tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does soulbound work with mod minions that take up more than one slot? Are you still only allowed one of them, or does the game just think you have 1 minion slot, like calamity yharim staff spawning 1 minion for 4 minion slots.

Similarly... what about mod minions that spawn more than one per cast, like thorium butterfly staff spawning 3 minions for 1 slot.

The more and more I play with this mod, the more and more I dislike the hybrid classes in this mod. Sigh. I love this mod a lot - its so much more smoother and doesn't screw with things/cause conflicts or instability issues with other mods, and I love the idea of killing bosses to gain arbitrary levels to reflect personal growth. Seriously, despite this post being a complaint, I love this mod, and im only complaining because I do love it, you know?

So yeah. The hybrid classes. I just can't figure them out - the idea is quite simple. I get every class is suppose to have its niche/theme/focus: You got your "Biome" classes; Merfolk (Water), Pirate (Ocean), Dwarf (Cavern), Pharaoh (Desert), Blood Knight (Crimson), Tainted Elf (Corruption), so on. Even a time-based one in the Werewolf (Night). And you got your traditional Sage/etc classes to excel at 1 field solely. Now, call me crazy, with the themes of the classes being "to make you better in your chosen element" or specialization or biome or expertise; why is it the hybrid classes don't deliver on this? Here, let me explain;

Spirit Mage for example gets +magic, +summon, -all other, etc. Its whole theme is wielding magic and blowing their load while being backed up my minions while "recharging". The problem is however, the active power -discourages- going 50/50 with this build. You can either go full on summoner for as many minions as possible, then hit Q to -temporarily- act like a proper magic-damage dealer (say 10 minions sacrificed for +100% magic damage for a few seconds). Or, you can go full on magic damage, and grab a few summons from the alter, potions, maybe a single accessory. Sure, your only sacrificing 2-4 minions for +20-40% damage, but your magic damage is already high, so its just sprinkles on your icing on your cake, you know? Basically, there is no incentive in this kit to actually be a proper hybrid: your either going full summoner and "pretending" to be another role temporarily (which will often go badly for you; sense your pets staying alive will likely do more damage then you could even with 60-100% magic damage), or your a mage just using summons for a little tiny boost that could have been replicated by giving the sage a +25% damage buff for X seconds at the cost of +25% mana costs or something.

Ok, that was a bit over complicated; so heres another one with a bit more simple of a issue;

Arcane Archer is suppose to be +magic, +ranged, -all other, etc. Its whole theme is burning mana to empower ranged attacks with magical force. Except from what im reading, the active isnt scaled with magic. Its literally eating your mana to -only buff- your ranged attacks for a few attacks. There is literally 0 reason to use any magic, at all, as an Arcane Archer. Your active doesnt support magic attacks apparently (at least not that my testing shows), and it doesnt scale from having magic damage mixed with your ranged damage. So you basically just go 100% normal ranged attacker, and pop the active to burn the mana you never planned to use to begin with. Which begs the question: Why even bother putting a +% magic damage buff in the class at all?

What im trying to say is; these mechanics are not hybrid playstyles. In fact, they outright oppose it and are a bit misleading, at least to me.

What I would love to see? If you would ever consider it (and I would be forever thankful if you even thought about it - let alone actually did it); would be to make ALL of the hybrid classes actually -benefit- from using both stats. What I mean is; if you got +40% ranged damage from gear, and +40% magic damage from gear, a hybrid class would have a passive that gives them 50-100% of their "other stat" to determine their total bonus damage with what they are using. Aka, if you used ranged, +60% total, or magic, +60% total. I dunno. This is just wishful thinking/theorycrafting.

Anyway, thanks for listening - sorry for bugging/ranting. Keep up the good work! Im just a nitpicker, so don't mind me to much. xD

This sort of feedback is a joy to read. I'm glad you care about this mod enough to make a post like this.

Hybrid playstyles in general are tough to balance around due to the inconsistency of damage type bonuses in the base game, where about half are 'all damage' and half are a specific type. There's no way to distinguish these in a generalized way, because 'all damage' just adds a bonus to each damage type parameter (there's no 'all damage' parameter to check). This often means that, at some points in the game, players have access to equipment options that give them a lot of 'all damage' while not having to worry about focusing heavily on a specific type. When this happens, abilities that scale off of two different types, if balanced around gear that gives bonuses to only one damage type, get stupidly strong. When you balance around these points in the game, the points where these options aren't available make you feel very weak.

That said, this mod isn't meticulously balanced as-is, and it might be worth it to forgo some of the balance in hybrid classes currently for more peak power and fun with them. I'll at least look at it.

Anyway, on to individual points.

Honestly, I feel like Spirit Mage does a pretty good job as a hybrid class, even the way you describe it. While the optimal setup may be ~80/20 one way or the other, that optimal setup still requires use of both class functions, and it has the flexibility to go from one end to the other at any time. That suits my definition of hybrid class very well, though not everyone might agree with that definition.

Arcane Archer, though, you're definitely right about. While I disagree that there's 0 reason to use magic ever (again, you have bonuses to both and the flexibility to use either at any time) it is certainly true that the class ability completely ignores that half of the character, and that's no good. It's already not a particularly strong class, so I could probably just have the bonus damage from the active scale off of magic damage as well - maybe even give a flat damage boost based on level, since it scales really poorly as-is.

Thank you for taking the time to look over it. ^_^

And yeah, I agree - especially with mods making the +All Damage/+% All Damage stat more common (The One Ring from thorium mod, the Souls of X from mutant/etc mods, etc), its a bish to balance around cause we ain't talking just Celestial Stones and Menacing enchantments anymore. The only thing I could think of is a decaying stacking: Like only 50% of your other stat is applied to your actively-used damage stat. Perhaps gaining more scaling with boss skills, up to like 75% by moon lord? I dunno. Sadly, I have no clue how to mod terraria myself or I would try to toy around with some numbers to see how it feels. q-q All I can do is theorycraft with my group and test what I can get my hands on.

But, then again, if people got stuff like spirit mod, thorium mod, calamity mod, and tremor mod - they arn't exactly looking for balanced. XD Could always make it a config option for each class I suppose so people could scale it based on what they are aiming for, power-wise. Huh. Config-based class customization would be pretty sweet actually. -/drool. Though, that would probly be a pain in the :red: to work in. lol.

ok, thoughts...
I enjoy the idea of a D&D sort of set up like you got here, however, I feel like there isn't enough variety in the classes...
Melee gets a damage, tank, and attack speed set up, which is fine, but the other classes don't get such diversity in their choices in the event you want to use a single damage type the entire game like several people do
for ranged, I recommend a class to give more ammo reservation, make it so they don't consume as many arrows, and magic can also have a low mana cost or a fast mana regen class also to help it out, as for summoners, I feel like there should be a choice between quality of a summon or quantity, meaning you could either have less but stronger summons or more weaker ones
again, I love this mod, and it is really fun to mess around with, just these couple of things to boost the experience and make it more replayable would help, past that, only thing I could ask for is a sort of heat based class that is strongest near lava during the day, and weakest in water at night while it is raining, maybe this lavamancer can get a lava charm to give them 7 second immunity to lava as their starter equipment and the ability can be something like causing a heat wave to power up similar to the merfolk class, I know it could cause overlap, but that just makes this seem more fun if you ask me
Thanks for hearing me out

@Hero_Expert, I dunno but, I would absolutely adore a bard / healer (and bard/healer hybrid classes) from thorium added to this myself. I would also mention tremor mods "Alchemist" class/damage type, but, honestly, I don't think it needed to exist with throwing/magic/etc being a thing. < _ < -shrug. General healer ideas;

Healer: -10% All Non-Radiant Damage. +1 HP healing on allies. Killing a boss gives +1 HP healing on allies. Active: Move angel's active to healer, allow bonus healing to apply to the aura heal.

Paladin: +5% Radiant Damage, +5% Melee Damage, -20% All Other Damage. Higher Threat, +2 Defense. Killing a boss gives +4% radiant and melee damage or +1 defense. Active: Become shrouded in holy light, taunting all enemies in a large radius and becoming temporarily invulnerable for 3 seconds. At the end of this duration, a nova of holy energy erupts, damaging all enemies around you and applying ichor debuff. Damage is based on radiant/melee damage/level.

Cleric: +5% Radiant Damage, +5% Minion Damage, -20% All Other Damage. Killing a boss grants +4% radiant and minion damage. Active: Empower your minions with the power of your radiant power, applying 50% of your radiant bonus damage as bonus damage to your minions for 8 seconds.

Hey! I would love to see a "Hero" class, which would be really weak early on the game, but really strong later on. Something like "-20% to all damage, +4% to all damage after each boss is killed". And for the active ability, "Hero's Grasp: Doubles all stats for 30 seconds, then halves all stats for 30 seconds".

hi im a celestial and im level 10 but i dont get any orbs around me and i saw on the forum that you would get 1 every 3 levels can someone please explain what i need to do

got to say, the conjuror using ranged armor and weapons is the most powerful thing honestly, you get the power of multiple summons and then ranged ability, since sometimes the conjuror gives more minions naturally after beating a boss

ok, so I had a few mods on, including CheatSheet, not to cheat, but to do an invasion playthrough, first, my blank contract doesn't appear in my inventory, so I think "well... I was supposed to have one, so I'll spawn one in with CheatSheet" I find something interesting, an unimplemented class called the Heritor, can somebody shed light on this?

ok, so I had a few mods on, including CheatSheet, not to cheat, but to do an invasion playthrough, first, my blank contract doesn't appear in my inventory, so I think "well... I was supposed to have one, so I'll spawn one in with CheatSheet" I find something interesting, an unimplemented class called the Heritor, can somebody shed light on this?
New class to be added ? and it sound like a class to play whit thorium healer mecanique XD y hope the mod creator will answer your question
Edit: y try the special is seem to summon a weapon to help you ... maybe annother summoning based class?

New class to be added ? and it sound like a class to play whit thorium healer mecanique XD y hope the mod creator will answer your question
Edit: y try the special is seem to summon a weapon to help you ... maybe annother summoning based class?
well... I forgot to mention, the description of the Heritor was that it used ancient weapons... and when I used it, it didn't give any items...

Allright...SO.I was testing the heritor class,and this is what i found:

Ability

First use: 4 weapons will pop up above your character switching themselves.
Seconf use: You choose the weapon that is above your character.

Phoenix blaster: Shots in 3 round bursts,medium damage,sentry,grants ranged damage
Night's Edge: Keeps dashing through the enemy,high damage,penetrates,grants melee damage
Dark Lance: Keeps dashing towards the enemy,incredible damage,penetrates,grants double jump,grants melee damage
Some kind of white dagger: Keeps attacking an enemy,high attacking rate,medium damage,grants melee damage

I hope this helped.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom