tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an idea for a class based around one of the mobs, how about a cultist who has different buffs depending on the phase of the moon? So, your play style has to change every night. They could start with a Sextant to make things easier, and/or perhaps have a passive that makes them always see the sky as night. For an activated ability (though I'm not sold on the idea of those), they could consume fallen stars while the button is held, releasing to summon a charge-up meteor.

I love this idea. The cultists are badass!

I think you should make it so you can only have one and even if you respawn you cant get back another

Cause i play mediumcore everytime and i can jujst repeatedly change classes over and over cause i keep getting the item backw hen idie.

So yea.

As an idea for a class based around one of the mobs, how about a cultist who has different buffs depending on the phase of the moon? So, your play style has to change every night. They could start with a Sextant to make things easier, and/or perhaps have a passive that makes them always see the sky as night. For an activated ability (though I'm not sold on the idea of those), they could consume fallen stars while the button is held, releasing to summon a charge-up meteor.
That's an interesting idea. Are you thinking like it has 8 stats that get bonuses, but each is tied to a phase of the moon and the bonuses are only active during their respective phase? And, since you mention it, what problems do you see with active abilities?

I am suddenly reminded that there is currently no class specialized on Knockback. Maybe a Wrestler or Brawler that lowers damage but increases Knockback and a Passive Ability to be able to ignore Knocknack Inmunity and Resistances of enemies and Bosses?

Also an Alchemist with the effect of the Alchemy Station as well as the activated ability to extend buffs and halve the duration of debuffs (such as Potion Sickness and Mana Sickness).

Third is a melee class that starts out with the Imbuing Station (or at least the ability to craft flasks by hand) as well as a small stack Flask of Fire or Poison. His special ability can be a unique Flask that becomes more powerful/useful as progress is had. As for name... no idea right now! `:p
Knockback immunity is there for a reason, and removing it could break things. I don't think such a class would be satisfying to use.

Alchemist is a good idea, he could possibly also fill that jack-of-all-trades niche that people have been wanting while still being interesting, more than just a stronger vanilla character.

I think Enchanter is the name you're looking for for number 3 here. Not a bad idea for a pure melee class.

I think you should make it so you can only have one and even if you respawn you cant get back another

Cause i play mediumcore everytime and i can jujst repeatedly change classes over and over cause i keep getting the item backw hen idie.

So yea.

I didn't realize that full starting equipment was given to you each time you die. Though you can't actually switch classes - when you already have a class, it just consumes the item without doing anything - it's weird to keep getting blank contracts. I'll make it so that you only get the contract if you don't already have a class, should fix the issue.

I didn't realize that full starting equipment was given to you each time you die. Though you can't actually switch classes - when you already have a class, it just consumes the item without doing anything - it's weird to keep getting blank contracts. I'll make it so that you only get the contract if you don't already have a class, should fix the issue.[/QUOTE]

Great

That's an interesting idea. Are you thinking like it has 8 stats that get bonuses, but each is tied to a phase of the moon and the bonuses are only active during their respective phase? And, since you mention it, what problems do you see with active abilities?

Essentially. Or perhaps more like going from Class X to Hybrid to Class Y, with a few miscellaneous stats that go up or down, as thought the bonuses themselves were waxing and waning with the moon. Probably with the full moon being pure melee, and new moon being either pure mage, or a "generalist" state. They could even have special bonuses that trigger during the Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse - or just a powered-up version of their normal buffs, but also harsher penalties for their weaknesses.

For activated abilities, it's really just a matter of taste. I don't think there'd be any functional problems. Well...other than possible hotkey overlap, but not many mods use hotkeys, and there's a hotkey config for mods in tModloader, so even that shouldn't be a problem.

Heres a unique one.

Phantom/Spectre Class

Magic oriented class with high max mana but lower mana regen. Special skill is transforming into a Ghost (the one you become when a hardcore character dies) until you deactivate the state. As a Ghost, you can travel unimpeded anywhere, but cannot do anything at all.

Activating the skill, drops all items to the floor. Deactivating the skill returns you to normal at current location with 1 Hp and zero mana.

Can only activate skill when Mana is at max.

Safe yet risky travelling and scouting!

Essentially. Or perhaps more like going from Class X to Hybrid to Class Y, with a few miscellaneous stats that go up or down, as thought the bonuses themselves were waxing and waning with the moon. Probably with the full moon being pure melee, and new moon being either pure mage, or a "generalist" state. They could even have special bonuses that trigger during the Blood Moon and Solar Eclipse - or just a powered-up version of their normal buffs, but also harsher penalties for their weaknesses.

For activated abilities, it's really just a matter of taste. I don't think there'd be any functional problems. Well...other than possible hotkey overlap, but not many mods use hotkeys, and there's a hotkey config for mods in tModloader, so even that shouldn't be a problem.
That's another option. I think I'd go magic/ranged if I were to do that, since those are the only way cultists attack in vanilla. Special effects during each moon-related event could be fun.

Heres a unique one.

Phantom/Spectre Class

Magic oriented class with high max mana but lower mana regen. Special skill is transforming into a Ghost (the one you become when a hardcore character dies) until you deactivate the state. As a Ghost, you can travel unimpeded anywhere, but cannot do anything at all.

Activating the skill, drops all items to the floor. Deactivating the skill returns you to normal at current location with 1 Hp and zero mana.

Can only activate skill when Mana is at max.

Safe yet risky travelling and scouting!
Hmmm, interesting. I'd want to prevent sequence breaks, but the only thing I'd be worried about is early temple traps, and I could probably implement a check to ensure you aren't exiting the ghost state near the temple.

That's another option. I think I'd go magic/ranged if I were to do that, since those are the only way cultists attack in vanilla. Special effects during each moon-related event could be fun.

Hmmm, interesting. I'd want to prevent sequence breaks, but the only thing I'd be worried about is early temple traps, and I could probably implement a check to ensure you aren't exiting the ghost state near the temple.

Or alter the Temple Traps to require Picksaw or at least Hallowed Tier to mine like in mobile.

New update up, adding the Dwarf, Blood Knight, Tainted Elf, Hallow Mage, Pharaoh, and Pirate classes. Starting gear may be adjusted (adding dyes and such). These classes all get big bonuses inside their favored area, and most also get some bonuses even when outside that area. I'll update the OP with all the details soon, but these have more complex bonuses than most of the classes.

Would like to mention you can already glitch into temple anyways...
True enough. Maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

I, uh, have a problem. When downloading from ModBrowser, I can't see the mod in the Mods menu. And when I try from here it simply doesn't download. Help?

EDIT: Nevermind, it works now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom