tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting Development! I vote that biome classes and themed classes get a set of dyes related to their theme/biome as an addition to their starting gear.

Ex:
Shifting sands dye for a dessert class

Also, how about using the humanoids of the lunar events as a base for some classes? The Solar humanoid are dragonic-like and would relate to previous comments of a dragon class.

These are the particular momsters im talking about:
Drakanian
Predictor
Stargazer
Vortexian

What about a dragon or dragonknight class?

Dragon breath could just be a cursed flames that you get when you beat 1 mech boss?

I say is hould the same sprites but be read as like dragons buff (also maybe should get bonus damage on anything with dragon in name?) as well as if dragon buff is a speical it gets maybe have it get buffed as you kill bosses? so it could be viable all of game?

A Dragon Knight could be a nice addition, and it would have an easy special effect. If I end up adding in class-specific active abilities, probably on a hotkey (Q, maybe), this could definitely end up in the mod. I like the concept, and upgrading a flame breath attack throughout the game sounds fun. What stats do you think the class would be based around? Melee damage?

Interesting Development! I vote that biome classes and themed classes get a set of dyes related to their theme/biome as an addition to their starting gear.

Ex:
Shifting sands dye for a dessert class

Also, how about using the humanoids of the lunar events as a base for some classes? The Solar humanoid are dragonic-like and would relate to previous comments of a dragon class.

These are the particular momsters im talking about:
Drakanian
Predictor
Stargazer
Vortexian
I like the dye idea, and will keep that in mind.
If I learn how to replace the player sprite with a custom one, there are plenty of fun enemies that could work, including those lunar mobs. The merfolk sprite was really easy since all I had to do was set a variable at the right time, but custom sprites would take a different angle.

Edit: On the note about active abilities bound to a hotkey, throw some ideas at me for various classes. If some classes are going to have one, I want all or most to have one. I only have ideas for a few. Keep in mind that it should be easy to scale them up throughout the game.

Dragonkinight at least in fire emblem games was always tank/mage so thats my recomend for that.
Do you want ideas for abilites on all your current made classes coz i can star composing a list of possibles for them o.o?

Dragonkinight at least in fire emblem games was always tank/mage so thats my recomend for that.
Do you want ideas for abilites on all your current made classes coz i can star composing a list of possibles for them o.o?
Well, there isn't already a class for that niche so that's probably fine. If you want to put a list of ideas together, that would be useful. Certainly can't guarantee they'll be added, but ideas are what I'm lacking for this.

To be honest, this mod is turning similarly into Maplestory's class system. In case you aren't familiar they have their traditional "basic" classes and then they have other versions with different specialties. Basically comparing our basic classes that we currently have to the more extensive such as the Harpy, Dragon Knight, etc. They all work and have a purpose but have defining perks/abilities that maintain uniqueness. I'm very excited to see this mod grow!

To be honest, this mod is turning similarly into Maplestory's class system. In case you aren't familiar they have their traditional "basic" classes and then they have other versions with different specialties. Basically comparing our basic classes that we currently have to the more extensive such as the Harpy, Dragon Knight, etc. They all work and have a purpose but have defining perks/abilities that maintain uniqueness. I'm very excited to see this mod grow!
I'm all about variety for this, now that the core classes are there. Since you'll only ever have one class in a playthrough, it hardly matters what other options are available (except in multiplayer, I suppose), so it's not super important to worry about balance. I want everything at roughly the same power level so that people know what kind of difficulty to expect, but there's no need for everything to be equal. That means experimenting with cool ideas is an easy and fun option here, and I'm enjoying it myself.

Fortress: By pressing an ability key have it slowly drain mana to form a shield the direction the player is facing to block all incoming damage from that direction OR to reflect all attacks form that direction?

Beserker: just gona recommend the normal zerker life for extra damage thing here for now.

warmage: Manablade: suck out some of your mana to apply it to current held melee weapon giving a large damage buff.

conjour: since this is a summon class something to buff summons probably

Marksman: Head shot, next bullet(s) will crit for 150% of normal damage.

savage: drain all mana to give a 100% chance not to consume throwing weapons for three minutes (mana doe not regen during this time and must have at least 150 mana to cast)

Ninja: some way to activate a higher based calm buff?

Soulbound: render yourself disarmed (as if giving your own arms) to your minnion to give it a massive buff for a short time.

Werewolfe : an ability to change it from day to night.

Anyways these are all some ideas i had off the top of my head hope they spark some interest

Fortress: By pressing an ability key have it slowly drain mana to form a shield the direction the player is facing to block all incoming damage from that direction OR to reflect all attacks form that direction?

Beserker: just gona recommend the normal zerker life for extra damage thing here for now.

warmage: Manablade: suck out some of your mana to apply it to current held melee weapon giving a large damage buff.

conjour: since this is a summon class something to buff summons probably

Marksman: Head shot, next bullet(s) will crit for 150% of normal damage.

savage: drain all mana to give a 100% chance not to consume throwing weapons for three minutes (mana doe not regen during this time and must have at least 150 mana to cast)

Ninja: some way to activate a higher based calm buff?

Soulbound: render yourself disarmed (as if giving your own arms) to your minnion to give it a massive buff for a short time.

Werewolfe : an ability to change it from day to night.

Anyways these are all some ideas i had off the top of my head hope they spark some interest

These are some pretty solid ideas. In particular, I like Warmage, Soulbound, and Werewolf. Some of these have given me ideas for the respective classes, too.

Ok

Knight can be either a simple buff to attack and defense for a limited period or a charge attack that calculates based on defense instead of attack damage.

Berserker can get a passive that grants a buff of 5% damage per enemy killed which only lasts 10 seconds but stacks when killing enemies before time runs out. Furthermore, if time runs out the entirety of accumulated buff is lost and the player receives a debuff of 50% of all stats.

Fortress can be a temporary reduction of damafe by 90% or a ranged attack that deals damage based on defense but lowers defensr to zero for a period of time.

Sage can be a unique spell which becomes stronger and faster as it grows.

Warmage can add a certain ammount of damage to melee attacks while turning the damage inflicted by melee weapons into magic damage.

Conjuror can be a simple sentry summon.

Spirit Mage can desummon minions to buff his power for a period.

Contracted Sword may be the same as previous OR the ability to command a minion towards a specific direction (Summomers Adsociation Mod)

Wanderer may have a minion spawn when his bullet hits an enemy.

Marksman can be a classic arror rain attack.

Ranger may allow equipping melee weapons in ammo slot to launch copies of said weapon as ammo of the bow. (Lol)

Arcane Sniper can be a shot attack of infinitely piercing, high velocity magic damage.

Savage can be throwing a boulder at an enemy.

Ninja can be invisibility or shuriken storm.

Soulbound can be a unique minion that grows and matures as the player becomes stronger.

Explorer can have a teleportation potion effect.

Cavalry a speed buff or a charge attack with damage based on max movement speed.

Merfolk can be a summom ally merfolk skill.

Werewolf may transform during the day for a limited time and receive a penalty afterwards.

How are these?

Ok

Knight can be either a simple buff to attack and defense for a limited period or a charge attack that calculates based on defense instead of attack damage.

Berserker can get a passive that grants a buff of 5% damage per enemy killed which only lasts 10 seconds but stacks when killing enemies before time runs out. Furthermore, if time runs out the entirety of accumulated buff is lost and the player receives a debuff of 50% of all stats.

Fortress can be a temporary reduction of damafe by 90% or a ranged attack that deals damage based on defense but lowers defensr to zero for a period of time.

Sage can be a unique spell which becomes stronger and faster as it grows.

Warmage can add a certain ammount of damage to melee attacks while turning the damage inflicted by melee weapons into magic damage.

Conjuror can be a simple sentry summon.

Spirit Mage can desummon minions to buff his power for a period.

Contracted Sword may be the same as previous OR the ability to command a minion towards a specific direction (Summomers Adsociation Mod)

Wanderer may have a minion spawn when his bullet hits an enemy.

Marksman can be a classic arror rain attack.

Ranger may allow equipping melee weapons in ammo slot to launch copies of said weapon as ammo of the bow. (Lol)

Arcane Sniper can be a shot attack of infinitely piercing, high velocity magic damage.

Savage can be throwing a boulder at an enemy.

Ninja can be invisibility or shuriken storm.

Soulbound can be a unique minion that grows and matures as the player becomes stronger.

Explorer can have a teleportation potion effect.

Cavalry a speed buff or a charge attack with damage based on max movement speed.

Merfolk can be a summom ally merfolk skill.

Werewolf may transform during the day for a limited time and receive a penalty afterwards.

How are these?
A lot of these look very good.
Knight: I like the idea of a charge attack. I'll see if I can rip code from the Shield of Cthulu.
Berserker: Powerful, but punishing. Not sure I'll end up going with this but it's a solid idea.
Fortress: I've been thinking about having the ability Stone the fortress, giving huge damage reduction, and then gaining some sort of buff when coming out based on damage taken.
Sage: A personal spell could be good, I'll just need to figure out a progression and what type of spell to use. I'll want it to be interesting to cast, maybe requiring that you aren't hit for the ~1-2 sec casting time to work.
Warmage: I prefer the idea of consuming a chunk of mana to add damage to the weapon for a short period.
Conjuror: Sounds good. Any ideas for what kind of sentry?
Spirit Mage: It would have to last only ~5-10 seconds so that you don't get to just resummon without losing a considerable chunk of the buff legnth, but it's a good idea.
Contracted Sword: Hmmm, not liking these too much. Will want other options.
Wanderer: This would be iffy to get working. The minion could be a ~30 second thing, but the variety in fire rate makes % chance on hit a bad mechanic for something like this.
Marksman: Not a bad idea, and could see progression throughout the game. It could even use your own arrows to determine the type rained down.
Ranger: Hah, not likely. This wouldn't actually be too hard to do for some weapons like spears and boomerangs that are already projectiles, but swords would require an unreasonable amount of time and modded weapons wouldn't work.
Arcane Sniper: This is a possibility, but it would look kind of weird without some weapon to shoot from. I'd probably go with a variant of the Warmage ability.
Savage: That's a fun idea. The staff of earth is such an underused weapon, I could just take its projectile.
Ninja: If I can get a true invisibility working - one that prevents enemies from targeting you - that would be a good option.
Soulbound: I'd rather give the player the choice of what single minion to use.
Explorer: Simple and fitting, good idea.
Cavalry: Could be a little weird depending on the mount you're on.
Merfolk: Too hard, honestly. Minions that behave like NPCs are not easy to make, and I'd rather devote time to other things.
Werewolf: I'd considered this myself, though I hadn't thought about applying a penalty. This is a good idea.

I absolutely love this idea! This is what I was hopping Soulbound would become, 100%.

Now I feel bad for saying no. The idea of a Soulbound minion, one that you can teach new abilities to and devote accessory slots to strengthen has been in my mod ideas doc for at least a year now. Maybe one day I'll write it and release it as a standalone which could be used with this mod, but don't expect it any time soon. For now, I think the way to go is to have the active Curse the player and give the one minion a great boost in power for the duration.

Good points...

As for the conjurers minion... Maybe an Elemental? Or something similar ti the Stardust Guardian?

Good points...

As for the conjurers minion... Maybe an Elemental? Or something similar ti the Stardust Guardian?
I suppose the question is whether it's the same minion the entire game through, just with scaling damage, or if it's upgraded through a progression.

Anyway, I'm having trouble thinking of starting items for the Harpy, Angel, and Demon. I figure I'll give the angel the halo vanity, but not sure what practical items would fit these that are reasonable to give new characters.

Harpie:
Cloud in a Bottle or Red Balloon
Tin Bow
Arrows
Feather Fall Potion
(Might want to consider making normal arrows shot by the Harpie turn into the mobs feather projectile)

Angel:
Halo (vanity)
Gem Rod (amethyst?)
WaterRod (the one in the dungeon that sprays)
Tin/Pearlwood Bow
Arrows
Robe
Magic Mirror
(might consider normal arrows shot being Holy Arrows)

Demon:
Reddish Dye
Wizard Hat
Robe
Ebonsword
*not sure*
*not sure*

"Starting Items: 100 shuriken.
Choosing this class will grant: +5% melee and throwing damage, +5% throwing velocity, reduced chance of being targeted, -20% to all other damage.
Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of: +3% ranged and magic damage, or +2 armor penetration."

Is that bonus correct? I was just about to make a Ninja and wanted to be sure. Assumed it's a typo and is meant to be '+3% melee and throwing damage', yeah?

Edit: Would you be willing to make a Jack-of-all-Trades class that one of the other members had suggested? I'm quite curious.

Last edited:
Harpie:
Cloud in a Bottle or Red Balloon
Tin Bow
Arrows
Feather Fall Potion
(Might want to consider making normal arrows shot by the Harpie turn into the mobs feather projectile)

Angel:
Halo (vanity)
Gem Rod (amethyst?)
WaterRod (the one in the dungeon that sprays)
Tin/Pearlwood Bow
Arrows
Robe
Magic Mirror
(might consider normal arrows shot being Holy Arrows)

Demon:
Reddish Dye
Wizard Hat
Robe
Ebonsword
*not sure*
*not sure*
Most of these are much too strong, especially compared to the loadouts of other classes. These are already great early because of the wings, no need to make them broken. A tin bow for harpies would be fine, since they're kind of pathetic trying to use the starting gear as weapons. I'm starting to think maybe Angels and Demons don't get any starting gear, just vanity stuff. Maybe one piece of armor.

"Starting Items: 100 shuriken.
Choosing this class will grant: +5% melee and throwing damage, +5% throwing velocity, reduced chance of being targeted, -20% to all other damage.
Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of: +3% ranged and magic damage, or +2 armor penetration."

Is that bonus correct? I was just about to make a Ninja and wanted to be sure. Assumed it's a typo and is meant to be '+3% melee and throwing damage', yeah?

Edit: Would you be willing to make a Jack-of-all-Trades class that one of the other members had suggested? I'm quite curious.
Fixed, that's what I get for copy and pasting this stuff. That was the Arcane Sniper bonus.

Would I be willing to make a jack-of-all-trades? I suppose. It's kind of boring, though.

Edit: Update up. Harpy, Angel, and Demon are all in there. Harpy has much better flight time and max speed, but doesn't get quite as much of a damage boost even when flying.

Edit2: And almost immediately realized Angels and Demons could still equip rings. Another patch up.

Last edited:
As an idea for a class based around one of the mobs, how about a cultist who has different buffs depending on the phase of the moon? So, your play style has to change every night. They could start with a Sextant to make things easier, and/or perhaps have a passive that makes them always see the sky as night. For an activated ability (though I'm not sold on the idea of those), they could consume fallen stars while the button is held, releasing to summon a charge-up meteor.

I am suddenly reminded that there is currently no class specialized on Knockback. Maybe a Wrestler or Brawler that lowers damage but increases Knockback and a Passive Ability to be able to ignore Knocknack Inmunity and Resistances of enemies and Bosses?

Also an Alchemist with the effect of the Alchemy Station as well as the activated ability to extend buffs and halve the duration of debuffs (such as Potion Sickness and Mana Sickness).

Third is a melee class that starts out with the Imbuing Station (or at least the ability to craft flasks by hand) as well as a small stack Flask of Fire or Poison. His special ability can be a unique Flask that becomes more powerful/useful as progress is had. As for name... no idea right now! `:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom