base max speed of 6.25. Has a 5% chance not to consume ammo or thrown projectiles. On the ground, health regeneration and knockback is reduced by 20%.

Active: Unleashes a flock of homing ravens who steal health from every enemy on screen.

Cool class, but the special seems unrelated? Seems like the sort of special that would bd given to a dark atributed magic/summon hybrid...

Considering the class style, wouldnt you prefer a rain of spears falling from the skies and hitting random enemies? Number of spears and damage scaling with progression?

Furthermore, while you make note of a chance to not consume throwing weapons, theres no other relation to that damage type. Maybe making the boss bonuses 3% melee, ranged and throwimg damage would be balanced?

Its certainly a fun way to play thats for sure!

Edit: another option to wings would be increased Jumping height and featherfall control alongside gliding effect of magic carpet. This combination results in pseudo flight that effectively gives you the desired mobility on air even without wings.

Cool class, but the special seems unrelated? Seems like the sort of special that would bd given to a dark atributed magic/summon hybrid...

Considering the class style, wouldnt you prefer a rain of spears falling from the skies and hitting random enemies? Number of spears and damage scaling with progression?

Furthermore, while you make note of a chance to not consume throwing weapons, theres no other relation to that damage type. Maybe making the boss bonuses 3% melee, ranged and throwimg damage would be balanced?

Its certainly a fun way to play thats for sure!

Yeah, I can see how it would seem random, but it's actually based on mythology. Ravens are associated with the Valkyries as the birds of Odin, and Valkyries were death spirits who collected the souls of the fallen. Hence, life-stealing ravens.

Valkyries are most associated with use of swords and spears, so I had the idea of them being a melee class, but acting as generalized warriors. Most classes get penalties to all damage types other than their speciality. So not getting a penalty to the other weapon-based damage types is a bonus...sort of, and giving them a reduced ammo consumption even though they don't get bonus damage helps to make those weapons more useful without spreading out the focus.

It is kind of weird, but so am I...and it is a rough concept.

Hey @Hiccup251 , how limited are you with coding things? I had an idea for a class but I wasn't sure if it'd be too extreme. It was basically gonna be something similar to Soulbound. I was gonna call it Hunter. The class would maybe have a choice of two types of summons (ranged or melee, think slime or hornet but not those as the choices) and instead of having to summon them with a staff they'd be a bound "pet" that levels up with you as you kill bosses and whatnot. You yourself would deal ranged damage and deal less of the other types. Now, what the pets would be is up to you. I wasn't sure what the limitations are. Maybe spriting a hawk or maybe tweaking a bird's sprite and that could become the flying melee type. I'm not sure about the ranged type of minion. I was thinking that when you select the Hunter contract you'd get a consumable that'd give you one or the other.

What makes this different to Soulbound is that Soulbound characters have the ability to change their summon/pet whenever they want to, allowing variety. With the Hunter your decision will impact your playstyle. What are your thoughts? Would that be a project outside of this mod or do you think it may have some potential?

Edit: Just thought of something amazing. What if we took it a step further and made it so that if you chose the ranged pet you'd get bonuses with melee instead of ranged and with the melee pet you'd get bonuses with ranged, or do you think that might be too complicated?

This would be possible, but it would probably work best as separate classes, each with their own unique pet/minion, just so I don't have to create a second tier of choice specifically for that group. There's a lot of fun stuff that could be done with this, but for most of it I'd want sprites. To answer your question, yes, I could potentially code such a thing.

I was looking at the air-based classes, and none of them really fits the kind of play style I'm looking for. I'm wondering if there would be a possibility for a Range/Melee (the specific combination I've been playing on a character I decided to gift a class scroll to) or more generalist flyer. I don't have a specific source, but there are a lot of sources (including Biblical) that depict angels as using melee weapons - particularly swords - and bows aren't uncommon either. So, that's sort of what I had based a character around.

My ideal class would be something like this (very rough concept);

Valkyrie - Starts with a Spear

+5% melee damage, -20% magic and minion damage.

On boss kill: +4% melee and ranged damage, or +.5 seconds air time, +.4 (6.4%) max horizontal flight speed, and increased handling while flying.

Special: Has wings with base air time of 1 second and base max speed of 6.25. Has a 5% chance not to consume ammo or thrown projectiles. On the ground, health regeneration and knockback is reduced by 20%.

Active: Unleashes a flock of homing ravens who steal health from every enemy on screen.

In all representations of Valkyries I've seen, they've wielded melee weapons (sword and shield, spear, and battleaxe, specifically), never a ranged weapon. Not that that's a huge problem, but still. The biggest problem is the type of wing this class would use. I don't like the idea of using one wing type for multiple classes, so I'd rather not have angel wings. I don't see much else that could fit, though.

I have no real problem with the active, as ravens are pretty deeply associated with the Valkyrie, but I'd have to make adjustments to this to make it work.

I'd be fine with it having an adjustment. I did say that it was just meant as a rough concept.

As far as ranged goes, I agree that they're commonly depicted with melee weapons. Hence why I only suggested an actual bonus to melee damage, and just no penalty to projectile-based. My logic on that being threefold.
  1. Unlike angels, demons, and harpies, Valkyries are specifically warriors, so I thought it makes sense that they would be able to use all tools of war, even if they favour one.
  2. Ranged combat is the only type not covered by a flight class yet.
  3. Thorium Mod has some really pretty bows that look great with the vanity I'm using. `:passionate:
As for wings, I'm not sure. The scale wings don't look particularly fishlike, despite the name. Otherwise, what choice is there, aside from making a new wing item with a recolour? I mean, Spectre Wings would probably look alright, but would be a huge boon to get from the start of the game.

I'd be fine with it having an adjustment. I did say that it was just meant as a rough concept.

As far as ranged goes, I agree that they're commonly depicted with melee weapons. Hence why I only suggested an actual bonus to melee damage, and just no penalty to projectile-based. My logic on that being threefold.
  1. Unlike angels, demons, and harpies, Valkyries are specifically warriors, so I thought it makes sense that they would be able to use all tools of war, even if they favour one.
  2. Ranged combat is the only type not covered by a flight class yet.
  3. Thorium Mod has some really pretty bows that look great with the vanity I'm using. `:passionate:
As for wings, I'm not sure. The scale wings don't look particularly fishlike, despite the name. Otherwise, what choice is there, aside from making a new wing item with a recolour? I mean, Spectre Wings would probably look alright, but would be a huge boon to get from the start of the game.
1. Fair enough, I suppose.
2. The Harpy gains ranged bonuses as well as thrown. All damage types are covered by the 3 flying classes already in.
3. Thorium sprites are so pretty, aren't they?

The wings displayed don't need to affect the actual flight. Think of it like wearing wings in vanity, with other wings actually equipped.
Could just using code magic color a pair of wings that would fit in look.
Just use code magic, huh :sigh:

Ah, was just hoping it wasn't a case where someone would be able to rack up massive stat bonuses by killing it over and over.

Pretty big update today. I'm happy with the abilities added, and the two new classes added are pretty fun. Check the OP for info on the new abilities. Here's a description of the two new classes:

Dragoon: A melee fighter who specializes in impressive jump height and powerful plunging attacks. It has considerable mobility growth, such that one could remain mobile without the use of any movement accessories. Its greatest strength is the offensive and defensive power gained while falling - preferably toward some enemies to skewer upon a spear.

Chronomancer: A mage who may at first appear to be simply a weaker version of the Sage, stats wise. He gains slightly more mana regen, but lacks the massive max mana growth the Sage enjoys. However, this weakness is more than made up for in an incredibly powerful active ability - provided it's used correctly. Using the active the first time tears a gap in time at his location. If the ability is cast again within 10 seconds, he will instantly return to the hole in time with a massive explosion - and also completely heal any wounds received since the hole was created. The explosion scales hard with level, and in the final stages of the game can deal well over 2000 damage.

Enjoy!

The Dragoon's pretty neat! I can definitely see myself playing that class as when i play melee I prefer spears over swords and jumping at an enemy is just cool! Definitely good for exploration or just dodging enemies.

Chronomancer seems a bit too dependant on his ability in comparison to other classes, but BOY is it a powerhouse! You couldve given him a Sundial to help out his starting items if it isnt too OP.

Of the new abilities, the Contracted Sword seems the most interesting. Gotta try it out when I have time.

Ps- when the Merfolk carries a Neptune's Shell or its upgrades in his main accesory slot and makes it invisible, it is possible to make the transformation of the class invisible as well.

Aqua playthrough nearly done, bosses were a bit hard due to the one minute limit of the rain. Wall of Flesh was more odicious than usual... Its quite difficult to get a good quantity of water on hell without it evaporating... The rest of the bosses were simple enough once a proper arena was built. After Queen Jellyfish's Necklace and Fishron's Baby mount were obtained, the bonuses in water were quite excellent.

The Dragoon's pretty neat! I can definitely see myself playing that class as when i play melee I prefer spears over swords and jumping at an enemy is just cool! Definitely good for exploration or just dodging enemies.

Chronomancer seems a bit too dependant on his ability in comparison to other classes, but BOY is it a powerhouse! You couldve given him a Sundial to help out his starting items if it isnt too OP.

Of the new abilities, the Contracted Sword seems the most interesting. Gotta try it out when I have time.

Ps- when the Merfolk carries a Neptune's Shell or its upgrades in his main accesory slot and makes it invisible, it is possible to make the transformation of the class invisible as well.

Aqua playthrough nearly done, bosses were a bit hard due to the one minute limit of the rain. Wall of Flesh was more odicious than usual... Its quite difficult to get a good quantity of water on hell without it evaporating... The rest of the bosses were simple enough once a proper arena was built. After Queen Jellyfish's Necklace and Fishron's Baby mount were obtained, the bonuses in water were quite excellent.
I had the Chronomancer's ability in my mind, and really wanted to fit it into a class. Figured it would work best on a pure magic class, but the current pure magic classes cover pretty much all the stat spreads - so I decided to take power out of the raw stats and put it into the ability to make it stand apart from the others. Considered the giving him a sundial, but it's an awfully rare item to start with.

On the Merfolk question, that should be possible. I'll need to look at how to detect whether the visibility is toggled off, though. Glad to see that kind of description for the playthrough as a Merfolk - that's pretty much how I wanted it to go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom