tModLoader Class Based RPG Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about a class specializing on melee weapons with Projectiles? Such as Enchanted Sword, Starfury, Ice Sword, True Excalibur, True Nights Edge, Terra Blade, Chlorophite melee weapons, Death Scythe, Meowmere, etc...

He could increase the damage of the projectile instead of the weapon. His special could even add a projectile to whichever melee weapon the player uses.

There are awesome and unique ideas used and in concept for/in this mod, and I'd very much love to pitch in my plethora of ideas.

For now, I introduce
THE CHAOS SPAWN CLASS
Summary: Extremely focused on rather exaggerated mobility, the Chaos Spawn can have aplenty of multiple uses with such focus;explore the underground, avoid attacks, or just traversing the surface faster. They also gain bonuses from being within their "home", the Hollow.
Starting Items:
Rod of Discord
Hollow Seeds x10
Upon Selection Stats:
-15% All Damage
-5% Movement Speed
-5% Jump Height
Upon Level Up:
+3% Movement Speed/Top Speed
OR
+3% Jump Height
Special Attibutes/Abilities:
PASSIVE
: Hollowed Resonance
Upon entering a Hollowed Biome, gain 2% movement speed/jump height. Damage from Chaos State is slightly reduced.
ACTIVE
: Chaotic Immunity
Upon activation, become immune to Chaotic State (and/or its effects) for 2 seconds.

That's it for my current ideas. I have much more, but for now I just wanted to flesh this class out and give ideas to you all.

Did you perhaps meant "Hallow" biome? Cause "Hollow" is something else entirely...

Other than that, only issue is Rod of Discord being a hard-to-acquire-hardmode item. If he has negative to damage and reduced defense it could be considered a balanced "scout" type class though!

Haha, you might as well give it the portal gun too and further reduce stats to make him a very mobile yet frail scout!

The idea seems quite nice in a way.

Did you perhaps meant "Hallow" biome? Cause "Hollow" is something else entirely...
Yes, I mean the Hallow. My mistake.

Other than that, only issue is Rod of Discord being a hard-to-acquire-hardmode item. If he has negative to damage and reduced defense it could be considered a balanced "scout" type class though!
That's what I intend, although the Rod of Discord can be "coverted" into an Active Ability, and completely abandon my original Active. A Chaos Spawn class starts with 10 Hallow Seeds. Just got me thinking of such new active:

Chaoshift (Chao-shift? What?)
Teleport in a targeted direction/location similar to a Rod of Discord.
Similar to the Chaos Elementals themselves, casting Chaoshift doesn't take any health. However, it has a lengthy cooldown.

(Similar to the actual Enemy, they teleport and for free, wait a good bit (while moving pretty fast during that time) then teleport again)

I don't know. This is up to Hiccup, I'm just giving some more suggestions.

Like I posted on his page, I really hope these two really do some collabs. I see a lot of potential in this!

Likewise,

One doing some general class paths the other vast quantities of class specializations.

One doing doing exp and level up bonuses, the other boss conquest and proggression bonuses.

One doing quests and npcs, the other doing unique special abilities.

Hiccup. You have either competition, a potential partner, a co-worker, or simply an acquaitance!

Link
Like I posted on his page, I really hope these two really do some collabs. I see a lot of potential in this!
We seem to be approaching a similar idea from different angles. Looking at what's there so far, I don't really think collaboration is in order - I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and presumably he will as well. I don't plan to do anything with this mod that would make it not compatible with his.

Likewise,

One doing some general class paths the other vast quantities of class specializations.

One doing doing exp and level up bonuses, the other boss conquest and proggression bonuses.

One doing quests and npcs, the other doing unique special abilities.
This division seems accurate to me, at least on my end. I don't really plan to add any NPCs or other mechanics outside of abilities and stat growth for each class. I don't want to speak for @Ivysaur, but it would probably be better to send such suggestions his way. I know what I want to do with this mod, and outside of a few QoL additions like a way to check your progression and/or bonuses, it's really unlikely that I'll be doing something else with this.

Actives update is up. 19 classes have been given active abilities, and the rest have the generic healing ability for now. The OP is updated with information on these new abilities, but let me know if something is unclear. Be sure to make me aware of any bugs, and feedback on these is more than welcome.

Edit: Be sure to bind the hotkey in the in-game menu (Settings>Controls, then scroll to the bottom). tModLoader doesn't currently set hotkeys to their default.

Actives update is up. 19 classes have been given active abilities, and the rest have the generic healing ability for now. The OP is updated with information on these new abilities, but let me know if something is unclear. Be sure to make me aware of any bugs, and feedback on these is more than welcome.
Oh hell yes!
[doublepost=1465158151,1465158111][/doublepost]I anxiously wait for a post from you. There's always bound to be a nice update.

So, relating to the Soulbounds ability, does it have a cooldown before you can use it again, or are you able to use it right away after the curse? If so, being a pure summoner would benefit from that, since you wouldn't be using other weapons. Also, a question for Soulbound in general, how do sentry summons work?

So, relating to the Soulbounds ability, does it have a cooldown before you can use it again, or are you able to use it right away after the curse? If so, being a pure summoner would benefit from that, since you wouldn't be using other weapons. Also, a question for Soulbound in general, how do sentry summons work?
There's a 30 second cooldown currently, so 20 seconds downtime. If popular opinion is that there should be no cooldown, I'll take it into consideration.

I, uh... seem to have forgotten about sentry summons. Soulbound might be a little broken if you use those. I'll look into a way to make the distinction between the two and make sure they aren't getting that ridiculous damage boost.

Edit: Looks like the sentry summons aren't even categorized as minions, so I'll probably have to make changes individually by ID. Don't think there's a way for me to detect modded sentries.

Edit2: Alright, the vanilla sentries are fixed for the next patch. The item will still display their damage as if it were really high, but they will ignore the Soulbound damage bonus. I decided not to mess with the Stardust Guardian's damage, since he's awfully weak already and I wish he was better.

Last edited:
Demon's active is awesome! Passive spawn and "shielding" intresting, but throving is... uncomfortable. Missiles often start moving under blocks and disappear... Maybe allow missiles pass through blocks or shooting it out center character? It's make this ability more usefull. And... maybe give missiles little light?

P.S. Why demons fire purpure color? Maybe red or orange? ^__^

Demon's active is awesome! Passive spawn and "shielding" intresting, but throving is... uncomfortable. Missiles often start moving under blocks and disappear... Maybe allow missiles pass through blocks or shooting it out center character? It's make this ability more usefull. And... maybe give missiles little light?

P.S. Why demons fire purpure color? Maybe red or orange? ^__^
Thanks for the feedback. I've messed with the code to allow them 1/4 second after firing before they will collide with tiles, and I think it feels a lot better. The projectiles already do give off some purple light, both while floating near the player and after firing. The reason the light is purple is that demons in Terraria exclusively use purple magic; both the Demon Scythe and Unholy Trident are purple and give off purple light.

Anyway, the collision changes will take effect next patch.

Oh, yes... Demon Scytle is purpure - i forget this. Thanks for fix melee damage for demon-class.

Blood Knight active work correctly. Blood for the Blood God!

UPD: if berserk-class no have unique active, maybe give him simple: boost melee damage, move and attack speed, gain lifesteal but lose hp every seconds?

Last edited:
Quick update with a few more actives that were pretty simple to implement, as well as a handful of small changes and bugfixes. We're up to 22 classes with abilities now!

It would be awesome if you could make a fisherman class :D

Basically just gives them increased fishing power, starts them off with a wooden rod and Angler armor, and lowers their combat stats, perhaps throw in a net as a side thing. The tradeoff being a high potential for profit and loot to be able to supplement their handicaps.

For actives I have two ideas:
Better Crate Potion: On a decently long cooldown but it allows the fisherman to essentially have like a 25% chance of fishing a crate while in effect, as opposed to the much lower normal rates.
Master Baiter (har har har): Summons 10 of one of the baits in the game (Apprentice, Journeyman, Master)

I myself love fishing in Terraria and would love to see it get the same love. Love love love.

Hey Hiccup, what are your thoughts on maybe resetting the Ninja class' active if they kill the target before it detonates? Maybe even resetting it if the mark itself kills the target as well. Figured I'd shoot two of those ideas your way to see your thoughts on 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom