tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monk is on my short list, though not quite how you imagine. It would be an undertaking to give him unarmed attacks as a weapon, so he's melee based - only gets bonuses if he isn't wearing armor, but they're pretty big.
Current stats are melee damage, crit, defense, life regen, and endurance. Bonuses are big, because you're losing out on anything you'd get from armor, including set bonuses. Armor only counts actual pieces of armor, so you can wear whatever accessories.
Monk sounds like it'll be interesting. Might use that in a try of an armorless playthrough.

Couple more thoughts on new classes, I guess. If they're similar to classes already in, that's cause I'm not checking the classes already in.

Fast melee guy. Gains melee speed and movement speed, decreases to all damage except melee.
Maybe an active of 3-10 attacks with the item currently in hand at once, getting more in amount the further in the game you are. Basically - you swing a wood sword at the beginning of the game 3 times right away, with all three actually hitting. Later on, you use 10 daybreaks right away, hitting the target with all of them. May need a rather high cooldown on that one. Maybe not the increasing amount over time, or not that much.

Sky mage guy. Gains much higher magic damage, mana regen, and mana the higher up you are, less the lower you are. If at top of world, you'd have immense power. If at bottom, you'd be incredibly weak. Decreases to all other damage types.
Since Wall of Flesh may be a problem, unless you use other weapons than magic, perhaps the active could make the whole world affected by the gravity of space for 30 seconds, effectively making the world the sky. Needs a decently heavy cooldown, probably 5-10 minutes.

These are classes/ideas that I haven't really fully thought in my head, so I'll just throw these ideas out there.

1. A hybrid Throwing/Ranged class, slightly more focusing on explosives such as grenades and rockets. With the grenades they have a powerful early start with maybe a wooden bow and couple arrows to boot further, but with slightly poor scalings, the fall off can be noticable later in the game. On death, they could drop a grenade that gives them gold on respawn, say, double the gold of what the enemy would've usually dropped, if they've killed an enemy with that grenade, perhaps? Damage scales with level, throw damage, etc.
2. A class that scales completely off the gold in their current inventory. This creates a much bigger risk/reward scenario, as you can shred everything but at the same time you'll put yourself at risk of losing a great amount that gold on death. This is probably incredibly cheesy, though.
3. A rather Hit-&-Run character, starting with Hermes Boots and maybe a Stopwatch. When reaching a certain speed (Full sprint, possibly) their next attack/shot/cast would be empowered, dealing a great amount of damage, but slowing their movement speed after such attack happens to that the player would have to get to top speed once more. World skybridges OP, gotta go fast joke, etc. (Inspired by LoL's Dead Man's Plate)

These are classes/ideas that I haven't really fully thought in my head, so I'll just throw these ideas out there.

1. A hybrid Throwing/Ranged class, slightly more focusing on explosives such as grenades and rockets. With the grenades they have a powerful early start with maybe a wooden bow and couple arrows to boot further, but with slightly poor scalings, the fall off can be noticable later in the game. On death, they could drop a grenade that gives them gold on respawn, say, double the gold of what the enemy would've usually dropped, if they've killed an enemy with that grenade, perhaps? Damage scales with level, throw damage, etc.
2. A class that scales completely off the gold in their current inventory. This creates a much bigger risk/reward scenario, as you can shred everything but at the same time you'll put yourself at risk of losing a great amount that gold on death. This is probably incredibly cheesy, though.
3. A rather Hit-&-Run character, starting with Hermes Boots and maybe a Stopwatch. When reaching a certain speed (Full sprint, possibly) their next attack/shot/cast would be empowered, dealing a great amount of damage, but slowing their movement speed after such attack happens to that the player would have to get to top speed once more. World skybridges OP, gotta go fast joke, etc. (Inspired by LoL's Dead Man's Plate)

1 harpy is throwing/ranged But focusing on explosives could be a nice idea to do. SUch as a demolitionist class.

2 That could be a very interesting amazing class. Although it'd definitely need a cap.

3 This can be interesting to. Because you basicallly have to be speedy and it'd be very easy to make powerful due to wings etc.

2 That could be a very interesting amazing class. Although it'd definitely need a cap.

That or a drawback other than the death risk. For instance, losing money when they attack or get hit, or both. Or not getting money from killing mobs and needing to get all their coin from selling things, but that might not work as well.

Monk sounds like it'll be interesting. Might use that in a try of an armorless playthrough.

Couple more thoughts on new classes, I guess. If they're similar to classes already in, that's cause I'm not checking the classes already in.

Fast melee guy. Gains melee speed and movement speed, decreases to all damage except melee.
Maybe an active of 3-10 attacks with the item currently in hand at once, getting more in amount the further in the game you are. Basically - you swing a wood sword at the beginning of the game 3 times right away, with all three actually hitting. Later on, you use 10 daybreaks right away, hitting the target with all of them. May need a rather high cooldown on that one. Maybe not the increasing amount over time, or not that much.

Sky mage guy. Gains much higher magic damage, mana regen, and mana the higher up you are, less the lower you are. If at top of world, you'd have immense power. If at bottom, you'd be incredibly weak. Decreases to all other damage types.
Since Wall of Flesh may be a problem, unless you use other weapons than magic, perhaps the active could make the whole world affected by the gravity of space for 30 seconds, effectively making the world the sky. Needs a decently heavy cooldown, probably 5-10 minutes.
I like the sky mage idea - here's an adaptation.
Olympian: Gains magic and throwing bonuses scaling based on height, capping a little below space. Bonuses hit zero at cavern level, and may continue to drop below that (undecided). Active throws a bolt of lightning.

1. Not a huge fan of the idea, but your notion of having him get something when respawning is an interesting one, and something I may explore in the future.
2. Rather than gaining raw strength from having gold, the active ability could toggle the consumption of coins when taking or dealing damage - the more damage you would deal or take, the more coins are consumed, and the bigger the effect. The max amount of coins consumed per damage could increase with level. A Merchant class, perhaps, who is otherwise a little weak (like Angler) but maybe has ways of making a little more money than most.
3. Why not just adapt the ability more closely, and have a buff charge up as you move that discharges for flat damage when you deal damage?

3. Why not just adapt the ability more closely, and have a buff charge up as you move that discharges for flat damage when you deal damage?

Yeah, that'd definitely be much more optimal. My bad for the unnecessarily complicated paragraph attempt to replicate DMP.

Not sure if anyone has mention thing but there's a bug on the star cell when playing as soul bound summon. When it teleports it despawns. I know a similar bug was reported on the twins summon.

The dragoon's melee bonus seems to activate when someone is grappled (via grappling hook or a similar item) to an object as well as when they are falling.
EDIT: This anomaly only happens when one is grappling to something above them. My bad for not checking more

Last edited:
The dragoon's melee bonus seems to activate when someone is grappled (via grappling hook or a similar item) to an object as well as when they are falling.
EDIT: This anomaly only happens when one is grappling to something above them. My bad for not checking more
Only while moving, or while hanging there?

Just while hanging from a block with any normal grappling hook. I tested this with a new character and the default grappling hook. You have to grapple something that is above you (like a ceiling)

Just while hanging from a block with any normal grappling hook. I tested this with a new character and the default grappling hook. You have to grapple something that is above you (like a ceiling)
Game probably doesn't set velocity to 0 there, just keeps the player at that position. Thanks for letting me know, I'll try to patch it out.

Would it be possible to add a class that can morph you into somethiing as its active???
Not sure how I'd go about that. Would be possible to make the player invisible and intangible, unable to use items, and then have a projectile/ some projectiles where the player would be. The only implementation of this I can think of is a bat swarm transformation for a vampire, or something.

I have a suggestion for a stealthy class. It's a glass cannon and does high damage but dies really easily. Formatted it the same way you do so that it's easier to see.

Assassin:
Starting items: Grappling hook, Tiger climbing gear (Or Tabi, but that might be OP)
Choosing this class will grant: +10% melee, ranged, and throwing damage, +10% move speed, -30% all other damage, -25% life, (-20% armor as well if possible)
Upon killing a boss for the first time, you will generally get a bonus of: +5% melee, ranged, and throwing damage, or +10% move speed
Special: Deals 30% higher damage while stealthed, but takes 50% more damage from enemies (Or has halved armor, whatever is easier to code)
Active: Gets an invisibility buff that lasts forever until you take damage, with a 2 minute cooldown (Honestly, the cooldown can be lower since taking damage while stealthed has serious consequences for this class)

I tried to make this character be really defined as a glass cannon. It could even go so crazy as to have 200% higher damage while stealthed, but also take 200% damage from enemies. That might be a bit over the limits, but this class is unique in how the stats are distributed instead of what abilities it has so it might work.

Uh...everytime i select my class i get 3 of the items...i voided the contract, and then tried to see if that was the bug, went marksman and got 3 lead bows and 300 arrows.

Hey i have an idea for a class
name: Tree Wizard
Stat gain You start off with + 10% magic damage and +20 mana but lose 20% in all other damage.
start item Starting item is a wand of sparking and some wood(maybe 200?)
Special Passive ability While you are in the forest biome you gain an extra 10% magic damage and +3 faster mana regen
Active ABility: You call upon the power of the forest to entangle your opponents in their roots and repeatedly lash out at them (Basically has roots ensare the enemy or trees trap the enemy and repeatedly damages and slows them for maybe 5 seconds at first but then after every boss kill it increases by + 4seconds?) *Acts as the special passive ability while this ability is active*

Would this be possible or not? Ofc the effect wouldnt work on bosses but still?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom