tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demon class just became a LOT more interesting! Harpies will also play a huge role in the future of playthroghs as well.

Fortress, Warmage and Spirit Mage have good abilities as well, though Im curious as to how the Warmage bonus effect is calculated.

Werewolf is obvious, though now seems underwhelming in comparison to the other classes. Then again, the buffs are hardmode material so the effect will give the class an early advantage.

Good abilities!
Warmage bonus is currently really simple - melee bonus becomes the sum of melee and magic bonus. With +10% to each, melee becomes +20%. It's definitely possible that I'll adjust this.
I agree Werewolf's active a little weak in this pre-release state. I'll adjust it up somehow, maybe by extending the duration of the werewolf form, removing the cooldown weakness, or maybe granting some other bonus during the active, like bonus regen.

Here's a couple others now completed:

Soulbound: curses self for 10 seconds, rendering items unusable. During this time, your minion doubles its speed (including projectile fire rate). 30 second cooldown.

Ninja: throws a shadowy shuriken which travels in a straight line. If it strikes an enemy, it inflicts Death Mark. Damage dealt to the enemy during this time increases the power of the mark. After 5 seconds have passed, the Death Mark activates, dealing 10 + 25% of the damage taken during those 5 seconds. 30 second cooldown.

Abilities for other classes:

Angel: large health recovery skill with long cooldown OR tiny fairies of light spawn similarly to demon flames. These can increase life and mana regen a bit each, but despawn one at a time when you take damage.

Dwarf - chance to not consume ore/bar when crafting (similar to alchemist workbench) OR a large explosive with a radius that expands with proggression.

Pirate- Cannonball launch OR parrot minion (raven AI)

Pharoah- Sandstorm spell. Acts like the corrupted magic sentry staff but with greater damage and knockback as proggresion.

Merfolk - drops water at location (inf bucket of water). No cooldown.

Cavalry - increased movement speed and Unicorn charge effect with any mount. Stacks with unicorn charge.

Contracted Sword - minion's spirit inhabits your weapon increasing its damage by an ammount equal to the damage of despawned minion. If multiple minions, only one despawns and inhabits sword.
[doublepost=1464847893,1464847596][/doublepost]Soulbound seems very simple, but can be amazing on practice.

On the other hand ninja skill seems complex to program... and seems more in tune with an Assasin... still cool though!

Heres an interesting class:

Warlock
Theme: sacrificing animals to create curses.
Effect: increase minion count, increase max mana, lower mana regen, lower magic damage.
Special: sacrifice all minions, spells will inflict debuffs on enemies. Types of debuffs depend on proggression. Number depends on number of sacrificed minions. Minion count becomes 0 while in effect.

Abilities for other classes:

Angel: large health recovery skill with long cooldown OR tiny fairies of light spawn similarly to demon flames. These can increase life and mana regen a bit each, but despawn one at a time when you take damage.

Dwarf - chance to not consume ore/bar when crafting (similar to alchemist workbench) OR a large explosive with a radius that expands with proggression.

Pirate- Cannonball launch OR parrot minion (raven AI)

Pharoah- Sandstorm spell. Acts like the corrupted magic sentry staff but with greater damage and knockback as proggresion.

Merfolk - drops water at location (inf bucket of water). No cooldown.

Cavalry - increased movement speed and Unicorn charge effect with any mount. Stacks with unicorn charge.

Contracted Sword - minion's spirit inhabits your weapon increasing its damage by an ammount equal to the damage of despawned minion. If multiple minions, only one despawns and inhabits sword.
[doublepost=1464847893,1464847596][/doublepost]Soulbound seems very simple, but can be amazing on practice.

On the other hand ninja skill seems complex to program... and seems more in tune with an Assasin... still cool though!
Don't misunderstand, the abilities I detailed in these posts are already coded and functioning. I'll add them in sometime in the next few days, once I have more finished.

For the Dwarf, do you think the explosive should destroy tiles? Or should it not, to better facilitate combat use?

For the Pirate, I'm considering something interesting. While on the surface and near the ocean (within 500 or so tiles), the active will call a barrage of cannon fire from the ocean. When this can't happen, you instead drink a bottle of rum, granting a buff similar to Tipsy, or something along those lines.

I'm adding an ability to the Merfolk to get its bonuses when on the surface during rain, and its active is now the ability to force rain for 5 minutes on a 10 minute cooldown.

Yup. Got the part of those abilities being done. Still cool abilities.

Pirate is quite interesting, but the Merfolks ability is simply awesome as it definitely fits.

As for Dwarf. Regardless of whether you go for a combat explosive with high damage and no tile destruction or a non-damaging explosive of large radius... Either will make the class interesting to play as!

For the Pirate, I'm considering something interesting. While on the surface and near the ocean (within 500 or so tiles), the active will call a barrage of cannon fire from the ocean. When this can't happen, you instead drink a bottle of rum, granting a buff similar to Tipsy, or something along those lines.

I 100% support this ability. I finally got my beach house started and I would love to have this by the time I start bossing.

I 100% support this ability. I finally got my beach house started and I would love to have this by the time I start bossing.

Oho. Btw- what other mods do you use to spice up the adventure? Personally, I recomend the Tremor Mod due to the upgraded Miner equipment if you play Explorer. I just love exploration equipment!

Oho. Btw- what other mods do you use to spice up the adventure? Personally, I recomend the Tremor Mod due to the upgraded Miner equipment if you play Explorer. I just love exploration equipment!
I know you weren't talking to me, but I'm not using any other mods. Haven't played 1.3.1 yet, so I'm just going through it plain and simple, with just this class mod.
Don't feel like updating, so I don't have this active ability stuff yet... Soulbound's doesn't seem to interesting to me, anyways.

Well, you'll be happy to know that it's working. Use the active, hear cannons in the distance, and a few seconds later you've got a few cannonballs raining down - of course, the number and damage of which are based on progression.
The Rum-Drunk buff is implemented as well, pretty much an upgraded "Tipsy." Melee damage, speed, and a bit of crit, along with a bullet damage buff. I'm debating whether it should be static or scale throughout the game.
Edit: I've dropped the base values of the buff a good bit and have it scaling up to 3x based on progression now.

I suggest this mod ;)
I know you weren't talking to me, but I'm not using any other mods. Haven't played 1.3.1 yet, so I'm just going through it plain and simple, with just this class mod.
Don't feel like updating, so I don't have this active ability stuff yet... Soulbound's doesn't seem to interesting to me, anyways.
Actives aren't live yet, anyway. Just posting progress until I have some more done to do a larger update.

Edit: I'm still looking for ideas for Knight, Berserker, Sage, Conjuror, Contracted Sword, Wanderer, Marksman, Ranger, Arcane Sniper, Savage, Angel, Dwarf, Blood Knight, Hallow Mage, and Tainted Elf. Some of these I have some ideas for, but nothing decided.

Last edited:
Yeah, i also use your other mod when I crave for combat against unstable enemies. I do like the items in the mod, but the "charge" mechanism is a bit annoying to fully use it in playthroughs. Most of those end up as valuable so i end up not using them at all... hahaha

Gunblades however are more useful to be as they provide close and long range capabilities. I also combine it with Zoaklen's varied infinite ammo to randomize my bullets.

http://prntscr.com/bb3rfz
http://prntscr.com/bb3rna

Here are my sets of mods. Since I'm new to modding I wanted to try a large assortment of them. I prefer Thorium over Tremor but I like some of the NPCs that come from it, so I use both.
[doublepost=1464907835,1464907380][/doublepost]
Well, you'll be happy to know that it's working. Use the active, hear cannons in the distance, and a few seconds later you've got a few cannonballs raining down - of course, the number and damage of which are based on progression.
The Rum-Drunk buff is implemented as well, pretty much an upgraded "Tipsy." Melee damage, speed, and a bit of crit, along with a bullet damage buff. I'm debating whether it should be static or scale throughout the game.
Edit: I've dropped the base values of the buff a good bit and have it scaling up to 3x based on progression now.

That's friggin' sweet. All I can think of is Gangplank's ultimate from League of Legends going off. I. Am. Stoked!

You already know I'm rockin' that kickass mod of yours. ;)

Hmm... is it possible to change the location from which bullets are shot from?

By this I mean that bullets are shot from the players position. So if a predetermined position is created through a skill, bullets would be shot from that location instead of from the player's location. This could be interesting for attackimg enemies behind walls and blockades or even to have a better vantage point without risking being sniped.

In short, spatial magic creates a hole in space at target location. Bullets are shot from the hole in space as if it was the gun/player.

Limits can be a reduction on damage and lowered crit and proggression can increase the number of "holes" active at a time, allowing the player to surround an enemy with holes and showering him in bullets.

By this I mean that bullets are shot from the players position. So if a predetermined position is created through a skill, bullets would be shot from that location instead of from the player's location. This could be interesting for attackimg enemies behind walls and blockades or even to have a better vantage point without risking being sniped.

In short, spatial magic creates a hole in space at target location. Bullets are shot from the hole in space as if it was the gun/player.

Limits can be a reduction on damage and lowered crit and proggression can increase the number of "holes" active at a time, allowing the player to surround an enemy with holes and showering him in bullets.

Or even better, allowing us to take full advantage of the portal gun. I want that even more. Imagine what we could do with that thing... `:naughty:

Definitely loving using this in addition to your other mod so far. c:

I was kind of wondering, given that there's the whole mothra reference of a monster in the game and all, if we could possibly get a Moth-esque class, but something to do with ranged and poison? I could provide more detail if you want/if you're interested at all. It'd just definitely be a neat thing to see in the mod alongside the other flying classes.

Yes, that would be possible. That could be a pretty fun ability for the Wanderer - it would also work for Arcane Sniper, but I've already coded the ability for that class.
I think it would probably be best if the player still shot normally, but would also fire from each portal. Of course, they'd have to be pretty weak, relatively speaking, but only because it would be directly adding firepower. I could potentially make them stronger if I imposed a penalty on the player for each existing portal...

Definitely loving using this in addition to your other mod so far. c:

I was kind of wondering, given that there's the whole mothra reference of a monster in the game and all, if we could possibly get a Moth-esque class, but something to do with ranged and poison? I could provide more detail if you want/if you're interested at all. It'd just definitely be a neat thing to see in the mod alongside the other flying classes.
I suppose that would be possible - there are Mothron wings, after all, and they look pretty good. A debuff-based class isn't all that easy to handle, but if it's all contained within the special ability it wouldn't be so bad.

Anyway, I've been working on more abilities today:

Pharaoh: surrounds himself with a miniature sandstorm for 30 seconds, giving him the bonuses he would get for being in the desert regardless of his location. If cast in the desert, grants a 1.3x multiplier to magic damage for the duration (e.g if magic damage bonus is +50%, this brings it to 65%). I may try to implement a debuff or periodic damage for enemies in the sandstorm, but the ability is already pretty strong. 4 minute cooldown.

Arcane Sniper: the next shot you fire from a ranged weapon will consume 1/3 of your current mana, granting flat damage based on the mana consumed, your magic damage bonus, and your progression. The number of empowered shots will increase with progression, up to 4, each consuming 1/3 of your current mana. I've written a pretty messy block to keep this from functioning with shotguns/shotbows/the Tsunami, which would be very broken (each projectile would receive the flat damage bonus). I may end up recoding this to try to pick out a projectile after firing so that these can still work with only one enhanced projectile, but it would be much harder. 30 second cooldown.

Hallow Mage: for a brief period, fires crystal shards toward your cursor. These crystals shatter into hallowed powder, converting tiles struck. The number, speed, and damage of shards increase with progression. 30 second cooldown.

Explorer: Simply the teleportation potion effect on a 30 second cooldown.

Pharoah is definitely OP in the dessert, but i like it!

You could avoid problems with the arcane sniper by limiting the effect to guns. Theres only a handful of guns with spread effect and only the Tactical Shotgun could be used to lay waste with this ability, which is after Plantera anyways.

Explorer teleportation here we go!

Oh, good job on the hallow spell. Crystals are definitely the way to go there!

Every time I see 'Arcane Sniper' I begin to wonder, is there a mod that combines classes like that? Bows that deal magic damage? I think it'd be really neat to be able to combine spells and arrows to make some neat results. Think of the Alchemist class in the Thorium mod but with arcane bows.

Pharoah is definitely OP in the dessert, but i like it!

You could avoid problems with the arcane sniper by limiting the effect to guns. Theres only a handful of guns with spread effect and only the Tactical Shotgun could be used to lay waste with this ability, which is after Plantera anyways.

Explorer teleportation here we go!

Oh, good job on the hallow spell. Crystals are definitely the way to go there!
I don't really see how limiting the effect to guns does anything to fix the issue. The only bows that fire multiple arrows are the Chlorophyte shotbow and the Tsunami, while there are 3 shotguns - anyway, the only real problem is that I can't keep modded weapons that fire multiple projectiles from benefiting. And if you don't think it would be broken, imagine coming into hardmode and buying a shotgun that does 140 damage/bullet without any damage buffs.

Every time I see 'Arcane Sniper' I begin to wonder, is there a mod that combines classes like that? Bows that deal magic damage? I think it'd be really neat to be able to combine spells and arrows to make some neat results. Think of the Alchemist class in the Thorium mod but with arcane bows.
I had actually planned to add magic bows as loot to Prefixes, but ended up unable to draft a decent progression. I'd probably have to take another, more complex angle to make them interesting to use. Maybe having accessories that imbue arrows fired with various magics, or something. I haven't done a playthrough with Thorium since tAPI, don't know how the alchemy class works - doesn't look like there's info on the homepage, either.

Yo Hiccup, would you be willing to make classes that happen to benefit from other mods? For example, what if you were to make a class that is focused on ranged damage but gets bonuses for blowpipes (Reference to the mod Ersion and similar to how the Pirate is designed)? Obviously this blowpipe class would be weaker without the mod but if they have it they would be able to make a niche class even more viable.
[doublepost=1464934244,1464934016][/doublepost]
I had actually planned to add magic bows as loot to Prefixes, but ended up unable to draft a decent progression. I'd probably have to take another, more complex angle to make them interesting to use. Maybe having accessories that imbue arrows fired with various magics, or something. I haven't done a playthrough with Thorium since tAPI, don't know how the alchemy class works - doesn't look like there's info on the homepage, either.

Excuse me, I meant to say Plague Doctor. I flubbed a bit on that one. Here's the information on it. As you can see, they have a base throwing weapon that allows the other thrown bottles to give off a unique effect.

You mustve been thinking of the Gyrolite mods Alchemist class which is similar yet different. Though thatvmod is still under development...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom