tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey There!

Wanted to say amazing work! Though I had a few questions.

1) In multiplayer, is it designed to not be able to see others passive / actives? Whenever we use them we can't actually see anything nor are we affected by stuff like healing

2) Is there a way to obtain the Void Contract? It might've had a save error and now there's nothing but 0's on the ability.

Thanks for your time!

Please! I want an incentive to use shotguns. Now that I think of it there aren't many shotguns, are there? In both vanilla and most mods.

Edit: Maybe you could make it so that some guns, when used by that class, fire a buckshot? Not sure how possible that is and how difficult that would be. There seems to be very few shotguns though.

Last edited:
Hey There!

Wanted to say amazing work! Though I had a few questions.

1) In multiplayer, is it designed to not be able to see others passive / actives? Whenever we use them we can't actually see anything nor are we affected by stuff like healing

2) Is there a way to obtain the Void Contract? It might've had a save error and now there's nothing but 0's on the ability.

Thanks for your time!
1. This is an issue I was unaware of until a couple days ago - it's not intentional. It seems that anything that happens in the player updates or Mod file directly does not happen for other players - or, more accurately, for the server. It's what caused issues with damaging abilities not functioning in MP. I'll see what I can do about the healing being broken (I assume you speak of the Angel), but I'm not sure I can do anything about the dust effects.

2. Craft from a blank contract (get it from a new character) or cheat it in. It's not obtainable through normal means because I want it to be a very deliberate decision to switch classes for whatever reason.
Please! I want an incentive to use shotguns. Now that I think of it there aren't many shotguns, are there? In both vanilla and most mods.

Edit: Maybe you could make it so that some guns, when used by that class, fire a buckshot? Not sure how possible that is and how difficult that would be. There seems to be very few shotguns though.
Unfortunately, there's no way to tell what behaves as a shotgun and what doesn't - I can do it for vanilla by name or ID, but modded shotguns wouldn't register. I could do as you suggest and make guns fire a weaker spread of bullets, but it would only affect the same guns that Wanderer and Arcane Sniper affect, and for the same reasons. When I said Graves, I was thinking mostly about taking components from individual abilities, like his Q or R, to be integrated into the active for a class. Specifically, having a strong effect when colliding with a tile, or throwing the player back when using the ability.

Speaking of LoL inspired classes, I'd enjoy seeing an Aurelion Sol-esque class. Their own damage would be gutted but their stars could reliably scale throughout the game to rival, if not best similar tiered weapons at the same level. The "active"(or rather, toggled) ability could be W, but similarly consume mana, so upon selection you can get a boost of base mana for early actives.

Booping everything to death could be fun.

Continuing the League ideas, I'd also enjoy to see classes that have co-op based abilities, such as giving level-ups to others as opposed to self (Zilean) or dealing greatly increased damage on an enemy when such enemy kills an ally or makes the ally low on health (Garen)

Speaking of LoL inspired classes, I'd enjoy seeing an Aurelion Sol-esque class. Their own damage would be gutted but their stars could reliably scale throughout the game to rival, if not best similar tiered weapons at the same level. The "active"(or rather, toggled) ability could be W, but similarly consume mana, so upon selection you can get a boost of base mana for early actives.

Booping everything to death could be fun.

Continuing the League ideas, I'd also enjoy to see classes that have co-op based abilities, such as giving level-ups to others as opposed to self (Zilean) or dealing greatly increased damage on an enemy when such enemy kills an ally or makes the ally low on health (Garen)
Orbiting stars could be fun! Definitely doable, too. I'm less fond of the other two, but co-op capable abilities are possible. I think I would prefer single target shields, heals, or other buffs as support actives, which would still be usable in SP.

Perhaps you can make it similar to Aurelion Sol on URF. As he leveled up he gained more stars, thus giving you more hits in the rotation.
Not a bad idea. I'm wondering what sprite would work well for these... though of course, some dust effects, like a trail, will be called for.

I think Aurelion Sol passive... is very similar Demon-class passive. But now flames only for shooting. At the beginning spheres damage in touch, how Aurelion Sol do)))

So I was giving the Moth suggestion some more thought, and perhaps it could be a Magic/Throwing Hybrid, with an active that slows enemies or something akin to the Plantera Spore Sac, but with scale dust from the wings instead? Not sure if these sorts of ideas help with the process of developing new classes or not, but it'd definitely be neat to have a moth class.

So I was giving the Moth suggestion some more thought, and perhaps it could be a Magic/Throwing Hybrid, with an active that slows enemies or something akin to the Plantera Spore Sac, but with scale dust from the wings instead? Not sure if these sorts of ideas help with the process of developing new classes or not, but it'd definitely be neat to have a moth class.
The Moth is on my short list of classes with complete concepts to be added. The idea behind it right now is that it gets no boosts to any damage type, just wings and a powerful active - which is basically what you describe with dust falling from the wings. Poison dust, that is, with a considerable scaling DoT effect. I'm also toying with a passive ability that causes all damage you inflict to give a debuff that multiplies any negative health regen an enemy has, which would also scale throughout the game (something like 1.5x to 5x, maybe). Thinking about how I could make the active a toggle while keeping balance, as well. Perhaps a reduction in raw damage and endurance while it's active, as well as mana consumption?
I think Aurelion Sol passive... is very similar Demon-class passive. But now flames only for shooting. At the beginning spheres damage in touch, how Aurelion Sol do)))
Yeah, not entirely dissimilar, though the stars wouldn't die and respawn when hitting enemies, and they'd all share the same orbit.

I keep having this silly idea for a Kitsune class that starts with the fox vanity (and maybe yellow dye because LoZ). I picture it as a a throwing/magic hybrid, except that instead of doing more damage, it still takes a penalty to those damage types but creates two "clone" copies of each attack (instead of throwing one knife or casting one spell, if fires three at the cost of one) on slightly deviating trajectories. Reduced mana cost and chance not to consume thrown weapons as they level up. For an active ability, it would get "foxfire", in the form of a shine potion effect, and all its attacks applying Cursed Flames (with a chance of confusion that scales with level, since kitsune are tricksters?).

I keep having this silly idea for a Kitsune class that starts with the fox vanity (and maybe yellow dye because LoZ). I picture it as a a throwing/magic hybrid, except that instead of doing more damage, it still takes a penalty to those damage types but creates two "clone" copies of each attack (instead of throwing one knife or casting one spell, if fires three at the cost of one) on slightly deviating trajectories. Reduced mana cost and chance not to consume thrown weapons as they level up. For an active ability, it would get "foxfire", in the form of a shine potion effect, and all its attacks applying Cursed Flames (with a chance of confusion that scales with level, since kitsune are tricksters?).
This sounds awesome! It's interesting because Ninja focuses on burst damage to a single target and this focuses on being able to handle mobs. That's pretty neat!

I like the basic idea of the class, though the active isn't particularly exciting. The passive multi-shot could run into problems for the same reason that Arcane Sniper and Wanderer have issues, but I'm not sure how many (if any) magic or throwing weapons could cause problems.

I like the basic idea of the class, though the active isn't particularly exciting. The passive multi-shot could run into problems for the same reason that Arcane Sniper and Wanderer have issues, but I'm not sure how many (if any) magic or throwing weapons could cause problems.
Maybe the Machine Gun from Martians could, or perhaps the Blizzard Staff. Controllable weapons, like Magic Missile, Flamelash, and the Rainbow Rod might as well. Last Prism, Nimbus/Crimson Rod, Rainbow Gun, Clinger Staff.

I did feel like the active might be a bit weak, but I couldn't think of anything better that fit. Good point about the magic, though. Not sure what would be better for that, though.

The special passive ability for the dragoon (falling fast and increasing melee DMG) is activating for me, even though i'm a knight.

Would it be possible to make a Black Belt Class? Instead of using weapons to attack(they can still use them if they want)
Their fists are the weapons. The damage increases heftily after every wall(King slime eye eater Queen Skele Wof Mechas Plantera Golem Duke fishron Cultist pillars moonlord?)

Im not sure how you could implement this though;-;

The special passive ability for the dragoon (falling fast and increasing melee DMG) is activating for me, even though i'm a knight.
Side effect of how things are saved and loaded, this kind of thing can happen every time new classes are added if you've already killed some bosses. Basically, the "boss killed" values are read as "has this class" values the first time you load the new version. To get rid of the effect, cheat in a Void Contract, use it, then craft another knight contract.

I should also note that you might lose your levels from early bosses when this happens - you should probably go back and kill the first few again.
Would it be possible to make a Black Belt Class? Instead of using weapons to attack(they can still use them if they want)
Their fists are the weapons. The damage increases heftily after every wall(King slime eye eater Queen Skele Wof Mechas Plantera Golem Duke fishron Cultist pillars moonlord?)

Im not sure how you could implement this though;-;
Monk is on my short list, though not quite how you imagine. It would be an undertaking to give him unarmed attacks as a weapon, so he's melee based - only gets bonuses if he isn't wearing armor, but they're pretty big.

Side effect of how things are saved and loaded, this kind of thing can happen every time new classes are added if you've already killed some bosses. Basically, the "boss killed" values are read as "has this class" values the first time you load the new version. To get rid of the effect, cheat in a Void Contract, use it, then craft another knight contract.

I should also note that you might lose your levels from early bosses when this happens - you should probably go back and kill the first few again.

Monk is on my short list, though not quite how you imagine. It would be an undertaking to give him unarmed attacks as a weapon, so he's melee based - only gets bonuses if he isn't wearing armor, but they're pretty big.

So sort of like the Monk from Final Fantasy? Where you deal heavy damage but you dont have the most amazing armor?
[doublepost=1465786915,1465786567][/doublepost]For the Monk. Would accessories count as armor for him since you can have warding and stuff? Or will those be the only defenese you can get besides Dryad buff ironskin and wellfed ?

So sort of like the Monk from Final Fantasy? Where you deal heavy damage but you dont have the most amazing armor?
[doublepost=1465786915,1465786567][/doublepost]For the Monk. Would accessories count as armor for him since you can have warding and stuff? Or will those be the only defenese you can get besides Dryad buff ironskin and wellfed ?
Current stats are melee damage, crit, defense, life regen, and endurance. Bonuses are big, because you're losing out on anything you'd get from armor, including set bonuses. Armor only counts actual pieces of armor, so you can wear whatever accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom