tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh right, almost forgot.

Wouldnt block placement range be more useful for an Engineer or Architect than for an Explorer? The Explorer explores the world so he wont have that much time to build towns and structures.

I know the Explorer is overstacked, but how about a Mining Helmet starting gear? It only provides 1 defense and light plus is accesible with the merchant so it isnt gamebreaking.

Oh right, almost forgot.

Wouldnt block placement range be more useful for an Engineer or Architect than for an Explorer? The Explorer explores the world so he wont have that much time to build towns and structures.

I know the Explorer is overstacked, but how about a Mining Helmet starting gear? It only provides 1 defense and light plus is accesible with the merchant so it isnt gamebreaking.
An engineer or architect class would be a tough to implement in a satisfying way. Keep in mind that block placement makes spelunking easier too, allowing you to more easily create walls to block off enemies too strong to fight, or create bridges to cross gaps. It's definitely more building-oriented, though, so if another class does end up filling that role I may remove the bonus.

Mining Helmet isn't a bad idea at all. I might have to remove the bombs from the starting gear to keep it from being too much, but it's a good fit for the class.

A chance to not consume wires might help an engineering class. Maybe a percent bonus to tool power? (Not sure if that could be implemented.)

In testing, characters (tried Warmage and Cavalry so far) are getting three of their starting item.

A chance to not consume wires might help an engineering class. Maybe a percent bonus to tool power? (Not sure if that could be implemented.)
Chance not to consume wires leads to wire farming for gold, not something I want. Percent bonus to tool power could probaby be done, but it's not simple and could easily lead to sequence breaks (mining lihzahrd brick, chlorophyte early).
In testing, characters (tried Warmage and Cavalry so far) are getting three of their starting item.
I'm unable to reproduce this. Are you getting all 3 items at once, or do they come in one at a time during the use animation?
Another option to the bombs and mining helmet could be the Flare Gun that rarely gets use otherwise.
Hrmmm, that sounds good, too. Now I have to decide between these two :sigh:

Also theres Spelunker Glowsticks only sold by the Skelleton Merchant by the time you dont need them because you have the potions...

Id suggest to remove the Health Potion since you already give the Explorer Regen +1 and use that slot.

Mining Helmet + Spelunker Glowsticks seems like a more roleplay related combo.

Flare Gun + Bombs seems slightly more efficient and explosive, not very like an explorer and much more like a Demolitionist...

I really hope to see the werewolf class

Maybe even a vampire class?
or a dragonlord class? Dragonknight?
Dragonclass?

But wouldnt that just go in a mage category?

So wouldnt it still count as just a plain mage class???

idk

how about a paladin class?

Also theres Spelunker Glowsticks only sold by the Skelleton Merchant by the time you dont need them because you have the potions...

I actually find the glowsticks a lot more useful than the potions. For one thing, you can buy them in bulk, and they double as a light source, making them more convenient than a potion. For another, since you get the effect for holding them without throwing them, they can be infinite use, whereas the potions wear off.

I actually find the glowsticks a lot more useful than the potions. For one thing, you can buy them in bulk, and they double as a light source, making them more convenient than a potion. For another, since you get the effect for holding them without throwing them, they can be infinite use, whereas the potions wear off.

Yeah, but potions light up the screen a bit since they directly shine the ores making it possible to easily tell its type. On the other hand, thw glowsticks create sparkles that do not show what it is exactly. Could be Gold, a chest, a heart crystal or copper. You wont know till youre near.

Obtaining each one is also different. The Glowstick requires finding a randomly spawning underground npc. Not very easy at the start of the game. On the other hand the potion is created with a plant you can grow while you mine, bottles you can buy and an ores that you will be collecting tons of when you use the potion.

The limit on the potion is redundant because its easy to craft and self sufficient. While the glowstick has a bigger limit, youll usually only want a few as you said. Unfortunately, its likely that you will accidentally throw a few around from time to time.

Next is AoE. The potion illuminates all treasures on screen while the glowstick only those closeby up to a certain radius.

Finally, the potion is hands free allowing you to search for nearby treasures while mining ore while the glowstick needs ti be held to work...

This is why most prefer the potion over the glowstick and why it should be available earlier than the potion.

I'm stoked to try this out. I'm gonna try a throwing class out right now, but now I have to figure out if I should go with Savage or Ninja... Hiccup, you're choc full of great content!

Updated with Merfolk and Werewolf classes. Choosing one of these will immediately cause you to behave as if you had a moon charm/neptune's shell, respectively. All of their bonuses only apply when the accessory would be active.

I've also changed the Explorer's starting gear to: Hook, Mining Helmet, 20 Spelunker's glowsticks.

Edit: Considering working on Harpy, Angel, and/or Demon classes that would have you start the game with built-in wings - not just the accessory - and your flight time and speed would get progressively better. Thoughts on this? What sort of bonuses would you like to see for these classes?

Last edited:
Updated with Merfolk and Werewolf classes. Choosing one of these will immediately cause you to behave as if you had a moon charm/neptune's shell, respectively. All of their bonuses only apply when the accessory would be active.

I've also changed the Explorer's starting gear to: Hook, Mining Helmet, 20 Spelunker's glowsticks.

Edit: Considering working on Harpy, Angel, and/or Demon classes that would have you start the game with built-in wings - not just the accessory - and your flight time and speed would get progressively better. Thoughts on this? What sort of bonuses would you like to see for these classes?
That's cool! I think Harpy should get something like ranged/throwing bonuses? Angel could be magic/summon and Demon could get melee/hp(or something). I think that since these are inherently higher tier than the basic classes then maybe there should be some big cons to being them, you know? Maybe Harpies are slower on ground, Angels are weaker in corruption/crimson, and Demons are weaker outside of corruption/crimson? Perhaps things like that.

That's cool! I think Harpy should get something like ranged/throwing bonuses? Angel could be magic/summon and Demon could get melee/hp(or something). I think that since these are inherently higher tier than the basic classes then maybe there should be some big cons to being them, you know? Maybe Harpies are slower on ground, Angels are weaker in corruption/crimson, and Demons are weaker outside of corruption/crimson? Perhaps things like that.

Good ideas here. I'm thinking the Harpy should only get its bonuses while in the air, and suffer penalties while grounded. I feel like Demon should get magic bonuses, since the demons in hell use magic. Maybe magic/melee. Magic/summon works for angels, as you suggested. I'm not sure about tying angel/demon to crimson/corruption/hallow, as demons are hell-based. I can do what I want with angels, I suppose, because they aren't in the game.

Angels and Demons would almost certainly have lower flight time/speed than the harpy, which could mean that they don't need to have huge weaknesses, just lower bonuses than other classes. Weaknesses do make the roleplaying more interesting, though, so I'm open to further input. I could potentially use Angels getting weaker in crimson/corruption, as you suggested.

Now that you've brought up biome as a condition for weakness or strength, that seems like a pretty good idea for solid roleplaying classes as well. A Hallow Mage, a Blood Knight, a Frozen Viking... lots of possibilities for fun characters that like to be in a single area. Those based on a spreading biome could make it their goal to get it everywhere so they can always have their bonuses.

Last edited:
Now that you've brought up biome as a condition for weakness or strength, that seems like a pretty good idea for solid roleplaying classes as well. A Hallow Mage, a Blood Knight, a Frozen Viking... lots of possibilities for fun characters that like to be in a single area. Those based on a spreading biome could make it their goal to get it everywhere so they can always have their bonuse.

That would be super awesome. I've always striven for a balance with the biomes but that makes me want to try that out.

What about a dragon or dragonknight class?

Dragon breath could just be a cursed flames that you get when you beat 1 mech boss?

I say is hould the same sprites but be read as like dragons buff (also maybe should get bonus damage on anything with dragon in name?) as well as if dragon buff is a speical it gets maybe have it get buffed as you kill bosses? so it could be viable all of game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom